texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Texas Tactical Depo, Masav05, 19MAD81, Lifechaser, WILDWHIT
68796 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 108,608
stxranchman 58,235
SnakeWrangler 57,521
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 43,681
BMD 41,222
Big Orn 37,484
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics609,794
Posts11,412,216
Members83,796
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
YO Ranch #8353756 08/17/21 12:49 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 217
N
nick_adams Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 217
A friend of mine is thinking about hunting Bison at the YO ranch. Anybody hunted there? How was it?

Any place else anyone would recommend for Bison?

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations!

Re: YO Ranch [Re: nick_adams] #8355102 08/18/21 01:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 11,739
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 11,739
Chasin dreams outdoors

Re: YO Ranch [Re: nick_adams] #8360126 08/23/21 02:22 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
J
JOBK Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
mtroutfitters.com, 36 1 947 4131

Re: YO Ranch [Re: nick_adams] #8373063 09/02/21 11:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,848
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,848
I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.


Crotchety old bastidge
Re: YO Ranch [Re: therancher] #8373595 09/03/21 01:33 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by therancher
I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.

That sounds like a really good deal to me.
I'd assume a cow would yield at least 500 lbs or so of meat??


High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: YO Ranch [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8373911 09/03/21 07:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,848
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,848
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by therancher
I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.

That sounds like a really good deal to me.
I'd assume a cow would yield at least 500 lbs or so of meat??



Nope. They average around 1000 on the hoof and yield around 300-350. Bison aren’t cattle.


Crotchety old bastidge
Re: YO Ranch [Re: therancher] #8374089 09/03/21 10:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,808
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,808
Originally Posted by therancher
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by therancher
I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.

That sounds like a really good deal to me.
I'd assume a cow would yield at least 500 lbs or so of meat??



Nope. They average around 1000 on the hoof and yield around 300-350. Bison aren’t cattle.

Now if you could eat the head and hide you could get over the 500 mark.

Re: YO Ranch [Re: don k] #8377023 09/07/21 01:25 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,848
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,848
You ain’t wrong Don!


Crotchety old bastidge
Re: YO Ranch [Re: therancher] #8378553 09/08/21 01:41 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by therancher
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by therancher
I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.

That sounds like a really good deal to me.
I'd assume a cow would yield at least 500 lbs or so of meat??



Nope. They average around 1000 on the hoof and yield around 300-350. Bison aren’t cattle.

So a bison only yields 30%-35%?
Wow


High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: YO Ranch [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8378988 09/08/21 08:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,808
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,808
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by therancher
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by therancher
I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.

That sounds like a really good deal to me.
I'd assume a cow would yield at least 500 lbs or so of meat??



Nope. They average around 1000 on the hoof and yield around 300-350. Bison aren’t cattle.

So a bison only yields 30%-35%?
Wow

Cattle only yield about 41% pure meat. Hide, guts, bones and whatever else you don't eat make up the other 59%.

Re: YO Ranch [Re: nick_adams] #8379547 09/09/21 12:11 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by don k

Cattle only yield about 41% pure meat. Hide, guts, bones and whatever else you don't eat make up the other 59%.

Right
I just assumed that a bison would be above that for some reason. But I guess there is a thicker hide on them and maybe even heavier bone.


High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: YO Ranch [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8379661 09/09/21 02:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,848
E
Eland Slayer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
E
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,848
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by don k

Cattle only yield about 41% pure meat. Hide, guts, bones and whatever else you don't eat make up the other 59%.

Right
I just assumed that a bison would be above that for some reason. But I guess there is a thicker hide on them and maybe even heavier bone.


Bison have substantially less meat yield than cattle. I learned this after shooting several for meat, back when they were more affordable. Their hair is much thicker, and the "hump" on their back is actually mostly hide and bone. If you look at a diagram of their skeletal structure, you will notice the extremely large vertebrae that are present in the hump area (see below). It has always fascinated me that their spines are actually straight, like most game or cattle species. The hump is only a result of the taller vertebrae.

[Linked Image]

Re: YO Ranch [Re: Eland Slayer] #8379943 09/09/21 06:58 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by Eland Slayer
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by don k

Cattle only yield about 41% pure meat. Hide, guts, bones and whatever else you don't eat make up the other 59%.

Right
I just assumed that a bison would be above that for some reason. But I guess there is a thicker hide on them and maybe even heavier bone.


Bison have substantially less meat yield than cattle. I learned this after shooting several for meat, back when they were more affordable. Their hair is much thicker, and the "hump" on their back is actually mostly hide and bone. If you look at a diagram of their skeletal structure, you will notice the extremely large vertebrae that are present in the hump area (see below). It has always fascinated me that their spines are actually straight, like most game or cattle species. The hump is only a result of the taller vertebrae.

[Linked Image]

Great info
Thank you sir


High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3