Print Thread
5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. #8352865 08/16/21 03:16 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
My six orphaned piglets went to three a week ago, and I thought it went to two friday night as i had an unrecovered hit. I'm thinking I winged it only. Out again tonight, 830 the little black piglets show up on cue. Shot. Squealing, one went right but the squealing was on the left. I thought "Not again!". But it didnt run off - it was kinda running in circles but didnt look necessarily injured either, but def. squealing. Second shot dropped him but was a gut shot and he was still alive. I was checking him out and heard grunting in the treeline 10 yards away. I suspect it was his buddy so I fired a few rounds just in case.

Anyway, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I hit him the first time. Then I saw it. His ear. There was some dirt on it and I didnt look too hard, but hard enough to see whether or not it was fresh or 2 days old. My guess is fresh. Seems shot one winged him and rang his bell enough to disorient him. No other wounds other than the gut shot. [ I did put him down.]

Attached Files 20210815_220036.jpg20210815_215913.jpg
Last edited by Douglas Tipton; 08/16/21 03:18 AM.
Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8352886 08/16/21 04:17 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
My six orphaned piglets went to three a week ago, and I thought it went to two friday night as i had an unrecovered hit. I'm thinking I winged it only. Out again tonight, 830 the little black piglets show up on cue. Shot. Squealing, one went right but the squealing was on the left. I thought "Not again!". But it didnt run off - it was kinda running in circles but didnt look necessarily injured either, but def. squealing. Second shot dropped him but was a gut shot and he was still alive. I was checking him out and heard grunting in the treeline 10 yards away. I suspect it was his buddy so I fired a few rounds just in case.

Anyway, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I hit him the first time. Then I saw it. His ear. There was some dirt on it and I didnt look too hard, but hard enough to see whether or not it was fresh or 2 days old. My guess is fresh. Seems shot one winged him and rang his bell enough to disorient him. No other wounds other than the gut shot. [ I did put him down.]

So now you are taking sound shots when you don't have a target identified that you can see?? Scary stuff, Maynard.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8352983 08/16/21 11:52 AM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Appreciate the concern, but the situation was far more specific and far safer than you insinuate and honestly I don't owe you those details. Your post comments tend to get judgemental, somewhat arrogant, and have a flare of snarkiness and and it's not appreciated at least by me. Other ways of saying the same thing without being abrasive.

Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8353049 08/16/21 12:51 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Whoa …

Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8353132 08/16/21 01:49 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
Appreciate the concern, but the situation was far more specific and far safer than you insinuate and honestly I don't owe you those details. Your post comments tend to get judgemental, somewhat arrogant, and have a flare of snarkiness and and it's not appreciated at least by me. Other ways of saying the same thing without being abrasive.

Abusive? LOL. You are taking sound shots on targets you did NOT identify and could not see (by your own admission)..and you seem proud of it.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08/16/21 02:41 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Biscuit] #8353830 08/17/21 02:01 AM
P
pdr55 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by Biscuit
Whoa …

Yes, absolutely WHOA!
Never, never discharge a firearm at just a sound!
You should be ashamed of yourself as a hunter.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: pdr55] #8354266 08/17/21 04:16 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by pdr55
Whoa …

Yes, absolutely WHOA!

By the sound of this thread somehow it’s going to be Double Naughts fault…

Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Biscuit] #8354560 08/17/21 09:51 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by pdr55
Whoa …

Yes, absolutely WHOA!

By the sound of this thread somehow it’s going to be Double Naughts fault…

roflmao

Well.....somebody's got to be the ScapeGoat, right?

And if Brian does good at that....we can promote him to 'Whipping Boy' which is almost the same thing.

But seriously, a person should NEVER take a 'sound shot', its irresponsible....period!

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8354659 08/17/21 11:34 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
As a guest on a Deer lease I was dropped off at a stand one morning and told my friend I would just walk back to camp. Before I got to camp I heard a crack and something bouncing through the trees. Then I heard a crack and it hit a tree right by my head and I realized someone was shooting at me. I started yelling, but a third shot rang out again ricocheting off trees next to my head. I hit the deck and yelled louder. Turns out a family member guest of one of the other lease members had seen a Coyote in the trash behind camp, heard me walking towards camp, assumed I was the Coyote he saw and was taking shots towards the sound hoping to hit it. He almost did.

Please don't do this no matter how sure you are that the sound your shooting at is not a person. You will eventually kill someone if you continue to do so.

Re: 5th set in a row and a bit of a mystery. [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8354828 08/18/21 01:54 AM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Again, I appreciate what you all are saying. Dont disagree at all and I would never take a wanton. I've seen plenty shots that are arguably more questionable, some by people who post here regularly. I dont think there's anybody on here that hasn't read or seen something that made us go "hmmm, not sure I would have taken that shot" or some other act we would demand as unethical. Running and gunning from a 4-wheeler? Some of that seems far more dangerous than what has been insinuated here. I won't judge these situations (beyond the passing "hmmmm" thought) because I wasn't there and I know no details or specifics. I'm not judging anybody nor am I waging any personal attacks or referring to someone with a "redneck" perjorative. I won't be walked on either, so I spoke up and I stand by my response.

I'm moving forward. Thanks for your concern.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide