Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: BenBob] #8349908 08/13/21 01:32 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BenBob
Spreading his genes around is a misnomer in my books as a reason to not shoot a buck. Reading some studies on that and was surprised when the number of a dominant buck being very prolific if he breeds 7 does. Say he breeds 10 a year, that is still not a very high number, especially when you factor in all the reasons that could take him out in a year. The only thing I would wait on is to see what he looks like in the fall. I think then he will look much older and mature than he does now. Good luck on whatever you all decide.

BenBob, kind of the way I look at passing a buck to let him pass on genes. You said he maybe breeds 7 a year, Ive heard more like 3. Then you figure all dont survive so youre down to 2. Half those are female so youre down to ONE. I know thats just a bunch of numbers but its not far off in the real world of wild free ranging WT. Then consider the fairly recent studies that seem to have merit, that say you cannot tell much about what type antlers a buck will sire by looking at the Daddys rack. That one is controversial but its out there.
Lots of reasons to cull the bad ones, but to me, not too many reasons to pass the good ones.
If hes old enough and you like him, I say hunt him down.

Last edited by freerange; 08/13/21 01:34 AM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: freerange] #8349983 08/13/21 03:01 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange
Spreading his genes around is a misnomer in my books as a reason to not shoot a buck. Reading some studies on that and was surprised when the number of a dominant buck being very prolific if he breeds 7 does. Say he breeds 10 a year, that is still not a very high number, especially when you factor in all the reasons that could take him out in a year. The only thing I would wait on is to see what he looks like in the fall. I think then he will look much older and mature than he does now. Good luck on whatever you all decide.

BenBob, kind of the way I look at passing a buck to let him pass on genes. You said he maybe breeds 7 a year, Ive heard more like 3. Then you figure all dont survive so youre down to 2. Half those are female so youre down to ONE. I know thats just a bunch of numbers but its not far off in the real world of wild free ranging WT. Then consider the fairly recent studies that seem to have merit, that say you cannot tell much about what type antlers a buck will sire by looking at the Daddys rack. That one is controversial but its out there.
Lots of reasons to cull the bad ones, but to me, not too many reasons to pass the good ones.

no reason not to take a mature buck if he has a rack you like.

Its not like this is his first year getting to breed. Multiple studies have shown that deer are most active in the boom boom room at 3 and 4 years old.

Its been a common theme as long as I've been around to let an exceptional buck walk at 6 or even 7 years old " to spread his genes" as if he is the only deer in the pasture.

If your managament program is tight enough letting 6 and 7 year old bucks walk in hopes they get bigger is perfectly fine, but on majority of places don't kid yourself in thinking this old deer is gonna be the don juan of the pasture. Most likely he is content to eating and not getting his arse kicked by other bucks

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: txtrophy85] #8350082 08/13/21 11:34 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

no reason not to take a mature buck if he has a rack you like.

Its not like this is his first year getting to breed. Multiple studies have shown that deer are most active in the boom boom room at 3 and 4 years old.

Its been a common theme as long as I've been around to let an exceptional buck walk at 6 or even 7 years old " to spread his genes" as if he is the only deer in the pasture.

If your managament program is tight enough letting 6 and 7 year old bucks walk in hopes they get bigger is perfectly fine, but on majority of places don't kid yourself in thinking this old deer is gonna be the don juan of the pasture. Most likely he is content to eating and not getting his arse kicked by other bucks

I agree with you all 100%

Now, if you are letting a buck have a pass from 5 to 6, 6 to 7, or even 7 to 8 to let him have a chance to get even bigger.....more power to you and good luck because you can't shoot a 170" when he is 160". lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8367626 08/29/21 03:03 PM
B
b weezy Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well the lease owner still says he’s 4 so he gets a pass this season…. Hopefully he stays on our place…

Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8368746 08/30/21 01:56 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
No way I'm seeing 4.5, especially in the last 2 pics.

I think I'd find another lease with another lease manager!! eek2

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8368765 08/30/21 02:07 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I dont see a 4 year old either.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8369199 08/30/21 08:21 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by b weezy
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well the lease owner still says he’s 4 so he gets a pass this season…. Hopefully he stays on our place…

You're not going to have much success on this lease then. I'd shoot him this year at 6, maybe 7 years old and find another lease next year.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8648919 07/25/22 11:08 PM
B
b weezy Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
He’s back! I had this buck at my feeder every morning and every evening last summer up until mid October. After that he disappeared and know one on the lease seen him again until my buddy whose set up is close to a mile away from mine starting getting him on camera in mid January. He basically stayed at his feeder until he shed. I put my camera out 3 weeks ago and when I checked it today he was back to his old pattern of showing up everyday twice a day! But I didn’t have him the past 3 days, my buddy called after checking his camera and he was back over at his pen. Hopefully he finishes our nice and gets back over to my feeder so I can have a chance at him during bow season! I lost sleep over this deer last season after the lease owner put him on the no kill list so there’s nothing more I want than to kill this big buck but I would also be really proud if my buddy got him too! I’ll post pics as he continues to grow!

Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: freerange] #8649062 07/26/22 01:41 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by redchevy
He's mature, I see no reason to let that deer walk.

He could throw a fawn that looks just like him, he could breed nothing at all, or his offspring could be a no brow 6 or a goofy 7 point etc. Native free range deer are Hinz 57 mutts, the gene pool that created him is in the rest of your deer, it was before he was born and it will still be there after he is gone.

I agree with redchevy and just about everyone else. Great deer, old enough and worrying about decisions based on who breeds who and when is an unrealistic task.

Especially in Williamson county - deer like him will be taken down quickly - he is at the top end of what can grow in that county (other than lake Granger area which produces some amazing bucks)

Last edited by tlk; 07/26/22 01:42 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8649092 07/26/22 02:11 AM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
He has a lot to grow yet but with the drought I bet he was better last year than he will be this year. We did the same thing a few years ago let a 12 pt walk at 5 only to have a dud rain year the next year, he put on mass but lost inches from the year before.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: redchevy] #8649095 07/26/22 02:14 AM
B
b weezy Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by redchevy
He has a lot to grow yet but with the drought I bet he was better last year than he will be this year. We did the same thing a few years ago let a 12 pt walk at 5 only to have a dud rain year the next year, he put on mass but lost inches from the year before.

I can already tell the forks on his 2s won’t be as deep, but I do think his 3s will fork this season

Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8649108 07/26/22 02:23 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Definitely won’t be as big this year, I bet your land owner says to give him another year, hopefully not. I’m not sure at his age he can rebound and be better next year. Likely the same as he is this year.

Good luck on a beautiful buck cheers

Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8649125 07/26/22 02:56 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
He still has about 3 weeks to 4 weeks of growing time left. I've seen bucks put on a lot of inches when they looked to be about done this time of the year.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Letting him walk🤷🏻‍♂️ [Re: b weezy] #8649155 07/26/22 04:29 AM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Maybe it’s not as crispy where he eats.

It's hell eatin em live
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index