Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,870
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season #8348896 08/12/21 11:32 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
For me in 2021, will be to see an ample number of animals throughout the season of varying age/size classes; staying free of COVID or any other major medical ailment and simply enjoying my time in the field in this my 45th year of hunting. What say you all?

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349089 08/12/21 02:13 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
At least 2 bags of marshmallows consumed by me and my grandkids.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349123 08/12/21 02:40 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I am keeping my expectations pretty loose this year, but I want me and my wife to both tag good bucks in Ohio, take a good Mule Deer in West Texas and both my boys get bucks.

So much going on right now in the world, and locally......I have started not to set any expectations because I don't want to be disappointed. I am fortunate to have places to hunt so that is the biggest blessing.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349148 08/12/21 03:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
That I almost get fired for hunting to much

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349168 08/12/21 03:20 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
losing "things" is bad enuff, losing your job would be the icing

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8349190 08/12/21 03:35 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Ive often wondered about that....
Coming through town tomorrow and thought about inviting you to lunch, but wouldnt want you to chance getting fired........

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349194 08/12/21 03:37 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Would like to get a shot at a buck I have seen the past 2 years on camera. Going to take the youngest grandson out this year.

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8349206 08/12/21 03:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Technically I was not fired for hunting but I quit a job before they could fire. I had been drawn on a hunt on a WMA back in the mid 80's. I knew in Sept and the day of the hunt was the day before Thanksgiving. I asked the GM of the company for that day off and his response: "Sure don't see a problem with it". Well late on Monday afternoon of Thanksgiving week he walks up to me an says "You can not have Wed. off". I look him square in the eye and said you told me you did see a problem with it and I have made the plans. He said sorry, I said have my paycheck ready in the morning, I will be in to pick it up. Came back Tuesday, met with the owner of the company and he asked me what I happened. I told him basically his GM lied to me and I quit because of it. He handed me my check and we shook hands. I left and never looked back. Enjoyed my hunt and then hunted everyday of the season after that.
Although the next job has been the only job I have had that I was fired from and it was for fishing to much....they sugar coated it in a different way...I did live on a lake and did fish everyday after work and weekends though. roflmao

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349396 08/12/21 05:59 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Trying to get 50% of our doe quota, 100% of the red deer quota, and to put some lead in one 7.5yr old 8pt who is on his third year of eluding me. On a personal note, riding that fine line of getting out to the ranch enough for me and staying in town enough for the Mrs....

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: stxranchman] #8349434 08/12/21 06:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Technically I was not fired for hunting but I quit a job before they could fire. I had been drawn on a hunt on a WMA back in the mid 80's. I knew in Sept and the day of the hunt was the day before Thanksgiving. I asked the GM of the company for that day off and his response: "Sure don't see a problem with it". Well late on Monday afternoon of Thanksgiving week he walks up to me an says "You can not have Wed. off". I look him square in the eye and said you told me you did see a problem with it and I have made the plans. He said sorry, I said have my paycheck ready in the morning, I will be in to pick it up. Came back Tuesday, met with the owner of the company and he asked me what I happened. I told him basically his GM lied to me and I quit because of it. He handed me my check and we shook hands. I left and never looked back. Enjoyed my hunt and then hunted everyday of the season after that.
Although the next job has been the only job I have had that I was fired from and it was for fishing to much....they sugar coated it in a different way...I did live on a lake and did fish everyday after work and weekends though. roflmao

I just submitted time of for a week off in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan...... My boss said any damn tag you didn't draw.. Yes but hold on Texas hast drawn yet..lol

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349439 08/12/21 06:40 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
if you lose your job, STX will hire you to do some lawn maintenance, but you will have to bring your own weedeater.

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: Hudbone] #8349442 08/12/21 06:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
if you lose your job, STX will hire you to do some lawn maintenance, but you will have to bring your own weedeater.

Ha!! His food plots couldn't be more blessed if I took over. With his money I could have his soil good enough to bale pea hay 4x year

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8349621 08/12/21 09:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Ha!! His food plots couldn't be more blessed if I took over. With his money I could have his soil good enough to bale pea hay 4x year

Well from Dr. Bozo to Dr. Rock Farmer to Dr. Watermelon Farmer...has a nice ring to it. Bring it on...bring your equipment.... I will sit back and enjoy the master at work on 3" to 6" of topsoil. popcorn

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349643 08/12/21 09:39 PM
S
Stetsonoverton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I’d love to get a mature trophy off one place and a cull off my other. Don’t plan to chase Any muleys unless a big one pops up but I’ll prolly give them all a pass this year

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: stxranchman] #8349807 08/13/21 12:12 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Well from Dr. Bozo to Dr. Rock Farmer to Dr. Watermelon Farmer...has a nice ring to it. Bring it on...bring your equipment.... I will sit back and enjoy the master at work on 3" to 6" of topsoil. popcorn

See you missed the your money part!!! We be importing!!!

I actually feel bad about killing the watermelons. Kids aren't happy with pops

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8349827 08/13/21 12:32 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

See you missed the your money part!!! We be importing!!!

I actually feel bad about killing the watermelons. Kids aren't happy with pops

Add that to legendary list of mishaps for the Clown. grin

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: stxranchman] #8349879 08/13/21 01:08 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Would the rest of you laugh at me if I said that my goal was to end the year without having my lease sold out from under me? That's what happened each of the last two years ...

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: syncerus] #8349920 08/13/21 01:42 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by syncerus
Would the rest of you laugh at me if I said that my goal was to end the year without having my lease sold out from under me? That's what happened each of the last two years ...

Wow. It happens a lot and lately more often but Ive never heard of two years in a row. Good luck.
Thats one reason I really feel good about my new lease is the ownership situation is as good as you can get. Never can say never, but it looks real good and its always something I consider on a real serious lease.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349927 08/13/21 01:48 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I am happy with one plump doe. As a meat hunter I place more value on burger than antlers.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8349948 08/13/21 02:10 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Kids have fun, dad and wife get to relax by the campfire. Rest doesn’t really matter anymore.

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8350129 08/13/21 12:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The same goal as every season, to stay safe and healthy enough to enjoy the next one.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8351779 08/14/21 10:11 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
To take several does to try and get our full number of tags filled. I would also like to see in person or on camera, a better than 13" buck.

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8351807 08/14/21 11:06 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I've been sidelined from hunting or even shooting off the bench to stay in tune the last couple years, with medical issues both mine and the Better Half's, not related to the Covid Pandemic Thank you Jesus, but losing 2 of my longtime Lease Pard's to cancer with a 3rd one house bound with Lung problems, and close to getting his wishes for his ash's to be spread on Lake Texoma is weighing on me to GET IT Done THIS YEAR for sure. Gonna check out the new Neches property, that is less than 45 minutes from the house.

All my free time these last couple years has been consumed with keeping up with a growing antique and furniture resell business but am looking forward to finding a way this year to pull the trigger on a critter that'll go in the freezer. But....Just getting out in the woods with a rifle in hand will be a treat worth looking forward to at my 77 years on Father Time's Clock....and would bigtime more better if I can draw a successfull TPW Lottery Hunt one more time.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8351808 08/14/21 11:07 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Must be getting older, I just want time in the stand and see some deer. If the right one shows up he's mine. No pressure and will enjoy the day.

Re: What Will Constitute a Successful Deer Hunting Season [Re: DQ Kid] #8351840 08/14/21 11:35 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
This year will be a little different for me. I don't care if I kill anything. My goal is to put my kids on as many animals as possible.

I want my baby girl to get her first kill if she's ready, and I want my youngest Son to shoot another deer or a pig with his new rifle that he doesn't know about yet (thanks Angus).

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide