Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348959 08/12/21 12:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nothing wrong in my opinion with someone paying a professional to disassemble and clean their firearm if they have the money. In fact, I would recommend it to those who aren't very mechanically inclined. Talk to any gunsmith and I'm sure they'll tell you that people who shouldn't be taking their guns apart help generate business. They'll likely also tell you that improper cleaning methods have led to the early demise of many a rifle barrel.

While I change my own oil and perform all the routine maintenance and basic repairs (at least for me) on all by vehicles, I understand completely when others prefer to pay a professional to do it for them.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/12/21 12:50 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Texas Dan] #8348980 08/12/21 12:58 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Nothing wrong in my opinion with someone paying a professional to disassemble and clean their firearm if they have the money. In fact, I would recommend it to those who aren't very mechanically inclined. Talk to any gunsmith and I'm sure they'll tell you that people who shouldn't be taking their guns apart help generate business. They'll likely also tell you that improper cleaning methods have led to the early demise of many a rifle barrel.

While I change my own oil and perform all the routine maintenance and basic repairs (at least for me) on all by vehicles, I understand completely when others prefer to pay a professional to do it for them.

Paying someone to do it for you for convenience vs paying them because you don’t know any better is two different things. I’ve restored 3 old cars and built several race motors, but I no longer change my own oil. I’d sooner undertake an engine swap than an oil change. It’s about convenience for me.

Sorry, got off subject, if you don’t mind paying, pay a gunsmith to teach you. They tend to be grumpy because they deal with know it all people all day. Go with the intent to learn and they will be much more open.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348981 08/12/21 12:59 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Fair enough. I guess I assumed this was a bolt action rifle and also it being a fairly new gun all one really needs is the bore cleaned. That said, god bless the world of youtube and the like. It has a how to video on dang near everything, just sifting through what is bs is a little difficult.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Korean Redneck] #8348989 08/12/21 01:03 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
That said, god bless the world of youtube and the like. It has a how to video on dang near everything, just sifting through what is bs is a little difficult.

Amen. YouTube can also be a great resource for deciding if a job is more than you can handle, or simply don't want to handle.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8349032 08/12/21 01:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
No, go to range and get the oil out of the barrel and check your zero after a few rounds. In fact practice a little.

Hello BOBO the Clown,

Thank you so much for responding to me.

My rifle has been laying in the case on top of my shelf in room since October 2019. See link below.

https://prnt.sc/1n1lyea

Question:

What does "get the oil out of the barrel" mean? Sorry, I am leaning as I go.

Thank you,

Run a few dry patches until the patch is clean is ideal but A couple shots will dry it out
Oil in your barrel will cause Point of Impact Changes. Very few non-over bore calibers get shot enough to really foul out for point of Impact changes.

Go have fun at the range. Don't over think it

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: scottfromdallas] #8349237 08/12/21 03:59 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by hermano W
Goodo, Most of us never oil the inside of the barrel where the bullet travels. What ever you use to clean that inside part of your barrel with should be followed with dry cotton patches until they come out clean.

Yes, thank you hermano W.

Yes correct, I recall I cleaned it out with white towel or napkin until there was no more black when I first cleaned it.

yes, I cleaned the rifle per the owner manual and followed a gun on youtube who has the same rifle as me. It was farily easy.

This time I may drop the rifle off at Carter's Country and let them clean it for $80 and be done with it.

Paying $80 to clean a rifle is nuts. It can be as easy as spaying foam bore cleaner like Gunslick down the barrel, letting it sit an hour and then pulling patches through the bore until they come out clean.

Hello scottfromdallas,

lol, thank you sir. You are right, I need to stop being lazy and learn to take care of my rifle I use to enjoy my time with and clean my own rifle and get ready for hunting season.

You are correct sir.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8349251 08/12/21 04:08 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You seem to be admitting inexperience, so I dont see a problem paying to get the gun cleaned if you are uncomfortable. However, I highly suggest you do it with the intention of learning how to do it yourself. See if they will teach you or get someone to teach you or use utube to learn. I clean my bore more often than some are saying(for accuracy) so I would hate to have to pay someone to do it that often. It really isnt difficult to do but you need to research/learn first. Good luck.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8349257 08/12/21 04:11 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by hermano W
Goodo, Most of us never oil the inside of the barrel where the bullet travels. What ever you use to clean that inside part of your barrel with should be followed with dry cotton patches until they come out clean.

Yes, thank you hermano W.

Yes correct, I recall I cleaned it out with white towel or napkin until there was no more black when I first cleaned it.

yes, I cleaned the rifle per the owner manual and followed a gun on youtube who has the same rifle as me. It was farily easy.

This time I may drop the rifle off at Carter's Country and let them clean it for $80 and be done with it.

Paying $80 to clean a rifle is nuts. It can be as easy as spaying foam bore cleaner like Gunslick down the barrel, letting it sit an hour and then pulling patches through the bore until they come out clean.

Hello scottfromdallas,

lol, thank you sir. You are right, I need to stop being lazy and learn to take care of my rifle I use to enjoy my time with and clean my own rifle and get ready for hunting season.

You are correct sir.

Exactly. If I were in Houston, I'd tell you to bring me a 6 pack of beer and I'd teach you to clean your rifle. It is very easy.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: wp75169] #8350021 08/13/21 03:55 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by wp75169
I would not pay someone to clean my rifle. From my perspective that paying someone to avoid learning proper care for your firearm, therefore you will always be dependent on someone else, and have to trust their judgement.

It’s true that you will get varying opinions on here, you will have to filter that as you see fit and maybe go through some of your own trial and error methods. One day someone will look to you for wisdom, maybe your son, and you don’t want the answer to be talk to someone else who knows, I never took the time.

You can apply this to life in general.

Thank you wp75169,

I will clean the rifle myself sir. Thank you for the advice.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8350022 08/13/21 04:01 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Thank you all very very much for helping me.

Today I called Savage technical support and asked them should I clean the rifle. They said definitely yes, and to follow the manual for cleaning instructions. They representive also said to prevent fouling to clean the barrel after about 10-20 shots to prevent fouling and to check the zero after each cleaning to make sure my zero is still good. He stated that fouling could could eventually cause inaccurate shooting.

So next Friday, I will follow those instructions in manual to clean the barrel and oil the outside, and then go zero the rifle and then clean it again before going out the next weekend for practice.

My plan is to practice shooting about 10 rounds per weekend at about 100 yards. I was surprised he said to clean the barrel every 10 rounds to prevent fouling but it is there rifle so I guess they are right.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8350023 08/13/21 04:03 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
I clean my savage every 150ish rounds. You do you though. Many clues were dropped but you just missed them it would appear.

[Linked Image]
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8350044 08/13/21 06:28 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There was a time when I’d clean the bore every 12 rounds. Then fire 2, let it cool and fire two 5 shot groups. Then repeat. I don’t do that any more. I clean it when my accuracy tells me to clean it. For your purposes, you can clean the bore as often as you like or, like my Dad, never clean it. For a weekend paper puncher and deer hunter, it just isn’t that darned important. Clean it every 50 rounds. I have a couple of rifles that need cleaning after about that many rounds. I don’t have any that need cleaning more than that.

Use the cleaning gear that has been suggested. 50 rounds. Good starting point.

You could drive to my place, use my range, then use my cleaning gear. I’ll show ya how to do it. I’m 140 miles north of you, up I-45.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: 603Country] #8351205 08/14/21 03:41 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by 603Country
There was a time when I’d clean the bore every 12 rounds. Then fire 2, let it cool and fire two 5 shot groups. Then repeat. I don’t do that any more. I clean it when my accuracy tells me to clean it. For your purposes, you can clean the bore as often as you like or, like my Dad, never clean it. For a weekend paper puncher and deer hunter, it just isn’t that darned important. Clean it every 50 rounds. I have a couple of rifles that need cleaning after about that many rounds. I don’t have any that need cleaning more than that.

Use the cleaning gear that has been suggested. 50 rounds. Good starting point.

You could drive to my place, use my range, then use my cleaning gear. I’ll show ya how to do it. I’m 140 miles north of you, up I-45.

Hello 603Country,

Thank you very much sir. Perhaps, I will take you up on your offer sir and come and visit you for a one day trip.

Cleaning after 50 rounds does sound agreeable and reasonable.

How do you know when your rifle needs cleaning?

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Bee'z] #8351207 08/14/21 03:41 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by 2Beez
I clean my savage every 150ish rounds. You do you though. Many clues were dropped but you just missed them it would appear.

Hello 2Beez, what model savage do you have?

Also when do you clean your rifle after 150 rounds?

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 08/14/21 03:43 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide