When to clean Rifle #8348381 08/11/21 09:03 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Hello Everyone.

I am getting ready for deer hunting season again, and have not fired my rifle since October 2019.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...phy-hunter-xp-bolt-action-rifle/p/p32164

I bought the rifle in July 2019 and fired about 50 rounds of ammo through it.

Question please:[u][/u]

1. Should I clean the rifle per the gun manufacture instructions manual again? I cleaned and oiled it when I first bought it in July 2019

Thank you so much.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348411 08/11/21 09:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
No, go to range and get the oil out of the barrel and check your zero after a few rounds. In fact practice a little.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348435 08/11/21 09:44 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Really depends on how it was stored. 2+ years I’d do a quick cleaning just to be on the safe side.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348453 08/11/21 09:55 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Maybe clean the bolt if you desire. But not the barrel after only 50 rounds. Buy 3 boxes of ammo and go shoot 2 boxes for practice. Save the last box for hunting. Better yet, buy 5 boxes and shoot 4 for practice...

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8348460 08/11/21 10:00 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
No, go to range and get the oil out of the barrel and check your zero after a few rounds. In fact practice a little.

Hello BOBO the Clown,

Thank you so much for responding to me.

My rifle has been laying in the case on top of my shelf in room since October 2019. See link below.

https://prnt.sc/1n1lyea

Question:

What does "get the oil out of the barrel" mean? Sorry, I am leaning as I go.

Thank you,

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: P_102] #8348462 08/11/21 10:01 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by P_102
Really depends on how it was stored. 2+ years I’d do a quick cleaning just to be on the safe side.

Hello P_102,

It was stored like this the past 2 years. https://prnt.sc/1n1lyea in my closet on the shelf in the house.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348514 08/11/21 11:00 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy

Hello BOBO the Clown,

My rifle has been laying in the case on top of my shelf in room since October 2019. See link below.

Question:

[/co
Thank you,

Shoot it out.

Last edited by Bar-D; 08/11/21 11:01 PM.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Bar-D] #8348552 08/11/21 11:35 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Bar-D

Hello BOBO the Clown,

Question:

[/co
Thank you,

Shoot it out.

Ok , I will take it out to the range and no cleaning. Just practice shooting. Thank you so much.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348580 08/12/21 12:12 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No true.

Clean the oil out of the barrel first. Then foul it back in.

Oil in the barrel is probably one of the worst things that can line a barrel for anything other than storage. It is detrimental to how a barrel can shoot. You won't shoot it out. You have to clean it out.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: J.G.] #8348630 08/12/21 12:45 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
No true.

Clean the oil out of the barrel first. Then foul it back in.

Oil in the barrel is probably one of the worst things that can line a barrel for anything other than storage. It is detrimental to how a barrel can shoot. You won't shoot it out. You have to clean it out.

Hello FiremanGJ,

Thank you for the response.

Questions:

1. What do you mean by "No true", do you mean not true?

2. When do you mean by "Clean the oil out of the barrel first. Then foul it back in." ?

3. Are you suggesting I clean the rifle per my rifle manual like the first time I bought it?

Thanks

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 08/12/21 12:46 AM.
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348678 08/12/21 01:25 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not true.

Go read the recent barrel cleaning thread in this section. There's tons of opinions on how to do it, and I shared mine. I get all manner of rifles, owned by other people come through on a weekly basis. I've got a couple of ways that have shown me to work. They work because after cleaning, it doesn't take but 6 to 9 shots to foul in, and begin to look like they will shoot tight.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: J.G.] #8348688 08/12/21 01:31 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Not true.

Go read the recent barrel cleaning thread in this section. There's tons of opinions on how to do it, and I shared mine. I get all manner of rifles, owned by other people come through on a weekly basis. I've got a couple of ways that have shown me to work. They work because after cleaning, it doesn't take but 6 to 9 shots to foul in, and begin to look like they will shoot tight.

I took it as he fired 50 shots through it and put it up, meaning there is currently no oil in the barrel. Gordo, can you be more specific? Did you fire 50 shots, clean it and put it up? Or did you fire 50 shots and put it up without cleaning?

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: unclebubba] #8348711 08/12/21 01:47 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Not true.

I took it as he fired 50 shots through it and put it up, meaning there is currently no oil in the barrel. Gordo, can you be more specific? Did you fire 50 shots, clean it and put it up? Or did you fire 50 shots and put it up without cleaning?

Doesn't matter. It has sat long enough either fouled (with who knows what powder and bullet) or it has sat with oil in it. In either case, clean it, foul it, then you are working with "knowns".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: unclebubba] #8348725 08/12/21 01:57 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Not true.

Hello unclebubba,

I bought the rifle in July 2019
Clean and oil it in July 2019 per the rifle manual instructions.
Practice with it at the gun range and shot about 50 rounds.
Went a shot a deer and hog with 2 rounds in October 2019.
Put the gun on the shelf in my room closet like this https://prnt.sc/1n1lyea in October 2019.
I have not touch the rifle since October 2019 and have not cleaned it or oil it before putting in shelf in closet.
August 2021, I am ready to start preparing for hunting season again. Should I clean and oil the gun again.

Please let me know if I clarified it.

Thanks

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: J.G.] #8348728 08/12/21 02:05 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Not true.

Doesn't matter. It has sat long enough either fouled (with who knows what powder and bullet) or it has sat with oil in it. In either case, clean it, foul it, then you are working with "knowns".

Interesting. So if I have a rifle that I have fired 100 rounds through, then let it sit for a year, would you suggest I clean it before shooting again even though I'm shooting the same ammo with the same powder as the first 50 shots? What changes with the fouling when it sits for a year?

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348736 08/12/21 02:19 AM
H
hermano W Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Goodo, Most of us never oil the inside of the barrel where the bullet travels. What ever you use to clean that inside part of your barrel with should be followed with dry cotton patches until they come out clean.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: unclebubba] #8348739 08/12/21 02:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not true.

Interesting. So if I have a rifle that I have fired 100 rounds through, then let it sit for a year, would you suggest I clean it before shooting again even though I'm shooting the same ammo with the same powder as the first 50 shots? What changes with the fouling when it sits for a year?

Not the case here.

Do you KNOW that factory ammo was loaded with the same powder, and powder charge as 87 lot numbers ago? He is not a hand loader, so things are different. You shoot your same exact hand loads versus someone shooting factory ammo is not the same set of recommendations.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: hermano W] #8348740 08/12/21 02:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by hermano W
Goodo, Most of us never oil the inside of the barrel where the bullet travels. What ever you use to clean that inside part of your barrel with should be followed with dry cotton patches until they come out clean.

True words.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: hermano W] #8348766 08/12/21 02:57 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G

Yes, thank you hermano W.

Yes correct, I recall I cleaned it out with white towel or napkin until there was no more black when I first cleaned it.

yes, I cleaned the rifle per the owner manual and followed a gun on youtube who has the same rifle as me. It was farily easy.

This time I may drop the rifle off at Carter's Country and let them clean it for $80 and be done with it.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348779 08/12/21 03:07 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
[quote=unclebubba][quote=FiremanJG]

Do you KNOW that factory ammo was loaded with the same powder, and powder charge as 87 lot numbers ago? He is not a hand loader, so things are different. You shoot your same exact hand loads versus someone shooting factory ammo is not the same set of recommendations.

Yes, I use ammo from the store. I do not make my own ammo.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: J.G.] #8348817 08/12/21 03:44 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Not the case here.

Thanks for clarifying

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348873 08/12/21 10:39 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I would not pay someone to clean my rifle. From my perspective that paying someone to avoid learning proper care for your firearm, therefore you will always be dependent on someone else, and have to trust their judgement.

It’s true that you will get varying opinions on here, you will have to filter that as you see fit and maybe go through some of your own trial and error methods. One day someone will look to you for wisdom, maybe your son, and you don’t want the answer to be talk to someone else who knows, I never took the time.

You can apply this to life in general.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348876 08/12/21 10:42 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Only oil a barrel for long term storage and never shoot an oiled barrel. You will waste 30-40 rounds of ammo before it starts shooting right again.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8348921 08/12/21 12:03 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Yes correct, I recall I cleaned it out with white towel or napkin until there was no more black when I first cleaned it.

yes, I cleaned the rifle per the owner manual and followed a gun on youtube who has the same rifle as me. It was farily easy.

This time I may drop the rifle off at Carter's Country and let them clean it for $80 and be done with it.

Paying $80 to clean a rifle is nuts. It can be as easy as spaying foam bore cleaner like Gunslick down the barrel, letting it sit an hour and then pulling patches through the bore until they come out clean.

Re: When to clean Rifle [Re: scottfromdallas] #8348951 08/12/21 12:29 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Paying $80 to clean a rifle is nuts. It can be as easy as spaying foam bore cleaner like Gunslick down the barrel, letting it sit an hour and then pulling patches through the bore until they come out clean.

Hopefully it's not too insulting to you Goodo, but I've seen a bunch of dudes in Houston who do these sorts of things. From $80 cleanings to $50-80 bore sighting and paying for all sorts of gun services that seem like one can don themselves. There is a prevailing "weekend warrior" culture that seems to like owning and talking about guns than shooting and getting familiar with them.

Goodo, I'd take that $80 and get a bore guide, a one piece rod (as in the ones that do NOT required assembly from 3 pieces), the appropriate cleaning jag and the solvent mentioned before gunslick.

Foaming products like these are fairly simple to use. Just spray some from the back/breach end of the barrel (trying not to get any inside the receiver), letting it sit in there however long it says and then running pathces until youget one that comes out clean.
https://opticsandammo.com/product/gunslick-foaming-bore-cleaner-12oz-mfg-92098/

bore guides are important and totally worth the initial, small investment. It ensures that then you shove the cleaning rod into the barrel, that it is centralized.
https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Universal-Bore-Guide/dp/B07NKP3ZFY

Oh, and get proper cleaning patches or use cloth. don't want to start leaving little paper particles in your rifle.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide