Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Daihatsu Mini Truck questions #8318050 07/11/21 06:21 PM
StarvoResources Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
I'm checking out a Daihatsu mini truck later this week. I don't know much about them other than my mechanic uncle says Daihatsu is good to go and shouldn't be difficult to work on if necessary and parts are generally available online. However, he hasn't personally worked on them, just telling me these things based off asking some of his friends who do more work for commercial vehicles.

Is there anything, in particular, I need to be aware of when inspecting it vs a truck or a UTV? Anyone use one for a lease/ranch vehicle?

Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: StarvoResources] #8318063 07/11/21 06:37 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My cousin used mini-trucks for years, though I don’t know if he still does. There was serious Louisiana gumbo mud there, so he had a jacked up 4wd double cab model. I rode with him a few times, and that thing would go about anywhere. More than that, I don’t know.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: StarvoResources] #8318088 07/11/21 07:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Is it a manual or automatic transmission? 4wd? Where is the radiator located on it? Air filter location? What type of terrain your drive in? If it is steep and hilly, then try to check the power it has going up an incline...steeper the better. Lot of those automatic mini-trucks do not have much power to climb hills. 4wd helps but still some lack the power to climb a hill very well. 12 yrs ago parts were hard to find. Air filters were critical on those mini trucks, so make sure it the correct one and fits. We had issues with mini trucks when the filter was not the correct one and the air filter cover did not close properly. Got dust past the filter. Those trucks were not designed for off road, dusty type conditions.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: stxranchman] #8318138 07/11/21 08:10 PM
StarvoResources Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
It’s automatic 4x4. Lifted with big tires.

Not crazy inclines at our lease, mainly using it on the roads, mix of dirt, rocks and caliche.

Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: StarvoResources] #8343207 08/06/21 04:01 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I had one but it was a standard 4x4 it would climb hills with ease. The only issue I had with it was the carburetor, I was forever having to adjust it depending on weather. Hot or cold. I did put a clutch in it and that wasn’t a bad job at all. Parts are a little pricey but it’s on par with a ranger or whatever as far as parts prices go.

🍻
Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: StarvoResources] #8343278 08/06/21 05:01 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My understanding the newer versions make considerably more power

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: StarvoResources] #8403390 10/01/21 04:13 PM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
i had one and it would go anywhere, mine was 4wd with a 5speed and hi lo range

never had any issues for years till the mice ate some of the wiring and then it was a pain in the .........

best thing i did was put a 2" spacer for a small lift on rear and a 3" in the front with heavier front coil springs. they are designed for small oriental folks and 2 grown american men would bottom that front end out on any small bump causing you to spill your beer

if you buy one i still have my high rack seat i built for mine and its cheap

Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: stxranchman] #8443564 11/09/21 03:52 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Is it a manual or automatic transmission? 4wd? Where is the radiator located on it? Air filter location? What type of terrain your drive in? If it is steep and hilly, then try to check the power it has going up an incline...steeper the better. Lot of those automatic mini-trucks do not have much power to climb hills. 4wd helps but still some lack the power to climb a hill very well. 12 yrs ago parts were hard to find. Air filters were critical on those mini trucks, so make sure it the correct one and fits. We had issues with mini trucks when the filter was not the correct one and the air filter cover did not close properly. Got dust past the filter. Those trucks were not designed for off road, dusty type conditions.

I climbed in the blind one morning well before daylight on a hill we call the mountain, can see for miles in a couple directions. I watched my BIL leave camp in his mini truck, it had rained a little the night before so the roads were a wet but not bad. I watched him head south going down several inclines until he got to a dip in the road probably 20 yards wide and dropped down 8 foot or so in the middle. He got stuck in the middle of the dip and had to eventually turn and head up the draw a slighter incline than trying to go straight across the dip till he could get out. He then turned around and headed back to camp, got the the first small hill about 400 yards from camp and I watched him attempt to climb it 6 or 7 times..finally the the lights went out on the truck and as day broke I saw him walking back to camp. Not sure about all of them but I've heard many complain of the lack of power witnessing it first hand was enough for me to loose interest in them.

Last edited by Txhunter65; 11/09/21 03:53 PM.
Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: StarvoResources] #8443648 11/09/21 05:20 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I did some very minimal looking a while back as i might consider buying one some time, watched a few youtube videos from folks that have some experience with them. Suzuki makes one that is around 100 HP now, I cant imagine that being inadequate for a dear lease buggy.

One of my buddies had one years ago that was used and abused wouldn't idle on its own etc. we used it around his place moving trailers etc. It wasn't a power house, but was more than enough to drive around. Folks that cant get them up hills are probably having more issues driving a manual and keeping it running than it lacking the power. Also the ground clearance and tires are nothign to write home about for off road/mud use unless they are set up for it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Daihatsu Mini Truck questions [Re: StarvoResources] #8443667 11/09/21 05:37 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Ranch Manager at place I used to hunt drove one and he loved it. I never saw him having problems on the hills or roads, and he would routinely have the bed loaded with feed, corn, tools, etc. He liked that he could also drive it to town as it was street legal. He mentioned he could not go much over 55 mph, but that was fine for him.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide