Print Thread
Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? #8342191 08/05/21 05:52 PM
C
ctonsmitty Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Generally speaking what size in gallons sprayer with boom or boomless does one need to cover a 2 acre field with glyphosate to kill weeds?
OR
How many acres would a 50 gallon sprayer cover?

Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: ctonsmitty] #8342197 08/05/21 05:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
It all depends on the pressure, nozzle size, your speed and then the mix in the tank. I used a 15 gallon sprayer with 1pt to 1qt of glyphosate to 15 gallons of water to cover just over an acre to 1.5 acres. I had a boomless nozzle to spray weeds/grass in foodplots. The mix rate depended on how thick and how tall the vegetation was I needed to kill.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: ctonsmitty] #8342206 08/05/21 06:02 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Others will most likely know more than I, but it takes me 55 gallons to cover 2 acres with my set up.

I've never had a sprayer that was worth the money. So finally this is what I did.

I am totally inept when it comes to tools and making stuff, so If I can put this together, so can you. It is very simple to make. I went through two sprayers that I bought, one at tractor supply and one at Atwoods in 3 years. They just don't hold up. I paid $299 for each one. Hose's rotted, tank got a hole in it from bouncing over the ground full of water, tires went flat from weight of water. Just did not hold up.
So, here is what I came up with and it cost me about $125 and I have used it for the last 3 years. Now that cost is not completely accurate
as I already had one of the main parts.
A battery jump starter to run the 12v pump. Of course any 12v battery would work also.

Now here is what I had to buy.
1. 55 gallon plastic barrel...$15
2. two 6' hoses...$12
3. two 4' sections of pvc, two joint sections of pvc, two water sprinkler heads,(not the whole head, just the dial part), and a T section of pvc that had a hose connection. $15
4. A water pump..$80..

I ran one hose to the barrel from the pump, and one hose from the pump to my pvc sprayer. I hope the photos can give you a better ideal of what I am talking about.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: ctonsmitty] #8342340 08/05/21 08:48 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by ctonsmitty
Generally speaking what size in gallons sprayer with boom or boomless does one need to cover a 2 acre field with glyphosate to kill weeds?
OR

Technically a sprayer should be calibrated before you use it - speed, swath, pressure, nozzle size - all play into it. It's not hard to calibrate one but you need two people (one person to drive whatever you're spraying with, one person to hold a measuring jug over a nozzle - obviously use water to calibrate), a measuring jug, and a 100' tape laid out. It's just a basic math formula...it's a PITA, but generally a one time deal unless you're spraying legit stuff that really matters or is very specific on the application rate. I know with my 300 gallon sprayer if I drive at x speed at x pressure I'm going to put out 25 gallons per acre.

Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: ctonsmitty] #8342345 08/05/21 08:56 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
OR

If you are spraying for broadleaf weeds with something like 2-4D, pasture pro, etc., then I use a pint per acre with 12-15 gallons of water per acre.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: Cochise] #8342886 08/06/21 11:34 AM
Pootie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Cochise
OR

Technically a sprayer should be calibrated before you use it - speed, swath, pressure, nozzle size - all play into it. It's not hard to calibrate one but you need two people (one person to drive whatever you're spraying with, one person to hold a measuring jug over a nozzle - obviously use water to calibrate), a measuring jug, and a 100' tape laid out. It's just a basic math formula...it's a PITA, but generally a one time deal unless you're spraying legit stuff that really matters or is very specific on the application rate. I know with my 300 gallon sprayer if I drive at x speed at x pressure I'm going to put out 25 gallons per acre.

If you time how long it takes to travel the distance you are using to calibrate, you can easily calibrate by yourself while sitting still.

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: ctonsmitty] #8343998 08/07/21 01:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Because the concentration of glyphosate can differ greatly from one product to the next, I always check the label for the recommended mix rate. The last time I checked, one of Tractor Supply's store brand offerings was the best deal in terms of price for the highest concentration per volume.

Don't forget to add a little dish soap so that it sticks better to whatever you hit with it. I suspect the more expensive stuff already has a surfactant added to it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/07/21 01:13 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: ctonsmitty] #8347599 08/11/21 01:00 AM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
My Boomerator Noozle came with a instruction sheet that is pretty close. Match your nozzle to Ground speed, pressure pump is set on and how much material per acre. Sprayed them dang army worms again today.

Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: cos] #8347846 08/11/21 11:52 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by cos
My Boomerator Noozle came with a instruction sheet that is pretty close. Match your nozzle to Ground speed, pressure pump is set on and how much material per acre. Sprayed them dang army worms again today.

Been horrible this year.
I've had them move in twice already and the first time I had to spray 2 days in a row there was so many. They were tiny but in my grass by the millions.

Usually we do not see them at our place until late September or even October. I believe the abundance of rain and cooler than normal temps had them out early. They can devastate a field of coastal in 12 hours.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Gallon Size Tank Boom/Boomless Sprayer per Acre? [Re: cos] #8348024 08/11/21 02:45 PM
Pootie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Nozzles size also open up with usage, so It won't have the same output or droplet size forever.
Originally Posted by cos

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide