Print Thread
Someone please explain this to me #8339499 08/02/21 11:49 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I’ve experienced this anomaly twice in my life.

I had a 1988 Ford F-150 with a 5.0 V-8. Thing was a real pos. Had itty bitty street slicks on it, it would get stuck in wet grass, BUT for a 2wd truck it would go thru extreme amounts of mud and not even slip a tire. Open diff too no posi-trac here. Sold it and got a 96 f-150. Identical truck except this one had the 4.9 inline six. Got stuck in grass, mud you name it. Put more aggressive tires on it and it still got stuck. Go figure. Also had an extended cab long bed F-150 that would get stuck if you pointed it in the direction of mud.

Couple of years ago I bought the new superduty in a F250 FX4 platform. Loved the truck and it was a 180 degre difference from my old 02’ 7.3. Did well off-road as well unlike it’s predecessor, but I did notice it had to be put in 4wd to negotiate scenarios most half tons could do in 2wd. I had the original street tires, two sets of 35’s A/T tires 2 sets of 37” M/T tires. Performance was definitely enhanced with the larger mud terrains but it would still slip in loose dirt and rock, especially on inclines.

Few months ago I bought the same truck in the current year model. Had 35” wrangler A/T’s, kinda a mediocre skinny all terrain. Driving the same exact routes as my previous truck, this one is 10x’s better in 2wd than before. On roads I would have to put it in 4 wd to go up this one does in 2wd without even spinning a tire.

Truck has the same equipment, leveling kit, etc...and smaller and chittier tires.

Someone plesss explain this to me?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8339524 08/03/21 12:17 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Weight and weight distribution I would think.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8339532 08/03/21 12:27 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Traction control programming

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8339571 08/03/21 12:54 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
The difference your experiencing is how the power is put to the ground. Your previous Superduty had a 6 speed transmission and different torque converter. How much and when that power reaches the rear wheels has a lot to do with traction.

My Ram is making close to 1,200 pounds of torque by 1400rpms. That’s just a few hundred RPM’s above idle, so while it will pull a train, it will also spin the tires very easily on subpar terrain. Add to the fact that 60+% of the weight is on the front axle, it just makes for a terrible off road vehicle.

Add in new shocks and that also helps.

Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: BigPig] #8339631 08/03/21 02:16 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
The difference your experiencing is how the power is put to the ground. Your previous Superduty had a 6 speed transmission and different torque converter. How much and when that power reaches the rear wheels has a lot to do with traction.

My Ram is making close to 1,200 pounds of torque by 1400rpms. That’s just a few hundred RPM’s above idle, so while it will pull a train, it will also spin the tires very easily on subpar terrain. Add to the fact that 60+% of the weight is on the front axle, it just makes for a terrible off road vehicle.

These trucks are almost identical.

They do have different shocks and the tremor def. has a softer suspension (weird since this one has a 1 ton rear end with a 5 leaf kit) but this one has 100 more lbs of torque over my last one. But...does have the 10 speed

The last one would spin the tires at the slightest touch of the pedal...this one gets much better traction. Bit aside from the minor differences mentioned above they are pretty much identical trucks.

The F-150’s were also extremely close in comparison and it was a very noticeable difference. I putted thru mud holes in that truck that would stick any other 2wd truck with hardly as much as a wheel spin

Oddest thing I’ve ever seen was the ranch foreman next to us, he had a little extended cab Nissan truck. He would go thru mud with zero issue that I would get stuck in my 7.3 locked in 4 lo

Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8339868 08/03/21 01:39 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Does the new truck have an electronic locker on the rear end? I was on a deer lease out by Brownwood that was sugar sand over the whole place. The two guys I hunted with both had Ford 4x4 diesels. They couldn't go anywhere without getting stuck. My 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy with the locker on the rear end would drive everywhere out there without getting stuck. I think that's why the left.

Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8339985 08/03/21 02:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

They do have different shocks and the tremor def. has a softer suspension (weird since this one has a 1 ton rear end with a 5 leaf kit) but this one has 100 more lbs of torque over my last one. But...does have the 10 speed

The last one would spin the tires at the slightest touch of the pedal...this one gets much better traction. Bit aside from the minor differences mentioned above they are pretty much identical trucks.

The F-150’s were also extremely close in comparison and it was a very noticeable difference. I putted thru mud holes in that truck that would stick any other 2wd truck with hardly as much as a wheel spin

Oddest thing I’ve ever seen was the ranch foreman next to us, he had a little extended cab Nissan truck. He would go thru mud with zero issue that I would get stuck in my 7.3 locked in 4 lo

What is the weight of the vehicles you have owned. Add ons? Length truck? I am going to guess you added weight to front with a new bumper on a diesel truck. The newer model trucks are much lighter than the older model trucks. My new gas F-250 will not climb the same hills in 2WD that my old GMC diesel would climb in two wheel drive. The F-250 short bed 4 door is longer and I added a front replacement bumper and tool box in the bed. My GMC had a replacement front bumper and a much heavier tool box in a short bed extended cab. That tool box added a lot of weight to the bed of the truck. Add 10-15 bags of corn to the bed of your truck and attempt the same grades in two wheel drive. IME Whenever I have had issue with traction any truck is due to having added or having to much weight on the front end of the truck.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: ChrisB] #8340323 08/03/21 07:59 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Does the new truck have an electronic locker on the rear end? I was on a deer lease out by Brownwood that was sugar sand over the whole place. The two guys I hunted with both had Ford 4x4 diesels. They couldn't go anywhere without getting stuck. My 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy with the locker on the rear end would drive everywhere out there without getting stuck. I think that's why the left.

yes both trucks have lockers

Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8340335 08/03/21 08:08 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Don't feel bad about that Nissan. I used to own one. 84 model if I remember right. Wish I still had it. That truck would go through ANYTHING. Looked about like this one.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gumbeaux; 08/03/21 08:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8343274 08/06/21 04:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Has ford changed their locker?

I believe it used to be an electronic locker with an on/off switch, it was either locked or it wasnt. Have they put an auto feature in it? If they havent they should.

I would guess like bobo said changes to traction control programming and maybe.

Also I know some of the later model diesels have been "governed" to how much power they will make in certain gears, may or may not have anything to do with it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8361151 08/23/21 10:36 PM
TXBoss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Weight Distribution. It's a snow plow in RWD mode only. Overall weight is also a factor.

Short wheel base in the 1/2 tons will also be a benefit over the Super Duty trucks.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment..." - W. Rogers
Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8361347 08/24/21 01:29 AM
R
Rounder Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
R
Skinnier tires and different weight distribution.

Re: Someone please explain this to me [Re: txtrophy85] #8361930 08/24/21 05:24 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
That Nissan is probably half the weight of your truck which gives it a huge advantage. I used to race Jeeps in what is now called "Jeep Speed" events. People couldn't understand how I could outrun them in a stock Jeep with a 6 cyl and manual 4 speed. It's because I stripped off every ounce I could instead of adding 1000 pounds of crap on it.
1. It's all about PSI (and no I am not just talking about tire pressure). All of the weight of your vehicle is resting on four small patches - the bottom of your tires. This is your PSI footprint. Lower your PSI by decreasing weight and/or increasing the surface contact area. This makes more difference than tread design. Distribute your weight as much as possible over your driving wheels.

2. Power to the wheels. You can only deliver as much power as the surface will allow. Too much and/or too fast and you lose traction. Proper gear ratio and proper application of the skinny pedal is key.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide