Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,591
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage #8339090 08/02/21 05:52 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
I had always wondered about the 3 shot limit when and how it came about.
Or market gun restrictions and ban?
Anybody remember when you had to wait till 12:00 PM before you could shot dove, and when it was opened back up at legal DL?

With dove and the early teal season quickly approaching, and other bird seasons not far behind, hunters are starting to run down their punch list of things they will need. They are the usual things like camo, game bags, ammunition, calls and decoys, patched waders and, of course, their favorite shotgun.

The one thing that is usually not on the list but is just as important from a legal standpoint is a magazine plug for their shotgun that limits shell capacity to no more than three rounds.

Since few hunters ever take them out anymore, plugs are usually an afterthought until you are standing in a field or edge of a lake and the game warden pulls out a short hose to check magazine capacity.
more
https://tylerpaper.com/opinion/thre...ee9aa46-f1b2-11eb-b3e9-03b2e77e1d5a.html

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8339108 08/02/21 06:04 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
How many of you have sat at the edge of a field whittling a shotgun plug out of a mesquite branch because you realized after you got to the field that you didn't have a plug? I have.

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8339117 08/02/21 06:10 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
BTDT a couple of times.
Used to love the overlap of dove and quail season but you had to make sure of plug.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: unclebubba] #8339144 08/02/21 06:22 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by unclebubba
How many of you have sat at the edge of a field whittling a shotgun plug out of a mesquite branch because you realized after you got to the field that you didn't have a plug? I have.

Me, I just don't take it out anymore cause I can't remember squat.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8339167 08/02/21 06:37 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Funny story:

One of the few times I have been checked when waterfowl hunting was in CO at Prewitt Res. I was with my father and brother both of whom were shooting Browning A-5s and I was shooting a side by side double. Game warden came and checked licenses and stamps as well as birds and then said he wanted to look at guns. No problem, so Dad hands over his Browning and they checked to be sure it only held 3. Brother did the same thing. No problems. The the warden asked for my gun and I handed him a double, broken open and the warden actually said I had to show him it wouldn't take more than 3 shells. I asked him how many barrels he saw and he said 2. I asked just where he thought the 3rd shell was going to be? Warden just walked away.

Lost a lot of faith in game wardens that day.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8339179 08/02/21 06:42 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I hunt whitetails in several of our WMA's that have short-range weapons restrictions (archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun only). They love to live in the thick marshes and cattails, and are tough to hunt. I use my 12 ga with a rifled slug barrel, the plug removed, and 5 slugs in it. Several times I have had over-zealous GW's try to tell me my gun is illegal, because it is not plugged, and there are waterfowl in the area. I just tell them to read their own regs, and learn the definition of TAKE. We have had some heated discussions over it too!! Haven't had to fight a ticket yet. smile

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: Blank] #8340462 08/03/21 10:27 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Blank
I hunt whitetails in several of our WMA's that have short-range weapons restrictions (archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun only). They love to live in the thick marshes and cattails, and are tough to hunt. I use my 12 ga with a rifled slug barrel, the plug removed, and 5 slugs in it. Several times I have had over-zealous GW's try to tell me my gun is illegal, because it is not plugged, and there are waterfowl in the area. I just tell them to read their own regs, and learn the definition of TAKE. We have had some heated discussions over it too!! Haven't had to fight a ticket yet. smile

These last two posts are eye openers as to the lack of training the new GW's up there are getting. I wonder how many of these GW's have never hunted a day in their life. Either this is the case or they are heck of a good shot to hunt waterfowl with a 12 ga. slug or to be able to put 3 shells in a double barrel shotgun. confused2

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8340474 08/03/21 10:40 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
When watching Lonestar Law I pay attention to their hands.

It is amazing how many of the younger game wardens are all wearing Texas A&M rings.

That answer your wondering?

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8346648 08/10/21 06:53 AM
T
Timn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
It's stupid to have use a plug aren't there limits that should take care of it. I mean duck hunt and only have 3 shells in your gun when you can kill 6 or 7 ducks makes no since.

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: Timn] #8346771 08/10/21 01:13 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Timn
It's stupid to have use a plug aren't there limits that should take care of it. I mean duck hunt and only have 3 shells in your gun when you can kill 6 or 7 ducks makes no since.

It’s without a doubt the most ridiculous law on the books, but bread and butter for the GW’s.

Last edited by therancher; 08/10/21 01:13 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8346778 08/10/21 01:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Once you've seen the punt guns that were once used for commercial duck harvesting, you'll realize why the three-shot limit would eventually be introduced. They were usually not shouldered like the one shown in the photo below but mounted near the front of small boats. "A single shot could kill over 50 waterfowl resting on the water's surface."

Punt Gun

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/10/21 01:27 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: Texas Dan] #8346826 08/10/21 01:54 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Once you've seen the punt guns that were once used for commercial duck harvesting, you'll realize why the three-shot limit would eventually be introduced. They were usually not shouldered like the one shown in the photo below but mounted near the front of small boats. "A single shot could kill over 50 waterfowl resting on the water's surface."

Punt Gun

[Linked Image]

What good would a three shot do for a single shot punt gun? Most punt guns were used at night when ducks were roosting rafted up on the water.
The three shot law is a joke for sure.

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8346951 08/10/21 03:16 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Grandads 1923-24 Hunting License.

Possible reason behind the duck shortage. Daily bag limits on ducks was 25.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Make America Great Again

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8346967 08/10/21 03:25 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
That neat seeing that old license. up

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: Texas Dan] #8347015 08/10/21 04:03 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Punt Gun

[Linked Image]

Hummm you might want to research how punt guns where used. Try visiting the Havre De grace Decoy museum.

It’s doesn’t apply to pass shooting

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: therancher] #8347017 08/10/21 04:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by therancher

It’s without a doubt the most ridiculous law on the books, but bread and butter for the GW’s.

No signed license and or duck stamp is bread and butter. Wait until you see a kid get a ticket last day of season for unsigned stamp. One of the few time I greatly disagree with the GW Judgement

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8347749 08/11/21 04:07 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I never saw it as a big deal. How many ducks or doves would actually be killed (vs. missed or wounded) on a 4th or 5th shot?
Not many…..

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8347976 08/11/21 01:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I also suspect bag limits and shotgun plugs were created to help create a wall between commercial and pleasure hunting. It was the commercial side of both hunting and fishing that has always created the greatest impact on resource numbers.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/11/21 01:48 PM.

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: jeh7mmmag] #8348576 08/12/21 12:09 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
When I was in high school, my dad and I parked and walked into some flooded timber near the local lake for the opening day of duck season. We had a pretty good hunt. About mid morning, we saw the local lake patrol wannabe cop walking around on the shore nearby, but didn't think much of it. He didn't see us camoed up in the trees. He was waiting for us as we walked back to the truck and the game Warden pulled up at about the same time we did. Lake patrol started going off about us hunting deer illegally. We calmly explained to him that we were duck hunting, which was perfectly legal. He turned to the game warden and told him he didn't believe us, that were we're just lying. The game warden looked at us in waders, with decoy bags on our backs and straps of ducks. He didn't say a word, got in his truck, and drove off.

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: SherpaPhil] #8348634 08/12/21 12:52 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
When I was in high school, my dad and I parked and walked into some flooded timber near the local lake for the opening day of duck season. We had a pretty good hunt. About mid morning, we saw the local lake patrol wannabe cop walking around on the shore nearby, but didn't think much of it. He didn't see us camoed up in the trees. He was waiting for us as we walked back to the truck and the game Warden pulled up at about the same time we did. Lake patrol started going off about us hunting deer illegally. We calmly explained to him that we were duck hunting, which was perfectly legal. He turned to the game warden and told him he didn't believe us, that were we're just lying. The game warden looked at us in waders, with decoy bags on our backs and straps of ducks. He didn't say a word, got in his truck, and drove off.

Sure you weren't hunting somewhere in Mississippi?

Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8350260 08/13/21 02:49 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Funny story:

One of the few times I have been checked when waterfowl hunting was in CO at Prewitt Res. I was with my father and brother both of whom were shooting Browning A-5s and I was shooting a side by side double. Game warden came and checked licenses and stamps as well as birds and then said he wanted to look at guns. No problem, so Dad hands over his Browning and they checked to be sure it only held 3. Brother did the same thing. No problems. The the warden asked for my gun and I handed him a double, broken open and the warden actually said I had to show him it wouldn't take more than 3 shells. I asked him how many barrels he saw and he said 2. I asked just where he thought the 3rd shell was going to be? Warden just walked away.

lol35 lol35

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: therancher] #8351400 08/14/21 02:10 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by therancher

Yup. But let’s not sell TPWD short, there are a few other rules that are dumb too.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Three And Out: History Of Shotgun Plugs Goes Back To 1935 And A Duck Shortage [Re: colt45-90] #8351409 08/14/21 02:16 PM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by colt45
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Funny story:

lol35 lol35

roflmao roflmao

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide