Page 1 of 2 1 2
Spypoint Cameras? #8338402 08/01/21 11:43 PM
O
outdoorsmen54 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
I wanna know the good and the bad on spypoint cameras. I picked up a couple from Cabela’s Saturday night to try out.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338469 08/02/21 01:00 AM
J
jimbob Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
i have one for ATT. worked great for 2 months. now I can set it right next to my cell with good signal and it refuses to connect. I have uploaded software upgrades and still nothing. Its not even heavy enough for a boat anchor

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338488 08/02/21 01:17 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have two SpyPoint Cell links that I connect to my own trail cams. They work very well, but can be finicky once in a while. Even with only one bar of cell service they still send photos. But in the last week or so the cell signal has been bad at times and great at other times. They will disconnect for a while the start sending pics again when signal is good. I send pics every 2 hrs. Both of mine are Nationwide.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338538 08/02/21 02:21 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I’ve had 3 going on 2 yrs. have never had issues. I think most the time it’s user error not the camera.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338543 08/02/21 02:34 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I have one going that I left in Oklahoma at the end of last season. I forgot to hike up to get it, and figured I'd let the batteries die and just take new batteries up on my work weekend next week. Unbelievably, I am still getting pictures from it. I have 3 of them, and my father in law has 3 of them. 5 out of the 6 work flawlessly. One of them, we can't figure out what is wrong with it.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338598 08/02/21 04:08 AM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I had three with only one still working. Tried to update, changed cards, customer service, you name it and I tried it. Two will not connect no matter what I do and the first one is still working flawlessly. Changed out the other two for Reveal X and no problems so far. Would buy more but no one has them in stock.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338642 08/02/21 10:36 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Do a search on this forum and you can gather a lot of information.
I had one that I did a lot of test on right there in my backyard and the detection circuits
were terrible because I had wildlife at my feeder and no pictures. Tried to work with their "no
customer service" and that was a joke. Some have had luck with them but a lot of others had so
many problems with them. I don't agree with the comment above about user error because most hunters
have purchased lots of cameras over the years and know how to run them in great detail. Even in my case I
had the Spypoint and another camera side by side and could prove the detection circuit problems.
just my 2 cents.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338648 08/02/21 10:57 AM
Pootie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by outdoorsmen54
I wanna know the good and the bad on spypoint cameras. I picked up a couple from Cabela’s Saturday night to try out.

Good luck - from my experience you will need it. And - not user error when they work for a week or two and quit.

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8338652 08/02/21 11:19 AM
O
outdoorsmen54 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Thanks everyone for the reviews. I’m gonna give them a go and see what happens. I have regular trail cams as wel that’s already going on the place.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: B_Man] #8339407 08/02/21 10:28 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by B_Man
Do a search on this forum and you can gather a lot of information.
I had one that I did a lot of test on right there in my backyard and the detection circuits
were terrible because I had wildlife at my feeder and no pictures. Tried to work with their "no
customer service" and that was a joke. Some have had luck with them but a lot of others had so
many problems with them. I don't agree with the comment above about user error because most hunters
have purchased lots of cameras over the years and know how to run them in great detail. Even in my case I
had the Spypoint and another camera side by side and could prove the detection circuit problems.
just my 2 cents.

Agree on it not being user error. The 5 that work great jus work. The one that doesn't is not user error, because we've been successful 5 out of 6 times.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8339504 08/02/21 11:57 PM
S
Stetsonoverton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I have 9 currently and for the most part haven’t had any issues had 2-3 that’s didn’t wanna cooperate but they exchanged them no questions asked.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: Pootie] #8339593 08/03/21 01:26 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Pootie
Originally Posted by outdoorsmen54

Good luck - from my experience you will need it. And - not user error when they work for a week or two and quit.

I had one of three quit sending pics and wouldn’t get signal. Did a quick and easy update on my computer and it was working just as good as ever afterwards.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8339780 08/03/21 12:32 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
I bought one when my son was drawn for the Chap back in December so we could hunt multiple spots in that short time frame.
Honestly, I have no complaints other than the quality. The Set up and app were super easy and was functioning in a matter of minutes. I like that you can pay month to month instead of an annual contract all through the app. But back to the quality. It maybe low due to the signal I’m receiving, but it sure ain’t 10mp. I know what I have coming in and the times. Bottom line, I think it’s a bargain for $99

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: Stevarino] #8339791 08/03/21 12:45 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Stevarino
I bought one when my son was drawn for the Chap back in December so we could hunt multiple spots in that short time frame.
Honestly, I have no complaints other than the quality. The Set up and app were super easy and was functioning in a matter of minutes. I like that you can pay month to month instead of an annual contract all through the app. But back to the quality. It maybe low due to the signal I’m receiving, but it sure ain’t 10mp. I know what I have coming in and the times. Bottom line, I think it’s a bargain for $99

You can buy HD pics they are cheap I buy 50 at a time so I can get the better version of the good pics.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: SapperTitan] #8339825 08/03/21 01:05 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

You can buy HD pics they are cheap I buy 50 at a time so I can get the better version of the good pics.

Thanks, I’ll take a look. The problem I have is getting 100+/day which could be all doe. Guess it’s worth a shot though.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: Stevarino] #8339829 08/03/21 01:10 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Thanks, I’ll take a look. The problem I have is getting 100+/day which could be all doe. Guess it’s worth a shot though.

You select which pics you want in HD. When looking through pics and you see a good pic just select request full HD

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: SapperTitan] #8339838 08/03/21 01:17 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S

You select which pics you want in HD. When looking through pics and you see a good pic just select request full HD

Damn, that’s easy enough. What will the Chinese think of next..

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: Stevarino] #8339844 08/03/21 01:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I think that low picture quality may be happening for a couple of reasons. I have bought 3 to 4 cameras of the same model or brand now 4 times in the last 10 yrs. Out of 4 cameras of the same brand and model there may be 2 or 3 that take horrible pics. The others will take great photos. I also think that my Cell Link will not send the same file size that your camera takes. It sends a smaller file and then stores the larger file on the micro SD card. They do that to save battery life. You can download the SD card to your computer later on when the card is full and get the better quality images. All cameras take higher daytime resolution photos than they do at night with B&W infrared. So when you get a lower resolution pic that was taken at night, it will be even lower resolution by the time you see it on the app. Slow trigger speed can affect picture quality also....giving it a blurry/grainy look. I have a higher end non-cell Reconyx camera set on high resolution that does not take any better night time pics than a $29 Walmart Tasco camera. I have seen photos from other camera brands that are much better but even then a camera or two from a large group may take low quality pics.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8339860 08/03/21 01:35 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
I don’t want to skew anyone’s opinion based on my comment of low quality so I’ve attached a daytime and nighttime photo. The pics are fine, just not the clearest I’ve seen. STX, I’ve yet to download from the card, but will check it out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: Stevarino] #8339867 08/03/21 01:39 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I don’t want to skew anyone’s opinion based on my comment of low quality so I’ve attached a daytime and nighttime photo. The pics are fine, just not the clearest I’ve seen. STX, I’ve yet to download from the card, but will check it out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Downloading from the card should give you as good or better quality than downloading HD photo using phone

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8339871 08/03/21 01:40 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
This is a pic I downloaded the HD version of. Pretty good IMO.
[Linked Image]

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8339881 08/03/21 01:45 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Yeah, that’s solid!
I have a main frame 10 that now appears to be a mf 12 with a couple kickers. He just happened to step really close to the camera for a pic.. it’s those little details you miss out on.
As far as aging and patterning, the basic package is doable.

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: Stevarino] #8339902 08/03/21 01:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The daytime one you zoomed in on is only 449KB and the night time is only 246KB in size. They will all look blurry or grainy when you zoom in or crop them. What is your camera set on for picture resolution size? I own 2 older SpyPoint cams and I will say that neither one of them take very good quality photos. Here is one of them in comparison. This not a cell cam but I have a SpyPoint link hooked to it. Here are the two pics taken one at night and one in daylight set at low resolution IIRC. They are even smaller file size than yours are at 72KB daytime and 56KB night time. These are not cropped but when I zoom in on them they look like your photo as far as quality. When I zoom in on low resolution photos taken with my Canon 90D they will look the same way.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8339922 08/03/21 02:01 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
This thread is the only positive I've ever read on SpyPoint...every one but one guy (he has one camera) that used them at our lease have replaced them with something else.

I am the world's hardest on cell cameras evidently...I know I'd never be happy with SpyPoint. To be completely transparent...this will be my 3rd season messing with cellular cameras and I'm on my 4th brand. If a particular manufacturer makes a bad one, I'm going to get it. I'm getting ready to put out Tactacam Reveal X within the next few weeks. I've stopped with the high hopes and my only hope is that they aren't a PIA.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Spypoint Cameras? [Re: outdoorsmen54] #8339930 08/03/21 02:08 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Here’s the same daytime pic without cropping. After looking through the settings I’m unable to determine the resolution size. I also just noticed the trigger speed is on optimal vs fast. Not sure if switching that will help.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide