Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steven Rinella was great at TWA #8337508 07/31/21 09:44 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I watch almost ZERO tv so Ive only watched a portion of a couple episodes of this guys shows. All I know about him is that several of yall seem to like him. Well, he was the keynote speaker at the TWAF luncheon as a part of the recent TWA Annual Convention. I could tell by the impressive introduction he was given that he wasnt going to be your basic whack em and stack em kind of hunter. He pounced up on the stage in jeans, shirt tail untucked and sleeves rolled up. No suit and tie but no overalls and snuff either. He started right in talking to us(1000 or so) like we were all around a campfire. He seemed comfortable enough but maybe not completely at home. Very engaging, he had our attention. I cant possibly try to redeliver his message but its content and delivery were spot on for this audience. As related to hunting, he covered 4 basic topics. Ethics, Kids, CWD and Access. I was very impressed and feel hes a great ambassador for hunting.
Im sure hes not perfect, so if the usual THF naysayers chime in and cut him down I wont be able to defend him cause this is all I know of him.

[Linked Image]

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337511 07/31/21 09:46 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
i like him

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337513 07/31/21 09:48 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I enjoyed it. Obviously, a very intelligent guy. The attire struck me as trying a bit too hard, but whatever; he can wear whatever the hell he wants.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337521 07/31/21 10:00 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
I like his shows , know nothing of him personally

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337550 07/31/21 10:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I like the guy. He is the opposite of the southern redneck, long scraggly beard don't know if he's homeless who has a horrible southern accent that dominates alot of the airwaves today. He is a thinker and a damn smart individual who has knowledge on a subject before he speaks about it. He is a tad left leaning on some issues but maybe thats a good thing, as I can be too on some things when it comes to the environment, such as mining, drilling and exploration. His hunting world is almost a 180 degree difference than ours (due to the amount of public land in the Western US)in that his focus is on keeping public land accessible, wherein we don't have much public land here in Texas so its out of sight out of mind to most hunters here. I can identify with him more than most "hunting celebrities" and he is def. more of an asset to us hunters than people like Ted Nugent when it comes to winning the hearts and minds of the non-hunter.

The only thing I didn't like, and I called it before we got there, was his portion on CWD. Not arguing his take on it, but think it was a topic he was pressured into speaking on by TWA. I don't care what happens at his buddy Doug Durins farm up in Wisconsin as it relates to CWD in Texas. There is a laundry list of things that are affecting wildlife in the state other than CWD

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: Biscuit] #8337554 07/31/21 10:33 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Biscuit
I like his shows , know nothing of him personally

X2

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: Creekrunner] #8337556 07/31/21 10:36 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I enjoyed it. Obviously, a very intelligent guy. The attire struck me as trying a bit too hard, but whatever; he can wear whatever the hell he wants.

should have been in a suit....

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: txtrophy85] #8337566 07/31/21 10:50 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I like the guy. He is the opposite of the southern redneck, long scraggly beard don't know if he's homeless who has a horrible southern accent that dominates alot of the airwaves today. He is a thinker and a damn smart individual who has knowledge on a subject before he speaks about it. He is a tad left leaning on some issues but maybe thats a good thing, as I can be too on some things when it comes to the environment, such as mining, drilling and exploration. His hunting world is almost a 180 degree difference than ours (due to the amount of public land in the Western US)in that his focus is on keeping public land accessible, wherein we don't have much public land here in Texas so its out of sight out of mind to most hunters here. I can identify with him more than most "hunting celebrities" and he is def. more of an asset to us hunters than people like Ted Nugent when it comes to winning the hearts and minds of the non-hunter.

The only thing I didn't like, and I called it before we got there, was his portion on CWD. Not arguing his take on it, but think it was a topic he was pressured into speaking on by TWA. I don't care what happens at his buddy Doug Durins farm up in Wisconsin as it relates to CWD in Texas. There is a laundry list of things that are affecting wildlife in the state other than CWD

TxTro, I think you hit on everything really well. No doubt any subject he "touched on" could be discussed for days on end by themselves. In the little time he had, I think he did a fantastic job of shedding light on them all while showing his take without taking a hardline detailed(time consuming) stance. It was all informative yet light and real.
Im disappointed to know that you were there and I didnt get a chance to meet you.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337587 07/31/21 11:30 PM
F
Flashprism Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
F
I find his shows the best I've ever watched

He always comes across as one of us and even has episodes where he doesn't score!!!! Imagine that a show that I can relate to in my real world!!

Not sure of his politics but he hasn't offended me and I'll keep watch until he does. Sorry I missed his presentation. He's seems like the real thing!!!!!!!!!

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337612 08/01/21 12:19 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
My favorite is a show he made hunting squirrel with dogs in TN , the guy he had with him seemed like a genuine outdoorsman

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337615 08/01/21 12:25 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I too enjoy his shows. I bet it was a good presentation.

Make America Great Again

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8337649 08/01/21 01:14 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
His buffalo (American bison) book was a good read. Enjoyed it.

Dont watch his show since i don’t have the channel lineup, but i have seen a few episodes of meateater on netflix or something. It was decent. He is a story teller, meaning he crafts his hints around a story. I like that. Being a ling winded blowhard myself, i can relate

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: Biscuit] #8337678 08/01/21 02:25 AM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
My favorite is a show he made hunting squirrel with dogs in TN , the guy he had with him seemed like a genuine outdoorsman

My favorite was an episode where he got a feral hog and teamed up with some chef guy. They proceeded to use just about every bit of that hog in some form or fashion. I haven’t seen many of his shows, but this one struck me. They even used the intestines after cleaning them up to make natural sausage casings.

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8339166 08/02/21 06:37 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Reminds me that I need to watch more of his shows that are on Netflix. His Michigan accent wore on me a bit early on, but I got past that. I like his shows and I can relate to him on many topics regarding big game hunting in the western US.

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8339297 08/02/21 08:26 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
He promotes intelligent discussion on a variety of topics, has moved the needle away from focusing on the kill/size, and tirelessly promotes the outdoor lifestyle.

What’s not to like?

Of course I don’t agree with him on everything. Most people who folks say they agree with on almost everything are just folks who have adopted a persona to get followers and make $$$. Just entertainment politicians. Rinella is authentic.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8339807 08/03/21 12:53 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I like him, especially the cooking episodes. I feel he can be a little too talky sometimes, but what I really like about him is his show leaves the commercials to the commercials. You can tell who his sponsors are if you watch. He doesn't need to tell you 11 times an episode that he is shooting a Brand X rifle, in Y caliber, shooting Z ammo, with ABC optics all while wearing so and so brand tighty whities. It seems like nowadays most hunting shows are 30 minute long commercials, which really makes me appreciate those that aren't!

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: Kevin Heath] #8339812 08/03/21 12:57 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
I like him, especially the cooking episodes. I feel he can be a little too talky sometimes, but what I really like about him is his show leaves the commercials to the commercials. You can tell who his sponsors are if you watch. He doesn't need to tell you 11 times an episode that he is shooting a Brand X rifle, in Y caliber, shooting Z ammo, with ABC optics all while wearing so and so brand tighty whities. It seems like nowadays most hunting shows are 30 minute long commercials, which really makes me appreciate those that aren't!

Also there isn't half of the episode of him sitting there to talk about the hunt in a studio somewhere.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8339839 08/03/21 01:18 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Being that he was in Texas did he quote his book where he said (gonna paraphrase been years since I read it)

“Anyone who hunts high fence is a limp d1ck”

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: Gringo Bling] #8339852 08/03/21 01:29 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Reminds me that I need to watch more of his shows that are on Netflix. His Michigan accent wore on me a bit early on, but I got past that. I like his shows and I can relate to him on many topics regarding big game hunting in the western US.

You can also watch his shows on YouTube for free.

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: ducknbass] #8339892 08/03/21 01:50 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Being that he was in Texas did he quote his book where he said (gonna paraphrase been years since I read it)

To anyone who isn’t from Texas or South Africa a high fence is a foreign concept. People think it’s like knocking off animals in a zoo.

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: txtrophy85] #8339900 08/03/21 01:55 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B

To anyone who isn’t from Texas or South Africa a high fence is a foreign concept. People think it’s like knocking off animals in a zoo.

This is it exactly, I thought the same thing before I understood it better. I hunted an 800 acre HF as my first one and never saw the fence after we entered the property

Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: txtrophy85] #8339977 08/03/21 02:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Private property rights are also foreign. Everything is about establishing prescriptive easements

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: freerange] #8340019 08/03/21 03:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
He has a good line on hunting but he is in this for the money. He makes his living promoting himself and his beliefs. He is also good at relating why hunting is what hunting is to non-hunters. I believe he has helped bring in new hunters. He is a good advocate and voice for the new and the experienced in hunting but he is doing what he is doing to make money. He did not show up at TWA free, he was paid to be there.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: GNTX] #8340023 08/03/21 03:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by GNTX

My favorite was an episode where he got a feral hog and teamed up with some chef guy. They proceeded to use just about every bit of that hog in some form or fashion. I haven’t seen many of his shows, but this one struck me. They even used the intestines after cleaning them up to make natural sausage casings.

Was that one of the shows with Wildgame Chef and writer Hank Shaw?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Steven Rinella was great at TWA [Re: stxranchman] #8340028 08/03/21 03:06 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by GNTX

Was that one of the shows with Wildgame Chef and writer Hank Shaw?

Was that also the one they went on the Nilgai hunt as well? If so, that chef is out of Austin who has a wild game restaurant.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide