Print Thread
any recommendations for a recurve? #8336518 07/30/21 06:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
wanting to get a recurve for target shooting/general deer/hog hunting here locally.

Any recommendations? All I know is the Bear Kodiak.

Also, any advantages/disadvantages to a Takedown vs. a Non-takedown?

Don't mind spending a bit of money, not a ton but want a good quality set up from the get-go.

Also, I'm left handed so that may affect availability.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: txtrophy85] #8336691 07/30/21 10:09 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
There are lots of good ones, price is a lot of the differentiation between them. Bows such as the Samick Sage are popular and not very expensive. You will want a Different string than the crap one that coms with it. Limbs are not that expensive and there are so many out there finding another set used is a piece of cake usually.

Bear bows are good, grizzly is one. i have a couple Kodiak magnums and the Kodiak is a good one. Like a lot of things you will find some love them and others hate them. Shooting a trad bow is a lot about feel and what feels good to one might not to another

Take down bows have the advantage when traveling and changing poundage by changing limbs. Also if a set of limbs were to get warped on a takedown bow they are easy to replace. Lots of people get started with lower poundage and switch to higher poundage with just a change of limbs.

Bob Lee bows get great reviews and the ones I have shot were very comfortable to shoot. There are others though quite a few of them.

Remember when looking at poundage on a recurve you are holding the bow at full poundage for your draw length for a bit, no let off. On poundage the poundage is measured at 28 inch draw. So if you draw shorter than that you will not be getting full poundage listed on the bow. Figure about 3lbs per inch shorter your draw length is below that and take into account when selecting draw weight. For example If you are drawing 26 inches a bow marked 50 will draw 44 to 45lbs at the 26 inches. From what you have said about your draw length before is why I included that bit. Custom bows will be a bit different and often marked with the poundage at other lengths butt the builder of the bow can tailor that to the customers specifications.

Bow length I like a shorter bow for hunting and shooting while seated, longer bows will work though and are generally easier to shoot sor a lot of people.. 52 inch AMO bow is as short as I can shoot comfortably with my 28.5 inch draw and is what I hunt with.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: txtrophy85] #8336704 07/30/21 10:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: kmon11] #8336755 07/30/21 11:21 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by kmon1
There are lots of good ones, price is a lot of the differentiation between them. Bows such as the Samick Sage are popular and not very expensive. You will want a Different string than the crap one that coms with it. Limbs are not that expensive and there are so many out there finding another set used is a piece of cake usually.

Bear bows are good, grizzly is one. i have a couple Kodiak magnums and the Kodiak is a good one. Like a lot of things you will find some love them and others hate them. Shooting a trad bow is a lot about feel and what feels good to one might not to another

Take down bows have the advantage when traveling and changing poundage by changing limbs. Also if a set of limbs were to get warped on a takedown bow they are easy to replace. Lots of people get started with lower poundage and switch to higher poundage with just a change of limbs.

Bob Lee bows get great reviews and the ones I have shot were very comfortable to shoot. There are others though quite a few of them.

Remember when looking at poundage on a recurve you are holding the bow at full poundage for your draw length for a bit, no let off. On poundage the poundage is measured at 28 inch draw. So if you draw shorter than that you will not be getting full poundage listed on the bow. Figure about 3lbs per inch shorter your draw length is below that and take into account when selecting draw weight. For example If you are drawing 26 inches a bow marked 50 will draw 44 to 45lbs at the 26 inches. From what you have said about your draw length before is why I included that bit. Custom bows will be a bit different and often marked with the poundage at other lengths butt the builder of the bow can tailor that to the customers specifications.

Bow length I like a shorter bow for hunting and shooting while seated, longer bows will work though and are generally easier to shoot sor a lot of people.. 52 inch AMO bow is as short as I can shoot comfortably with my 28.5 inch draw and is what I hunt with.

Good info....the Samick sage has been recommend to me by several others. I guess it’s worth a look for the piece can’t beat it

Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: stxranchman] #8336821 07/31/21 12:41 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Those are slick!

Definitely gonna go by their shop

Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: txtrophy85] #8336827 07/31/21 12:53 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Those are slick!

Definitely gonna go by their shop

There used to be a guy in Center Point that made longbows. Not sure if he still around.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: txtrophy85] #8336894 07/31/21 02:19 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The Sage will not be in the class of the Bows STX posted the links to and I really like the limb design on their Intreped STR.

Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: kmon11] #8336898 07/31/21 02:23 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by kmon1
The Sage will not be in the class of the Bows STX posted the links to and I really like the limb design on their Intreped STR.

thats the one i like!

Re: any recommendations for a recurve? [Re: txtrophy85] #8336956 07/31/21 04:09 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
the Cabela's Warden bows had a very similar limb design as STR but were priced more like a Sage and no where as good looking as the STR. Same limb pockets as the Sage but felt better to me shooting than the Sage, seemed to have a little less vibration before and after adding silencers/dampeners etc. It was available in 40, 45 and 50lb draw.

Last edited by kmon1; 07/31/21 04:10 AM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide