Page 1 of 2 1 2
Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... #8334843 07/29/21 11:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
It was a typical hot summer evening and I decided to sit in the blind again. It was 96 at 5:30 but I checked all the trail cams and feeders. I saw about 6 or 7 does, 4 or 5 fawns and 6 bucks while doing that. I got into the blind about 6:40 and had 2 does on the road corn as I was walking back to the blind. The bucks did not start to move well till the shadows got longer but I ended up seeing at least 10 different ones. Couple I had not seen before, only on trail cams till yesterday.
The first event today was fence jumping. Almost all the bucks participated.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334850 07/29/21 11:38 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Wait a minute, are they jumping over, egad, barb wire? I thought someone had instructed me this was not a good thing?

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334858 07/29/21 11:44 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
With some thunderstorms to the west, the sun got behind the clouds making it darker than normal when the deer showed up. Made taking pictures difficult with the moving around so much and posturing up on each other. This mature dark faced 8pt showed up and 2 bucks immediately postured up and moved towards him. I thought I might see a boxing match when one of the bucks started to rare up a little.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: Hudbone] #8334866 07/29/21 11:50 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Wait a minute, are they jumping over, egad, barb wire? I thought someone had instructed me this was not a good thing?

It is not but this pen was already there but the cattle had torn it up. It was a 5 wire barbwire pen or what was left of it. So I patched it with some cattle panels, then the hogs moved in. The little pigs were getting thru the squares so I added some chicken wire to keep them out. These deer all jump the fences readily here. Every barbwire fence is either a 6, 7 or 8 wire fence, even a few old net wire fences on the neighbors. With the cattle having torn this pen up once already I decide to keep the height and wire as it was. If you notice the back side behind the trough I had to leave the 50" panels in one piece since that is where the cattle got in the first time last winter. After I got this place I wanted to start feeding ASAP so I just used two of the pens as is.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334868 07/29/21 11:51 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Looks to me like the mature 8 wasn't concerned about much while the others wanted to be ready just in case.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334878 07/29/21 11:58 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Some great contenders there on your new patch of scrabble. up

Originally Posted by stxranchman

It is not but this pen was already there but the cattle had torn it up. It was a 5 wire barbwire pen or what was left of it. So I patched it with some cattle panels, then the hogs moved in. The little pigs were getting thru the squares so I added some chicken wire to keep them out. These deer all jump the fences readily here. Every barbwire fence is either a 6, 7 or 8 wire fence, even a few old net wire fences on the neighbors. With the cattle having torn this pen up once already I decide to keep the height and wire as it was. If you notice the back side behind the trough I had to leave the 50" panels in one piece since that is where the cattle got in the first time last winter. After I got this place I wanted to start feeding ASAP so I just used two of the pens as is.

I don't know. All that chicken wire makes it look like a convoluted mess. Keepin' the pigs out though. grin 'Never figured you for a ramshackle rancher. Looks more like something I'd throw together. Better square that away ASAP. Remember to hydrate! laugh bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: Creekrunner] #8334890 07/29/21 12:12 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Some great contenders there on your new patch of scrabble. up

Originally Posted by stxranchman

I don't know. All that chicken wire makes it look like a convoluted mess. Keepin' the pigs out though. grin 'Never figured you for a ramshackle rancher. Looks more like something I'd throw together. Better square that away ASAP. Remember to hydrate! laugh bolt

I am going to build two new pens with hog panels but leasing the cattle grazing and having the cattle already tearing up one pen has me concerned. There are 3 old barbwire pens there and the cattle were in this pasture when I started to feed. The chickenwire was 24" tall, tied to that panel in a lot of locations to the cattle panel that is cut in half (25" tall). I had a few leftover cattle panels already on a trailer when I moved and have built pens out the cattle panel cut in half. Built pens before with the half panels. Just had a pig issue with those so I rebuilt those two pens with hog panels. Hog panels back then were $17 and now they are $28 to $34 depending on where I buy them. The guys that had this place leased had 5 wire pens and nice gates. They left 3 pens but took the gate off this one. If I keep this pen at this location then I will redo it at some point. Going to thru a season to see if I want to move it or leave it depending on how the deer move/travel on this place. Like most places in the hill country it is going to take a jackhammer or Hilti drill to put in posts on any pen I build.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: Hudbone] #8334891 07/29/21 12:14 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Looks to me like the mature 8 wasn't concerned about much while the others wanted to be ready just in case.

One buck he wasn't going to be to concerned but when two of him turned on him he got defensive instead of aggressive.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334910 07/29/21 12:34 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
32 by 32 no bueno. Larger pens and a weed whacker will keep the cattle from wanting to go inside.

Advice free - this time.

Last edited by Hudbone; 07/29/21 12:35 PM.
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: Hudbone] #8334916 07/29/21 12:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

roflmao roflmao roflmao I politely questioned same thing last night roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: Hudbone] #8334918 07/29/21 12:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
32 by 32 no bueno. Larger pens and a weed whacker will keep the cattle from wanting to go inside.

Advice free - this time.

Pens were there: free. 40'x40' in size with pipe(conduit) corners cemeted in place and tpost in place. No jackhammer needed to get a pen up and feeding since I had the old cattle panels already. Not pretty but functional. These guys fed protein out of the barbwire pens, but I had seen hog sign and new they would be an issue. Not ready for how many there were on the place. I put feed in the two pens then had hogs on cams immediately. I hate hogs but wanted to feed deer. Not the prettiest or best looking but they work for now=no hog problems. Two new pens will be round with 12 to 13 hog panels in size.
Cattle were in the pens due to the open troughs being to close to the edge. Covered sheds over feeders were nice but to close to the edge in to small of pens was the issue. Not the grass, the drought and feeder close to edge was the issue.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8334919 07/29/21 12:44 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

roflmao roflmao roflmao I politely questioned same thing last night roflmao

You would think deer would jump into the pen on the lower sides, but the first pics I had of deer in the pen they were jumping the 50" tall cattle panel on the backside of the pen. Now they jump in on the 3 lower sides.
They don't seem to have issue with fence height or size of the pen. All those bucks on the outside or not at the feed trough were at the feeder first, the group at the trough had to wait for their turn.
[Linked Image]

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334941 07/29/21 12:55 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Beautiful

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334973 07/29/21 01:14 PM
B
Birdboy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Looks like it's going to be a good season for you! Nice pics

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334983 07/29/21 01:18 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Pure greatness. Love the velvet. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8334984 07/29/21 01:18 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Would hep you to expand them if 32 X 32. 40 X 40 should be sufficient. My services will not be needed. remember, it is the thought that counts.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: Hudbone] #8335009 07/29/21 01:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Would hep you to expand them if 32 X 32. 40 X 40 should be sufficient. My services will not be needed. remember, it is the thought that counts.

cheers I'll be thinking of your offer when I put the 2 new pens in the next month. One new pen will be in a location I might?? be able to drive in t-post....might is the million dollar question. I never build a pen under 10 panels and build them round. These are all square and do not like them but they will do for a while. Deer don't care at this point as long as the Welfare Wagon pulls up on a regular basis.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8335017 07/29/21 01:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
A few more pics.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8335035 07/29/21 02:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
A dry doe eek2

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8335063 07/29/21 02:20 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
5,6,&7 great form!!! clap
[Linked Image]

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8335074 07/29/21 02:36 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Looks like a gold medal to me.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8335079 07/29/21 02:40 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Crazy good bucks on your new place to start with!
You are going to have some difficult decisions on what to cull to improve the genetics.

The pictures you are taking are amazing to say the least. Fantastic!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: stxranchman] #8335081 07/29/21 02:42 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I sometimes go "mining" for rebar at some of the old feed pens on my place. You might as well invest in a trailer compressor and jack hammer now.

'Thinking about naming my north pig trap "Rockmanizzoff". grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: Creekrunner] #8335087 07/29/21 02:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I sometimes go "mining" for rebar at some of the old feed pens on my place. You might as well invest in a trailer compressor and jack hammer now.

'Thinking about naming my north pig trap "Rockmanizzoff". grin

roflmao I just found out last week that my neighbor has a compressor and jackhammer....said I can use it when I need it.

Re: Summer Olympics Hill Country version..... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8335095 07/29/21 02:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
A dry doe eek2

I saw 5 does and 4 fawns riding around yesterday....so IF(proverbial IF) she is dry then it not a big loss at this point. To many deer and not enough tags is going to make it interesting for sure. Doe numbers need to drop for sure....at least 12 on the hit list at this point. Once I get a count on fawns I will know better how many I need to remove.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide