texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Texas Tactical Depo, Masav05, 19MAD81, Lifechaser, WILDWHIT
68796 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 108,608
stxranchman 58,235
SnakeWrangler 57,521
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 43,681
BMD 41,222
Big Orn 37,484
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics609,793
Posts11,412,208
Members83,796
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Burris Thermals #8334199 07/28/21 07:45 PM
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 34
D
dustyhog Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 34
Has anyone tested the new Burris thermal scopes and handhelds. Look interesting.

Re: Burris Thermals [Re: dustyhog] #8335792 07/30/21 12:13 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 501
Outdoor Legacy Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 501
I was initially excited to hear Burris was getting into the thermal game but it turns out, we were disappointed. I don't like to publicly blast other companies or businesses without a really really good reason and I think Burris is a good company but their thermal decisions and choices were, in my opinion, very poor. Their scopes are old technology that has been available in the US for a long time under the name Guide IR or the full name, Wuhan Guide Infrared. I'm not against them because they are Chinese. The majority of the thermal scopes sold in the US are made in China, that's just the way it is. But when it comes to the current Burris line up, there are much much better options on the market for the same or less money. The only reason they are even being discussed now is because they have Burris's name on them.

I'm hoping for a positive change in the future but for now, I'd steer clear and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Just my 2 cents.


Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818


Re: Burris Thermals [Re: dustyhog] #8336337 07/30/21 03:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,155
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
P
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,155
Truth


This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Burris Thermals [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8337216 07/31/21 04:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 34,573
F
FiremanJG Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
F
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 34,573
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
I was initially excited to hear Burris was getting into the thermal game but it turns out, we were disappointed. I don't like to publicly blast other companies or businesses without a really really good reason and I think Burris is a good company but their thermal decisions and choices were, in my opinion, very poor. Their scopes are old technology that has been available in the US for a long time under the name Guide IR or the full name, Wuhan Guide Infrared. I'm not against them because they are Chinese. The majority of the thermal scopes sold in the US are made in China, that's just the way it is. But when it comes to the current Burris line up, there are much much better options on the market for the same or less money. The only reason they are even being discussed now is because they have Burris's name on them.

I'm hoping for a positive change in the future but for now, I'd steer clear and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Just my 2 cents.


As is the case with regular optics, they should listen to people like you.

I guarantee there are high up employees at Burris, that know less about using thermals than some of y'all do.

I have looked a new arriving rifle scopes, and thought many times "dangit, yall almost got it right".


[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Burris Thermals [Re: FiremanJG] #8337402 07/31/21 07:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 501
Outdoor Legacy Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 501
Originally Posted by FiremanJG


As is the case with regular optics, they should listen to people like you.

I guarantee there are high up employees at Burris, that know less about using thermals than some of y'all do.

I have looked a new arriving rifle scopes, and thought many times "dangit, yall almost got it right".


You're very kind and to be honest, I totally agree, they should have definitely consulted with some thermal industry insiders. And because this is such a small industry, I know they didn't. I expect we'll see this happening more and more as the daytime scope companies continue to move into the thermal side of things. They think that just because everyone knows their brand name, they will sell a lot of scopes and sadly..... they are probably right.

I had a guy call me and ask about the Burris thermals and I explained in detail about why they were over priced, out dated and he could get a much better, prove optic from multiple other thermal manufacturers for the same or less money. He told me I was the second person to tell him that. At the end of the conversation he said, "ya but I like my Burris scopes, I'm going to buy one anyway." Hey, it's his money! hammer


Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818


Re: Burris Thermals [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8337468 07/31/21 08:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 34,573
F
FiremanJG Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
F
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 34,573
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
Originally Posted by FiremanJG


As is the case with regular optics, they should listen to people like you.

I guarantee there are high up employees at Burris, that know less about using thermals than some of y'all do.

I have looked a new arriving rifle scopes, and thought many times "dangit, yall almost got it right".


You're very kind and to be honest, I totally agree, they should have definitely consulted with some thermal industry insiders. And because this is such a small industry, I know they didn't. I expect we'll see this happening more and more as the daytime scope companies continue to move into the thermal side of things. They think that just because everyone knows their brand name, they will sell a lot of scopes and sadly..... they are probably right.

I had a guy call me and ask about the Burris thermals and I explained in detail about why they were over priced, out dated and he could get a much better, prove optic from multiple other thermal manufacturers for the same or less money. He told me I was the second person to tell him that. At the end of the conversation he said, "ya but I like my Burris scopes, I'm going to buy one anyway." Hey, it's his money! hammer


I will never understand that mentality.

I get the same thing (though rare) with regular optics. A guy tells me what he needs it to do. Then I ask his budget. I will stay in his budget. The lower the number, the less options there are. Most listen, the few that do not, guess what they end up doing? Selling the thing they shouldn't have bought in the first place, and buying what they should have bought in the first place. And the one they sell, they lost money on it.

I, on the other hand, know that I don't know squat about thermal rifle scopes. So I also know who to listen to, and pay attention to. It'll save me frustration and money in the long run.

John did it with a high end Leupold. I told him, "if you're willing to spend that much money go Night Force ATACR". He's a long time Leupold fan. Brand new scope came with problems right out of the box. Leupold sent him another scope, he sold it immediately, and bought an ATACR. And I got to say...


[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Burris Thermals [Re: FiremanJG] #8338864 08/02/21 02:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 501
Outdoor Legacy Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 501
Originally Posted by FiremanJG


........I, on the other hand, know that I don't know squat about thermal rifle scopes. So I also know who to listen to, and pay attention to. It'll save me frustration and money in the long run.


I don't know squat about long range scopes and I'm definitely no expert on normal range daytime scopes. Like you said, I'm going to seek out an expert and take their advice on the things I don't know about. I can screw it all up and make a bad decision on my own....I don't need to waste an expert's time to do that.lol!


Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818


Re: Burris Thermals [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8338885 08/02/21 03:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 34,573
F
FiremanJG Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
F
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 34,573
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
Originally Posted by FiremanJG


........I, on the other hand, know that I don't know squat about thermal rifle scopes. So I also know who to listen to, and pay attention to. It'll save me frustration and money in the long run.


I don't know squat about long range scopes and I'm definitely no expert on normal range daytime scopes. Like you said, I'm going to seek out an expert and take their advice on the things I don't know about. I can screw it all up and make a bad decision on my own....I don't need to waste an expert's time to do that.lol!



Same page.


[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3