Print Thread
Gum grafting #8331580 07/26/21 12:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Old age and genetics has caught up with me. Never smoked or dipped.

Anyone had gum grafting done on receding gums? My sister and niece claim it's not as bad as it sounds. Does it have a high success rate? Are there other options?

TIA

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/26/21 12:49 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8331600 07/26/21 01:02 PM
P
PKdreams Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
As an alternative look into scaling, root planing and gum contouring. My wife had these done and it worked for her. It closed up her pockets and added gum. Recovery was about a week if I remember correctly including liquid diet. Good luck.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: PKdreams] #8331616 07/26/21 01:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by PKdreams
As an alternative look into scaling, root planing and gum contouring. My wife had these done and it worked for her. It closed up her pockets and added gum. Recovery was about a week if I remember correctly including liquid diet. Good luck.

Thanks again for that feedback.

My issue turned during my last checkup where it's been a revolving door of dentists. The dentist told me I had bone loss and needed "deep cleaning" every three months, even though I have no bleeding or loose teeth. They also refused to give me just a routine cleaning. That was enough to send me to the door immediately to start looking for a second opinion. The issue of grafting came up while talking with the visit with my sister. I also agree that some dentists are playing to play catch up after being shut down by COVID.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/26/21 01:23 PM.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8331626 07/26/21 01:29 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I had my gums cut open and pulled down over cadaver gums. They looked great for 2-3 years. It has been 10 years or so now and they are back to where they use to be. The procedure wasn't bad if you can get past the sound of your gums being cut off of the roots of your teeth. That and the taste of cadaver gums. That is funky.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8331630 07/26/21 01:30 PM
P
PKdreams Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
She had some bone loss and does get deep cleaning every 3 months as well. Also uses water pic almost daily. It has all worked for her to improve her condition.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8331637 07/26/21 01:33 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I had to have it done 30 years ago, they took the graft off the roof of my mouth. Not the worst thing I've ever had done to me, on the uncomfortable side for a few days. It helped some.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8331746 07/26/21 03:26 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
In for more info. I had an awful ache in my gums last week, right where the dentist had recently replaced a crown. Dentist said I had a bad infection in my gum at the bone and tooth extraction was the only option. They took out the tooth that they crowned and wisdom tooth next to it. They couldn’t do the graft at that time due to fear of closing the infection back in. Supposed to go back in a couple months for the graft, and an implant, but know nothing about it.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8332226 07/26/21 10:02 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Had it done years ago by a Periodontist. Tissue from roof of mouth then placed where needed. No discomfort at Dr. office due to meds, Some discomfort after returning home. Went thru a period of deep cleaning (scaling) every 3 months. All is good now.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8332271 07/26/21 10:37 PM
D
Daniel Boone Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
Had gum grafts done by a periodontist in McKinney and it helped alot. Not sure where you are at but if you want his information just send me a PM. I highly recommend him.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8332611 07/27/21 04:10 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

My issue turned during my last checkup where it's been a revolving door of dentists. The dentist told me I had bone loss and needed "deep cleaning" every three months, even though I have no bleeding or loose teeth. They also refused to give me just a routine cleaning. That was enough to send me to the door immediately to start looking for a second opinion. The issue of grafting came up while talking with the visit with my sister. I also agree that some dentists are playing to play catch up after being shut down by COVID.

Really depends on your condition. A dentist/hygienist can't (or shouldn't) do a routine cleaning if a deep cleaning is indicated....it would be below the standard of care and a liability issue. I've had patients get upset about the same thing, but I'm not going to do something that can come back to bite me later on or possibly even make the condition worse.

As far as gum grafting it is really only indicated in a few cases, IMO. About a 50% success rate. Personally I wouldn't have it done unless it was really severe recession in an area that also had a lot of sensitivity and served an esthetic purpose.

Best thing someone with periodontal disease can do is get a deep scaling followed by cleanings every 3-4 months and keep it up with an electric toothbrush and a Water Pik.

Anyone can feel free to PM me any questions and I'll try to help.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8332638 07/27/21 10:13 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Doc, thanks for your comments on this topic. I fall in this category requiring regular deep cleanings but also suffer with extreme sensitivity. It's been a real catch-22 for me resulting in putting off dental visits... the temporary easy way out. I am in the neighboring town to you and will connect with you separately if ok. I have been looking for the right dentist for some time. Thanks much.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8332997 07/27/21 05:25 PM
P
Piper354 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Had it done about 5 years ago. Cut from the roof of my mouth. Had front and back for lower front teeth done. Two Separate procedures.

Not bad, they give you basically a date rape drug that makes you not care at all. I was awake and had ear buds in just watching them cut me up, not a care in the world. That is a scary drug based on that.

Soft food for awhile, can't remember how long. The food is the worst part. I like food!

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8333050 07/27/21 06:06 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I hadn't been to a dentist since I was 8 years old. At 34 years old I got very affordable dental insurance through my wife's work at her urging and went for a checkup. They said my teeth looked fine and they could tell I hadn't been in for a cleaning recently, but refused to believe how long it had been and insisted that good teeth must run in my family. I kept my normal teeth care routine I've had for at least 2 decades, floss, mouth wash and brush daily. On my second visit 6 months later I had a cavity.... I call that some straight up BS you can say I have some speculations about them.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8333597 07/28/21 02:41 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
When mine was done the dentist did encourage me to see a periodontist but i would not do it. Mostly because of the unknown pain etc. That dentist did some deep cleaning and I think I was seeing him every 4 months for the cleaning. I had to relocate to another area so found a dentist in the new city. The first thing he told me was I needed to see a periodontist and that the previous dentist had done a good job. I felt it was time to move on and did, thankful all has turned out well.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8334299 07/28/21 09:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Here's an update to share.

Today I had an appointment with a dentist I and my family used for many years before the area around us built out and other dentist offices opened nearby.

He checked my teeth and gums and said he saw no reason why I shouldn't have all my teeth the day they put me in the ground. He attributed the areas of recession to poor use of the toothbrush. He checked the tooth with recession and found it as firm in bone and gums and the rest. Advised me on better brushing to avoid recession and told me to come back in six months for another cleaning and he would check for improvement on my part. To put it simply, I've been brushing my teeth way too hard.

He also said he would never advise a diabetic to get deep cleaning since diabetics don't heal as fast as those without the condition. The idea behind deep cleaning is that it gets the gums to "heal back" to cover more tooth area. He also told me that ANY action to address the receding gum would be futile until I brush properly.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/28/21 09:05 PM.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8334454 07/28/21 11:09 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
That's good news, Dan.

I agree that bone loss without mobility is a good sign. You can hang onto teeth with moderate bone loss for many years as long as mobility is non-existent. Once teeth become mobile they typically lose bone pretty quickly. Also agree that hard brushing can cause gum recession....always make sure and use a soft or extra soft bristle brush, even better is spend $80 and get a Sonicare or Oral B electric. I can always tell patients who use electric toothbrushes...gums are always healthier.

The diabetes thing is confusing to hear...maybe he meant "gum grafting" is not indicated for diabetics which I agree with. Poor healing will kill the graft. However, diabetics are more prone to gum inflammation and if there is build-up below the gum line you have to get that out so the gums can tighten up to the tooth, otherwise the bone loss will slowly continue.

Glad you got a second opinion that is probably a better option for you.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: DocHorton] #8334624 07/29/21 01:44 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DocHorton
That's good news, Dan.

I agree that bone loss without mobility is a good sign. You can hang onto teeth with moderate bone loss for many years as long as mobility is non-existent. Once teeth become mobile they typically lose bone pretty quickly. Also agree that hard brushing can cause gum recession....always make sure and use a soft or extra soft bristle brush, even better is spend $80 and get a Sonicare or Oral B electric. I can always tell patients who use electric toothbrushes...gums are always healthier.

The diabetes thing is confusing to hear...maybe he meant "gum grafting" is not indicated for diabetics which I agree with. Poor healing will kill the graft. However, diabetics are more prone to gum inflammation and if there is build-up below the gum line you have to get that out so the gums can tighten up to the tooth, otherwise the bone loss will slowly continue.

Glad you got a second opinion that is probably a better option for you.

Thanks for the reply.

As I understand it, deep cleaning is meant to remove pockets of bacteria below the gum line so that the gums can then heal back and advance. It appears I don't have any deep pockets of bacteria, which I take is why I have no bleeding or loose teeth. It makes complete sense that grafting would have a lower success rate for diabetics.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/29/21 01:45 AM.

Re: Gum grafting [Re: Texas Dan] #8335080 07/29/21 02:40 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Get you a sonicare brush, you'll never go back!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide