Print Thread
Best way to get deer hunting permission? #8329509 07/23/21 06:27 PM
T
TheHeadTurkey Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Hi I live in central Texas and I don't have a property to hunt deer on, and I'm 16 so I cant drive far too public lands all the time. What is the best way to get permission to hunt deer on properties near me? I used ONX maps to find a bunch of properties and then I used property search on the specific counties website to find the mailing addresses, and then I sent 45 letters to 45 property owners asking for hunting permission. I got permission to turkey hunt on one of those properties in March and that's where I killed my first turkey. Does anyone know any way to find landowners that will perhaps say yes to hunting more than others? Is there a certain kind of property owner(farmers, timber companies, etc) that will say more yes than others? I was successful with my permission method before I just find the process of finding properties on onX, searching them up on property search, typing out letters, then mailing the letters very tedious. I was hoping there was a way of finding permission that was more efficient and successful. I don't care what property I'm on as long as it's not high fenced, it's not farther than 2 hours away from my house, and there's game/deer on the property.

Last edited by TheHeadTurkey; 07/23/21 06:29 PM.
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329514 07/23/21 06:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TheHeadTurkey
Hi I live in central Texas and I don't have a property to hunt deer on, and I'm 16 so I cant drive far too public lands all the time. What is the best way to get permission to hunt deer on properties near me? I used ONX maps to find a bunch of properties and then I used property search on the specific counties website to find the mailing addresses, and then I sent 45 letters to 45 property owners asking for hunting permission. I got permission to turkey hunt on one of those properties in March and that's where I killed my first turkey. Does anyone know any way to find landowners that will perhaps say yes to hunting more than others? Is there a certain kind of property owner(farmers, timber companies, etc) that will say more yes than others? I was successful with my permission method before I just find the process of finding properties on onX, searching them up on property search, typing out letters, then mailing the letters very tedious. I was hoping there was a way of finding permission that was more efficient and successful. I don't care what property I'm on as long as it's not farther than 2 hours away from my house, and there's game/deer on the property.

Keep doing what you are doing. Tedious = cheap comparably. Don't for get Texas Draw options

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329533 07/23/21 06:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
In all boils down to how many people you can add to your contact list. You might start by contacting the TPWD officer(s) who work your area as ask them if they can put you in touch with a person or two. If your parents allow it, you might try one of the old school methods and put notes on gates and near mailboxes to introduce yourself and see if any landowners are interested in helping you. You could also put small notes on the bulletin boards in local feed stores. And if you're looking for a more inside track and can read maps and satellite images of areas that you can get online, you might consider going to your County Tax Office and get contact information that you can use to send letters to landowners of places you find first by driving the local back roads.

Again, it all boils down to how many landowners and friends of landowners that you can identify and contact.

Good luck!

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/23/21 06:52 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329552 07/23/21 07:05 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
First thing I would do would be to go back to the folks that let you hunt there for turkey. I am going to assume that you got them a little gift or shared your meat or something right? If they were happy about how you treated thier property, ask them if they know others with property, and ask if they would be willing to vouche for you.

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329559 07/23/21 07:15 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Hats off to you for working to make it happen. If hunting becomes a big part of your life, by the time you're 21 you will have met a lot of like minded people that are into hunting and your contacts will be 10x what they are now. When I meet someone, within a short time they know I hunt, and sometimes it has lead to a contact. Stay active on this forum and other places where you can meet hunters. Go to gun shows, hunting events at convention centers, etc......

You may already be doing this, but in your letters, offer to work in exchange for the opportunity to hunt. Last time I was at my place our ranchers grand sons were stretching wire, repairing gaps and driving posts. Sounds like you'd enjoy that type of activity as well.

Good Luck

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329578 07/23/21 07:35 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I think you’re on the right track. I would suggest stopping by in person after you send the letter and sell yourself as a responsible young man that will trade chores for hunting rights.

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329582 07/23/21 07:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
welcome to THF. Texas is 97% private land and of the 97% the vast majority is leased for the income from hunting or the hunting is done by family...the rest of it is not hunted due to the landowners not allowing any hunting. I venture to guess that of those 45 letters you sent that majority will have been leased already and the rest will be hunting by family only in central Texas. Texas is a different mind set today than it was many years ago as far as hunting. Places are smaller now and new owners compared to 50 yrs ago. The vast majority are going to be reluctant to allow someone to hunt from a letter, much less never having met you. Even though you may have been taught how to handle a rifle and hunt, many will not know that from a letter or even meeting you in person. Trust is a huge factor these days in a sue happy world. Like posted above offer to help them out or even day work for them on weekends to gain that trust, don't ask to hunt until they know you.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329591 07/23/21 07:51 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
What do you have to offer the landowners in return for hunting rights?

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: ChrisB] #8329926 07/24/21 02:16 AM
T
TheHeadTurkey Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I offered manual labor in all my letters but the people who gave me permission are a hunting family and they didnt ask for anything in return. The person who showed me around the property before I hunted it was actually a game warden! He was the son of the people who owned the property.

Last edited by TheHeadTurkey; 07/24/21 02:16 AM.
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8329927 07/24/21 02:19 AM
T
TheHeadTurkey Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330036 07/24/21 08:19 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You’ve gotten some good advice. And, sweat offers never hurt.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330232 07/24/21 03:44 PM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
I like what you're doing...however, today landowners worry about law suites. So, I suggest looking on line for hunters insurance. This also shows responsibility. The only thing I don't know if hunters insurance issues plans for someone under 21...but if you could workout something with your parents to buy an insurance for you might work. This is a calling card that goes a long way. Be prepared to pay a lot of money..leases not cheap. Just working for the owner may not be enough.

Determination will get ya lease....respect the owners and their land....showing appreciation shows character...Respect wildlife always pays off...manners shows goodness ...Safety First....with all this... life will pay ya dividends even if ya don't get a lease ...keep trying.
Good Luck

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330253 07/24/21 04:09 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
It might help you if you post where you are in Central Texas. (closest town) There may be someone local on here or know of someone in your area that might give you an opportunity to prove yourself and a chance to hunt.

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330597 07/25/21 12:33 AM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
If I was in your shoes, I would try and get a Summer job at the local feed store.
It seems that most of the local ranchers start their days there drinking coffee or picking up feed and supplies.
Once you get to know them and they know you, offer your labor for hunts up

And welcome to the forum

[Linked Image]
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330621 07/25/21 01:15 AM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Great advice above. The take away is you have a better chance of getting to hunt a place if the landowner knows you before you are turned loose to hunt. The challenge for you is to figure out a way to get acquainted before hunting. Hard work and sweat equity can pay dividends.

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330625 07/25/21 01:19 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Joining school FFA club is a good way to network with folks often knowledgeable in the "country" manner of life and you may come across some young ranchmen or ranchladies, whatever suits your fancy.

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330633 07/25/21 01:32 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Ask for permission to hunt does, don't even mention bucks or antlers. One thing I would do if I was you is ask the game warden you already met if there is a landowner that wants to remove some does. Game Wardens can be a really good source of info.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330810 07/25/21 01:34 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
It wasn’t my motive but when I was younger I got access to a lot of land by doing work for people. When I was in high school I helped people haul hay, work cattle, fix fences, etc and several offered hunting to me.

Re: Best way to get deer hunting permission? [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8331734 07/26/21 03:19 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Welcome to our forum. I just breezed through this and dont have time for a long reply but you seem to have gotten some real good advice. As others have said, hunting is big business in Texas so it will probably be difficult to find something for free. You seem smart and determined, so stay at it. Good luck.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide