Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: Sewer rat] #8327935 07/22/21 11:50 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have 6 sets on a little over 1200. During the season, all the decent bucks come to the one that's 600 yards from the front porch of the house. bang

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: Sewer rat] #8327964 07/22/21 12:28 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I have 7 feeders on 5 acres.

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: stxranchman] #8327971 07/22/21 12:33 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
I hunt by myself on 1500 acres. I used to have 5 stands and 5 feeders. Since I hunt alone I cut it to 1 corn feeder and one protein feeder. It was a pain to try and guess which feeder the deer were going to hit during my sit. After a cutting down on the feeders slowly the deer have seemed to show up where I hunt. Multiple herds overlap now.

NICE!

But man I think I'd at least have 2 spots with stands and a couple feeders at each location depending of course of the layout of the property just to give me more options to look at and also for 'playing the wind'.

Not me, I would have one blind with 4 feeders. Placing one in each direction so that I could hunt the sunrise/sunset and no matter what the wind direction was that day....of course with my head on a swivel trying to hunt each feeder it might look like that scene from the Exorcist.

Too many options is like too many pockets. Takes to long to find what you're looking for, specially if you have a lot of junk. roflmao

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: hook_n_line] #8327986 07/22/21 12:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I hunt by myself on 1500 acres. I used to have 5 stands and 5 feeders. Since I hunt alone I cut it to 1 corn feeder and one protein feeder. It was a pain to try and guess which feeder the deer were going to hit during my sit. After a cutting down on the feeders slowly the deer have seemed to show up where I hunt. Multiple herds overlap now.

NICE!

But man I think I'd at least have 2 spots with stands and a couple feeders at each location depending of course of the layout of the property just to give me more options to look at and also for 'playing the wind'.

Not me, I would have one blind with 4 feeders. Placing one in each direction so that I could hunt the sunrise/sunset and no matter what the wind direction was that day....of course with my head on a swivel trying to hunt each feeder it might look like that scene from the Exorcist.

Too many options is like too many pockets. Takes to long to find what you're looking for, specially if you have a lot of junk. roflmao

A Dominate buck isn't always the biggest deer yet he may control that feeder location.

Multiple feeders(corn or protein) alleviates that hierarchy issue to a greater degree then not.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: stxranchman] #8328017 07/22/21 01:22 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

NICE!

up up up

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8328021 07/22/21 01:25 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Too many options is like too many pockets. Takes to long to find what you're looking for, specially if you have a lot of junk. roflmao[/quote]

A Dominate buck isn't always the biggest deer yet he may control that feeder location.

Multiple feeders(corn or protein) alleviates that hierarchy issue to a greater degree then not.
[/quote]

It doesn't matter during the rut. Challengers are welcome.

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: hook_n_line] #8328022 07/22/21 01:26 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I don't like my junk contained, but, I don't have what you'd call "a lot." grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8328023 07/22/21 01:27 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I completely agree

I feel the same way about protein stations.
Best place I ever helped out on had nearly 40 protein feeders on 3,000 acres. Open troughs kept heaping full from Jan 1 through September. Deer didn't have to travel over 1/4 mile basically to jump into a 50'x50' feed station. All these feeder pens were off the roads and cut into the brush 20-40 yards so that you couldn't even see them while driving by.
I feel having lots of protein stations is much more important than corn feeders to allow all the deer to get what they want/need, not just the dominant bucks and does.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: Sewer rat] #8328030 07/22/21 01:32 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Just keep the roads corned.

[Linked Image]

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: hook_n_line] #8328048 07/22/21 01:41 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Just keep the roads corned.

I agree sir

But kinda hard to corn roads during the week from many miles away. lol

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: Sewer rat] #8328050 07/22/21 01:41 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I feel blessed to hunt about 500-600 acres and draw from an even larger area. Two blind set ups with two feeders at each one. Of course, I can go anywhere in the Toyo and hunt out of it.

My southern (bottom on 1st photo) and western (left on 1st photo) boundaries are HF. The northern and eastern boundaries flow into other pastures on our lease. In both of those bordering leased pastures, each hunter has two blind set ups with multiple feeders at each. They each hunt similar sized areas. Note - no oil activity there in the middle of the Eagleford.
[Linked Image]

Primary stand
[Linked Image]
Secondary
[Linked Image]

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: Creekrunner] #8328777 07/22/21 10:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I have 6 sets on a little over 1200. During the season, all the decent bucks come to the one that's 600 yards from the front porch of the house. bang

They know the end result is gonna be the same, so why make it difficult on either of you?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Too many feeders? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8329042 07/23/21 06:57 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Best place I ever helped out on had nearly 40 protein feeders on 3,000 acres.

eek2 $$$$

Best place I ever helped out on had 0 protein feeders on 6,000 acres. Just ran 11 corn feeders and food plots year round. Some mighty fine deer on that place too.

They may be running protein feeders nowadays. Very few people fed protein back then, it's certainly a LOT more common now.

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: Hudbone] #8329217 07/23/21 01:30 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I feel blessed to hunt about 500-600 acres and draw from an even larger area. Two blind set ups with two feeders at each one. Of course, I can go anywhere in the Toyo and hunt out of it.

My southern (bottom on 1st photo) and western (left on 1st photo) boundaries are HF. The northern and eastern boundaries flow into other pastures on our lease. In both of those bordering leased pastures, each hunter has two blind set ups with multiple feeders at each. They each hunt similar sized areas. Note - no oil activity there in the middle of the Eagleford.

You are indeed compadre. Great place and sounds like you guys have a great group and landowner as well which makes it all that much better.
Put me on the list (which I'm sure is long) for a spot if one opens before I'm either too old or dead. lol

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8329230 07/23/21 01:43 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hudbone

You are indeed compadre. Great place and sounds like you guys have a great group and landowner as well which makes it all that much better.
Put me on the list (which I'm sure is long) for a spot if one opens before I'm either too old or dead. lol

Put me right behind ILBB's.

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: skinnerback] #8329231 07/23/21 01:43 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by skinnerback

eek2 $$$$

Best place I ever helped out on had 0 protein feeders on 6,000 acres. Just ran 11 corn feeders and food plots year round. Some mighty fine deer on that place too.

They may be running protein feeders nowadays. Very few people fed protein back then, it's certainly a LOT more common now.

No doubt about it sb! In an average rainfall year we fed 50-60 tons. In the worst years with little rainfall it would soar to 100 tons. All feed went into long, open troughs that were uncovered! eek2
Yeah....there were times that it would rain and literally ruin several tons of feed but the owner didn't care about the wasted feed or $$$.

The place was 100% native S TX deer and absolutely covered up with them.....last count was over 300 out of a chopper but studies have shown that those counts can be off by up to 65% meaning there could have been as many as 600+ on it which I firmly believe there was. And the buck to doe ratio was better than 1 to 1 on it with a very, very balanced age structure within the herd. An average sit before the rut would be about 15 bucks and 15 does & fawns and it was not at all uncommon to have 3-4 bucks over 150" out at the same time......sometimes several more and much bigger than that.

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8329232 07/23/21 01:45 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by skinnerback

eek2 $$$$

No doubt about it sb! In an average rainfall year we fed 50-60 tons. In the worst years with little rainfall it would soar to 100 tons. All feed went into long, open troughs that were uncovered! eek2
Yeah....there were times that it would rain and literally ruin several tons of feed but the owner didn't care about the wasted feed or $$$.

The place was 100% native S TX deer and absolutely covered up with them.....last count was over 300 out of a chopper but studies have shown that those counts can be off by up to 65% meaning there could have been as many as 600+ on it which I firmly believe there was. And the buck to doe ratio was better than 1 to 1 on it with a very, very balanced age structure within the herd. An average sit before the rut would be about 15 bucks and 15 does & fawns and it was not at all uncommon to have 3-4 bucks over 150" out at the same time......sometimes several more and much bigger than that.

WOW

Re: Too many feeders? [Re: Sewer rat] #8329275 07/23/21 02:30 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I hunt on about 200 acres and had two feeders until a neighbor started hunting a 30 acre strip next to ours and put up at least 4 feeders that I know of just from hearing them go off.
I quit feeding on our place and just corn the pipeline and roads and see just as many deer as before when I fed using a feeder.
My feed bill went way down! happy3

Last edited by Jimbo; 07/23/21 02:33 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide