Print Thread
New to Shotgun Shell Reloading #8327569 07/21/21 10:32 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
A friend that knows I reload metallic cartridges asked me for resources to learn to reload for shotgun. I don't have any specific knowledge of the arena. What resources can I point him to? He would be starting from Step 0. What's a ballpark price for equipment to get up and running? He's a low volume [clays] shooter (he may go to a clays course 5 - 10 times a year). Yes, he knows this is a bad time to start. No, it's not an economic thing for him.

Thanks.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: New to Shotgun Shell Reloading [Re: Mickey Moose] #8327583 07/21/21 10:51 PM
C
Cajun_in_Texas Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
C
I’m just starting shotshell recently and have been loading rifle and pistol for 10 years.

First recommendation is get the Lyman 5th edition shotshell loading guide. MEC has a good guide also.
Go basic ... MEC 600 Mk V Jr makes nice shells. Used is fine also long as not too many missing parts.

Use your metallic scale, don’t trust charts and bushings.

Follow published load data without substitution.

Pick a hull type and stick with that one. Win AA HS are pretty good from what I have seen.
Use what powder and primers are available and are in the load data. Hodgdon, Alliant and others have very comprehensive load data for free.

Wads effect the stack height and crimp quality. Google is your friend locating good loads with good crimp quality.
Learn to adjust the pre crimp and taper crimp die, this takes some trial and error. Plunk test them in your chamber.

Go shoot and have fun!

Cajun in Tx

Cajun in Texas
Re: New to Shotgun Shell Reloading [Re: Mickey Moose] #8327617 07/21/21 11:39 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Unlike rifle, shot shell loading can be very forgiving…..both powder and shot are very basic volumetric measurements with no real need for precision (with the exception of max shot weight in registered shoots) so no need for fancy scales, etc. Use a beam scale to check powder and shot drop with correct bushing then leave it alone. Don’t fall for ‘faster is better’ with certain game in mind, find a shot speed that works for you and stick with it for everything. Like said above, stick with published data as it’s the easiest way.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: New to Shotgun Shell Reloading [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #8328363 07/22/21 04:59 PM
T
TLoving Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted by Cajun_in_Texas
I’m just starting shotshell recently and have been loading rifle and pistol for 10 years.

First recommendation is get the Lyman 5th edition shotshell loading guide. MEC has a good guide also.
Go basic ... MEC 600 Mk V Jr makes nice shells. Used is fine also long as not too many missing parts.

Use your metallic scale, don’t trust charts and bushings.

Follow published load data without substitution.

Pick a hull type and stick with that one. Win AA HS are pretty good from what I have seen.
Use what powder and primers are available and are in the load data. Hodgdon, Alliant and others have very comprehensive load data for free.

Wads effect the stack height and crimp quality. Google is your friend locating good loads with good crimp quality.
Learn to adjust the pre crimp and taper crimp die, this takes some trial and error. Plunk test them in your chamber.

Go shoot and have fun!

Cajun in Tx

Cajun in Texas had lots of good advice. Following the recipes published by the powder companies, never substitute, and never trust a bushing chart are words to live by in shotgun reloading.

MEC makes some good serviceable reloading units. I have been reloading on the same MEC Sizemaster since 1980. If you purchase a used MEC unit then MEC for a fee will rebuild and replace parts as needed to bring the machine to virtually like new condition.

Some ranges allow shooters to dumpster dive for hulls. I collect Remington and Winchester hulls for my personal use. These hulls are not interchangeable so be sure to consult the data for the correct recipe.

Once your friend finds a load and recipe he likes try to by powder by the keg. This will help save significant money over purchasing powder 1 pound at a time.

If your friend also reloads pistols some shotgun powders can be used to reload some pistol cartridges as well. Always consult the published data for correct load information.

Luck favors the prepared mind.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide