Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,743
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: The Dude Abides] #8313709 07/06/21 02:26 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by Texgun
Please let me explain why I asked the question in the first place. My mother and father in law are in their eighties and don't like guns. I have a LTC but don't carry a gun into their home. Would I be correct in telling them that unless they post a 30:06 and a 30:07 sign in their home then a license holder can carry in their home without asking permission?
I'd also like to show it to them in the Texas law book if you could tell me where to find it.
Thanks.

Carry concealed and keep quiet about guns. Since they don't like guns the topic will probably not even come up. If they see you carrying in their home and they ask you to remove the gun from this home then comply without delay.

Technically, Texgun, you would be correct. If they don't post a sign, and if they don't verbally communicate no firearms, then yes, someone who is invited into their home can carry a legally concealed firearm. But why give them the information? What they don't know won't hurt them, and could probably make them safer.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: flintknapper] #8313736 07/06/21 03:03 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by flintknapper
[quote=Dave Davidson]If somebody came to my house carrying a firearm, and I did not like it, I would ask them to leave. Just that simple.

Yep, agreed.

I've been carrying since 1996 and encourage anyone that wants to....to do so. I'm not a 'carry 24/7' person and don't have a pistol in my shower. If you live in an area that requires that for your safety, save your money and move. But that's a different argument.

Do you really think that criminals go to the poorest and most unsafe part of town to commit burglary or worse? Well they don't, they drive around nice neighborhoods of working folks that have nice things. Having a weapon and not carrying, is like waiting for a fire to happen before you buy a fire extinguisher.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8313903 07/06/21 07:19 PM
T
Texgun Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Thank you for all of your help.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8313942 07/06/21 07:51 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
If my In-Laws communicated to me that they did not want a gun in their home, I would not bring a gun into their home out of respect. That is their castle. No brainer.

If my In-Laws didn't want a gun in their home, I wouldn't come into their home.

If my wife threw a fit about this kind of situation.....well, don't ever take marital advice from me.

You do what you think is the right thing to do for you and your family.

As far as me and my house, we will be armed and I expect that any Son In Law of mine would do the same.

Don't be a DB about it, keep it concealed.

Don't bring the subject up. Unless your In Laws are cool, then hell yeh...

grin

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8314680 07/07/21 03:44 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Well if you just got a new carry pistol, you've got to show it to someone!!!!!

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: MikeC] #8314699 07/07/21 04:08 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by MikeC

Well if you just got a new carry pistol, you've got to show it to someone!!!!!

LOL. I just bought a new carry pistol for my DIL. She understands, keep it put away and act like a regular person.

At my house, there's always gun stuff going on. up Pull that sucker out.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8315365 07/08/21 12:02 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Good points from both sides; but, I do not carry into a person's home out of respect for their home.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8318527 07/12/21 10:19 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Please let me explain why I asked the question in the first place. My mother and father in law are in their eighties and don't like guns. I have a LTC but don't carry a gun into their home. Would I be correct in telling them that unless they post a 30:06 and a 30:07 sign in their home then a license holder can carry in their home without asking permission?
I'd also like to show it to them in the Texas law book if you could tell me where to find it.
Thanks.

Why is this an issue? I assume you are ok not carrying at their house because of their wishes. Who all is going to their home? Why do you want to help them unarm others? I seriously doubt people are open carrying to their house and if they are carrying concealed I doubt they would ever know. Unless they brought this up and asked you for guidance it seems like you are just going to give them something to worry about. Not that you are going to change their views at age 80 but tell them rest assured if someone with a gun intends to harm them you are sure they will see their no gun sign and stop and leave.

Here is a link to the laws. https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/carry-of-firearms

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8318601 07/12/21 12:38 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks.

OK they're in their 80's,they don't like guns, they're your in-laws and it's their house, do you think shoving a law in their face is going to improve the relationship or worsen it? I'm trying to understand why you would even want to carry in their house knowing the above.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: HWY_MAN] #8318873 07/12/21 05:06 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Thanks.

OK they're in their 80's,they don't like guns, they're your in-laws and it's their house, do you think shoving a law in their face is going to improve the relationship or worsen it? I'm trying to understand why you would even want to carry in their house knowing the above.

I'm trying to understand why it's even an issue. Carry concealed and keep your mouth shut.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: The Dude Abides] #8318951 07/12/21 06:53 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks.

I'm trying to understand why it's even an issue. Carry concealed and keep your mouth shut.

If I didn't know their feelings I would stick to this plan and everyone would be blissfully ignorant. If I knew their feelings in advance I would not carry in their house to respect their wishes. If I'm carrying concealed I don't think I would feel the need to ask the question.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Grizz] #8318976 07/12/21 07:17 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Grizz
Thanks.

If I'm carrying concealed I don't think I would feel the need to ask the question.

Exactly!!!

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Grizz] #8318982 07/12/21 07:23 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Grizz
Thanks.

If I didn't know their feelings I would stick to this plan and everyone would be blissfully ignorant. If I knew their feelings in advance I would not carry in their house to respect their wishes. If I'm carrying concealed I don't think I would feel the need to ask the question.

I think ya'll are reading it wrong. He is not wanting to carry in their home. He is wanting to point out to them that if they do not have it posted or verbally tell anyone coming into their home that they can not carry, then it will be legal for say, the plumber to carry when he comes to fix their plumbing.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8319065 07/12/21 09:07 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
A man's home is his castle. You enter as his guess and abide by his rules or leave. IMHO. To me the right to carry is in public places. I'm one of those few individuals that still thinks a business is sort of a man's castle, if a business doesn't want guns in their store- their right, just as it is your right to go shop someplace else. What I am saying is the Federal government claims they have a right to make rules on how a store operates. Where in the constitution do they get that right? The Federal government claims a customer from out of state may enter the store and the store sells goods made in other states so it is "Interstate Commerce". NONSENSE, interstate commerce is one business dealing with another business in another state, period. Other wise there is no such thing as intra state and interstate commerce.
Can a town have a public carry ordinance? The old west did in a lot of places. I DON'T KNOW. I'd argue that prior to the Constitution if such existed here or there, then maybe it got grandfathered in.
And...there was a recent TV episode of "Blue Bloods" The law enforcement officers see a gun on the seat of a car and yell "GUN!!!!" Arrest the perps, whole 9 yards. Man I'm I ever a dinosaur. Remember when it was okay to have a gun rack in the back window of your pick up truck? No body had a nervous breakdown.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Dave Scott] #8319078 07/12/21 09:26 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
A man's home is his castle. You enter as his guess and abide by his rules or leave. IMHO.

No one would ever know I'm carrying a gun. You going to frisk me before I enter? You going to question me to the third degree prior to entry? I do not carry where its prohibited or posted.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8319396 07/13/21 04:20 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
I look at peoples houses for a living and do a decent job depending on who you ask. I carry into every house I go to. I have 5 tomorrow. If i am out of the house I am carrying. Like a mask if they see it, yes I will leave but I have only flashed it once when the shirt got hung on an attic hinge. He said nothing and neither did I. I will put it in the truck for confidental owners IE Sherriffs dept and DPMS. Those guys are always cool.

[Linked Image]
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: unclebubba] #8319428 07/13/21 08:20 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by unclebubba
I think ya'll are reading it wrong. He is not wanting to carry in their home. He is wanting to point out to them that if they do not have it posted or verbally tell anyone coming into their home that they can not carry, then it will be legal for say, the plumber to carry when he comes to fix their plumbing.

That is how I take his post as well but my point is why does he care? Does he want to give the elderly in-laws something to worry about? Does he want them to post their front door potentially alerting criminals that it is a gun free home? Does he think a lawfully carrying plumber is a threat to them?

I get it his in-laws don’t like guns. I don’t see what potential benefit there is to anyone even bringing this subject up with them.

If OP wants to respect their wishes and not carry at their home fine he should do that. I 100% am for private property rights by the way and if someone wants to ban guns, males, females, blondes, brunettes, Christians, atheists, straight people, gay people, whatever from their home that is their right. I am just saying I don’t see the benefit to getting elderly people worked up over something like this. If they were to notice someone carrying at their home (highly unlikely) they could simply tell them to leave or not to. He doesn’t need to educate them on the nuances of posting signage at their home.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8319603 07/13/21 02:10 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I guess if you are a service type person whose job takes you into people's homes and the weapon is out of sight and the owners say nothing- that's okay. If they see the weapon and then object, their wishes should rule.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Dave Scott] #8319683 07/13/21 03:23 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
If they see the weapon and then object, their wishes should rule.

Absolutely and do NOT become rude or combative with them either.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide