Print Thread
Lightning detector #8319151 07/12/21 10:59 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I’ve had a couple of close calls with lightning and now that I’m living on my ranch I decided to give one of these a try. Pretty accurate for a 30 dollar piece of equipment.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Lightning detector [Re: ntxtrapper] #8319298 07/13/21 01:25 AM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
When I get a strike close to the house my ground fault breakers will sometimes trip. eek2

There's an old oak in the back yard that gets hit pretty regular and a lot of iron ore rock in the soil. One morning there were big charred chunks of oak on the front porch that were blown off of another one about 75 feet away.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Lightning detector [Re: ntxtrapper] #8319309 07/13/21 01:33 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Does it detect prior to a strike or immediately after a strike? I have lost tv, vcr, telephones, water well controls/pumps and other electronics in homes on 3 different ranches that took a direct hit...also had the same live oak tree 20' from my front door hit twice at another location over the last 30 years.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Lightning detector [Re: stxranchman] #8319373 07/13/21 03:29 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Does it detect prior to a strike or immediately after a strike? I have lost tv, vcr, telephones, water well controls/pumps and other electronics in homes on 3 different ranches that took a direct hit...also had the same live oak tree 20' from my front door hit twice at another location over the last 30 years.

I truly don't know as I've only had it a couple of days. The small storm last night made it beep and the first reading was from 12 miles away. It steadily continued showing strikes and the distance getting closer until I cleared the history, let it run for about 2 minutes and then took that pic. It is supposed to have a 25 mile range but last night it started at 12 but that may have been because it was inside my ranch house. It was a nice early warning though that a storm was in the area.

Re: Lightning detector [Re: ntxtrapper] #8319375 07/13/21 03:32 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I truly don't know as I've only had it a couple of days. The small storm last night made it beep and the first reading was from 12 miles away. It steadily continued showing strikes and the distance getting closer until I cleared the history, let it run for about 2 minutes and then took that pic. It is supposed to have a 25 mile range but last night it started at 12 but that may have been because it was inside my ranch house. It was a nice early warning though that a storm was in the area.

They detect after a strike. We use them here at work as well.

Re: Lightning detector [Re: skinnerback] #8319382 07/13/21 03:42 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by skinnerback

I was just surprised something so cheap actually worked as well as did. I saw some more expensive ones in the 70-80 dollar range, but it appears being a cheapo may have paid off this time LOL.

Re: Lightning detector [Re: ntxtrapper] #8319384 07/13/21 03:43 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by skinnerback

I was just surprised something so cheap actually worked as well as did. I saw some more expensive ones in the 70-80 dollar range, but it appears being a cheapo may have paid off this time LOL.

Every once in a while it does. grin

Re: Lightning detector [Re: ntxtrapper] #8320084 07/13/21 09:41 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Neither here nor there, but this reminds me as a kid - we always had an AM radio on in the house and we knew when there was lightning in the region. Those old AM radios could detect lightning (static) at great distances!

Re: Lightning detector [Re: driedmeat] #8320331 07/14/21 12:45 AM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by driedmeat
Neither here nor there, but this reminds me as a kid - we always had an AM radio on in the house and we knew when there was lightning in the region. Those old AM radios could detect lightning (static) at great distances!

I have several miles of high tensile electric fence for cross fencing. The AM radio is a big help in finding a short fast.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide