Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Best Veterans Hunting Organization? #8319108 07/12/21 09:57 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Any landowners on here ever hosted a Veterans' hunt? How was it and which one, in your opinion, is the best run/organized outfit? 'Just read an article about one in Lone Star Outdoor News and I've had some contact with another one. The second one only seems to be about donations as I never heard back from them about the possibility of a hunt on my place. I want to support our warriors, but I have little patience with inefficiency, or, down-right not having your act together as far as a "foundation". Feel free to PM. Thanks.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: Creekrunner] #8319289 07/13/21 01:14 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
HWY-MAN has hosted a few veterans, but that was years ago. I have also had a few to our place. Kind of depends on how many and who you want to chose the ones you want to hunt on your place. There is a list of veterans in the Off Topic section, you could pick and choose from there.

I personally got a sour attitude about some of the 501c3 organizations, too many are "empire" builders with too many of the top tier benefitting from the organization. I chose the people based on the ones I knew, knowing that they would appreciate the opportunity and that I would enjoy their company for the weekend.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: Creekrunner] #8319311 07/13/21 01:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
We had an individual bring a couple of guys to host hunts for. He offered to pay and raised money to pay for hunts but we did the hunts for free. This was 13 yrs ago now and not sure if he still does these hunts. Both hunts were humbling to me and the landowner.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: Creekrunner] #8319348 07/13/21 02:55 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Any landowners on here ever hosted a Veterans' hunt? How was it and which one, in your opinion, is the best run/organized outfit? 'Just read an article about one in Lone Star Outdoor News and I've had some contact with another one. The second one only seems to be about donations as I never heard back from them about the possibility of a hunt on my place. I want to support our warriors, but I have little patience with inefficiency, or, down-right not having your act together as far as a "foundation". Feel free to PM. Thanks.

I've done around a couple of dozen and here's my recommendation. Do not get involved with any organization! If this is what you want to do then do it alone, this way you choose who hunts and doesn't. The first VET hunt I did was with an organization and it didn't go well. It turned out the admins of the organization were the ones who were going to hunt so I shut it down. Instead I offered the hunt to Vet's who were members here on the forum and we had a great time. Since then all my hunts have been Vet's here on the forum or Vet's that were suggested by members on the forum. I never asked for donation of any kind nor would I accept them, I do it on my own, this way I'm not obligated to anyone nor have to explain myself to anyone. I know it sounds a little bitter but that first hunt left a foul taste in my mouth. We've probably got a few thousand Vet's here on the forum and I barely touched it, it's a great place to start. While your at it don't forget our LEO's, I've done several of those hunt's also, they need all the support they can get, especially now.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 07/13/21 03:08 AM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: Creekrunner] #8319507 07/13/21 12:19 PM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
Thank you for trying to help Vets. Getting some off here is a good idea. Also you might think about the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It's a great program for our youth and future hunters.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: Creekrunner] #8319614 07/13/21 02:17 PM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
I agree with avoiding the organizations. Most organizations to me seem to benefit those running it more than whatever cause they are trying to help. Not exactly related but take the NRA, they want us average everyday folks to send in all the money we can for the cause and yet they are paying Wayne Lapierre five million a year. If I gave the NRA $500 a year for 25 years it wouldn’t cover one day of Wayne’s salary.

Maybe go down to the local VFW and ask around. Be careful as well. PTSD is real and some people are very unstable. Chris Kyle was trying to help other vets and took one shooting and got killed for it. I have the utmost respect for vets and think society should help them as much as possible but some of them have serious and dangerous issues from the horrors they experienced.

Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: upsslim] #8319638 07/13/21 02:36 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thanks guys. Yeah, the vetting for fairly stable folks is what I was hoping for through an organization. I think all organizations have their idiosyncrasies, but some staff can get out of control. My wife serves on a women shelter's board, and it's frustrating to say the least.

I have no idea how to relate to what some of these soldiers have been through, but I don't want to expose my dream place to someone who really needs another form of treatment first, before venturing out on something like this.

Originally Posted by upsslim
Also you might think about the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It's a great program for our youth and future hunters.

'Got one of those set up for youth weekend. I'm impressed so far by the staff, the visit, and the set up.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: Creekrunner] #8320210 07/13/21 11:10 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I hunted with Hunting With Soldiers many yrs ago right before my 2nd deployment. When I reached out to them I had no idea it would be a free hunt I figured maybe discounted or something. I showed up and they gave me a place to stay in a small house across from the guy who runs it, they paid for all my meals and I ended up shooting a really nice 8 point for my first ever buck. They have never asked for a dime from me but I donated a few rustic coolers to them to auction off. They do lots of hunts and verify the people hunting are combat veterans. Sometimes they do work hunts where they will get a group of guys to help on people’s land and in exchange they get to hog hunt and fish.

Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: SapperTitan] #8320221 07/13/21 11:21 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I hunted with Hunting With Soldiers many yrs ago right before my 2nd deployment. When I reached out to them I had no idea it would be a free hunt I figured maybe discounted or something. I showed up and they gave me a place to stay in a small house across from the guy who runs it, they paid for all my meals and I ended up shooting a really nice 8 point for my first ever buck. They have never asked for a dime from me but I donated a few rustic coolers to them to auction off. They do lots of hunts and verify the people hunting are combat veterans. Sometimes they do work hunts where they will get a group of guys to help on people’s land and in exchange they get to hog hunt and fish.

up Website saved. 100% volunteer means a lot.

Re: Best Veterans Hunting Organization? [Re: Creekrunner] #8320238 07/13/21 11:36 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

up Website saved. 100% volunteer means a lot.

Tagging this for later.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide