Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,241
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? #8317286 07/10/21 04:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've been seriously considering getting a cellular game camera and have noticed most if not all of them have an external antenna. I get very spotty cellular reception at the area where I hunt in East Texas, but was thinking a device with an external antenna might get better reception.

Anyone noticed if their cellular camera gets better reception than their cell phone?

TIA

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8317399 07/10/21 08:23 PM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Mine usually does. You can also buy a cabled antenna and place it higher up the tree for better reception if you need it. They are relatively inexpensive on Amazon.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: JCO] #8317414 07/10/21 08:37 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by JCO
Mine usually does. You can also buy a cabled antenna and place it higher up the tree for better reception if you need it. They are relatively inexpensive on Amazon.

That or buy an extension cable and move the existing antenna higher if that will pull in enough signal. But if it’s real spotty, an elevated directional antenna will have more gain, like the outdoor TV antennas with the V-shape.

Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8317541 07/10/21 11:51 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
My cell cam gets better reception with the built-in antenna than my phone as well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8317556 07/11/21 12:15 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Anybody have the amazon link

Buy the plan that works best in the area you’re hunting

Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8317756 07/11/21 05:49 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
My covert cell cam definitely gets better reception than my phone. I am just using the included factory antennas. I ordered several of the cameras and then went to set them up. I have one feeder down in a draw and once I got there I realized no cell service on my phone. I already had the camera so I figured oh well I just have to check the card. To my surprise it sends pictures without fail and has for months. I have been there dozens of times filling the feeder, picking up shot hogs, etc and have never been able to get service on my phone but the camera sends pictures every day.

I don’t think they can work miracles though if you truly have no service in an area. In my scenario if I go 100 yards away and fifty feet up in elevation on top of the hill my cell phone works fine.

Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Sewer rat] #8318188 07/11/21 09:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I don’t think they can work miracles though if you truly have no service in an area. In my scenario if I go 100 yards away and fifty feet up in elevation on top of the hill my cell phone works fine.

Thanks again for all the replies.

I get good coverage at the highest point on my lease, but very little in the lowest areas, which is probably a drop of no more than 20 or 30 feet. These are the areas with the greatest deer and hog activity. Based on the comments shared I think it's definitely worth a try. I'm thinking an external antenna at mounted about 10 feet should work as a fall back.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/11/21 09:52 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8318234 07/11/21 10:49 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Sewer rat

Thanks again for all the replies.

I get good coverage at the highest point on my lease, but very little in the lowest areas, which is probably a drop of no more than 20 or 30 feet. These are the areas with the greatest deer and hog activity. Based on the comments shared I think it's definitely worth a try. I'm thinking an external antenna at mounted about 10 feet should work as a fall back.

Find out which cell carrier has the best reception. At our lease, ATT is also a no-go in the lower areas and around camp. But Verizon has decent signal even in the low areas so I made sure to buy Verizon network cameras despite the fact that my cell phone is on a different carrier. Your cell plan will be handled by the camera manufacturer so it doesn’t have to be the same as your phone provider.

Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8318641 07/12/21 01:14 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I've been seriously considering getting a cellular game camera and have noticed most if not all of them have an external antenna. I get very spotty cellular reception at the area where I hunt in East Texas, but was thinking a device with an external antenna might get better reception.

Anyone noticed if their cellular camera gets better reception than their cell phone?

TIA

If your phone will send a text message from the spot you want to place a camera...it will definitely send pictures from that spot.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8318818 07/12/21 04:10 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
For you guys using cell cams - do you have them mounted on trees or on posts in more open areas? I've been thinking about getting one on the Verizon network since they get great reception all over the ranch. My concern is where I have my current camera (on a tree) is the spot I would want to put it, but I wonder if all of the limbs and leaves above it would block the reception.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Texas Dan] #8318827 07/12/21 04:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have a SpyPoint Cell-Link that I just add to my existing cameras I already own...since I owned so many cams now. I pick the cam that it works best in and takes the best pics. My best camera is a 9 yr old Primos Truth cam but it has a bottom SD slot that is exposed to the weather and when it rains a lot it shuts the camera down. I just bought another Cell-Link on from Academy in mid June and it was $43 with tax and free shipping. I buy the Nationwide Cell Plan models and the two I have both work great. They get a better signal than my cell phone does with AT&T. If I have 25% cell signal they still work and transmit photos....you just need to adjust your number of send times. I mount the Cell-Link above my trail cams since it has about an 18" cable that connects the Cell-Link to the trail via via an SD card adapter. It uses a micro-SD card. The locations I use these cams is located in the Hill Country and about 15 miles from the closest town with a lot of elevation changes and not close to any major highway. If they go to 0% signal in bad weather then it will not work but they will usually work again shortly. They offer a long range antenna for $48 if needed. Battery life is good so far on the units sending pics every 2 hrs. I have one that has sent 3243 pics in the last 26 days and is still at 81% battery life using cheap Rayvac Alkaline AA's. They offer a rechargeable battery pack/solar panel no their website.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Do cellular cameras have better reception than cell phones? [Re: Grizz] #8318943 07/12/21 06:46 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Grizz
For you guys using cell cams - do you have them mounted on trees or on posts in more open areas? I've been thinking about getting one on the Verizon network since they get great reception all over the ranch. My concern is where I have my current camera (on a tree) is the spot I would want to put it, but I wonder if all of the limbs and leaves above it would block the reception.

I use a 5 gal bucket and 1/2 of a landscape timer. I mix 1/2 of a 60 lb bag concrete and put the post in the bucket and pour in the concrete. It makes a 4' tall camera stand that you can mount the camera and solar panel to easily and allows you to move it and set it up in different spots in seconds.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide