Print Thread
Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) #8312179 07/04/21 03:36 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Friday nights have been productive lately and this one was no exception. This boar came in at dusk, and due to the wind I was 150 yards out at camera 3 o'clock. This guy came in and out of the trees, always from a different spot, checking the air. He had circled camera left and was was walking towards me from the left halfway between the camera and shed. He stopped, quartered to my right at about 15 degrees, staring right at me. Felt good about the shot, using new 175 gr. BtHP running north of 2900 fps MV. Down he went, doing the funky chicken. The grass is tall so he was hard to see. He then got up and rapidly did a series of large circles and crazy eights
Finally stopped and I fired a second round (168 gr HP). Up he went, more circles, and off into the trees. No blood anywhere. Went back yesterday and zero blood and zero sign.

The best thing I can figure is I am zeroed at 100 yards with 150 gr, and the shot was about 140 yards and I suspect it went a tad low, blew out his right shoulder (clockwise circles), and embedded high in the chest cavity somewhere. No doubt he's dead, but I really wanted to see how that bullet fared.

Too bad since this boar was the second of two and being the only regulars in 3 weeks. There are 6 very small shoats (30 pounds) showing up occasionally on camera, and curiously no adults with them. I've succeeded in ridding the property of hogs for the moment. These last 2 boars have been digging some pretty big holes.

Happy 4th!

Attached Files 20210704_101522.jpg
Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8312380 07/04/21 08:52 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
👍👍

Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8312893 07/05/21 04:25 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Interesting.
What's the story behind using different bullets?
What are you shooting that throws a 175 grain bullet at 2900FPS ??

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: der Teufel] #8313350 07/06/21 01:52 AM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by der Teufel
Interesting.

Have been using 150 gr SP (.308) for a while and have done well. Still have plenty, but I bought some more ammo that I picked up Friday and he had made both 168 gr. and 175 gr., so that's what I got. I loaded the 175 as my first round and the 168 thereafter. Interestingly his AR 10 he tests with is a Sig like mine, and he loads his ammo fast. He didn't have the exact number but said it was close to 2900 FPS. Only reason I switched ammo was....why not? If I have knockdown issues ongoing I'll go back to the SP and save the others. I can find out the actual chrono data if you really want it. I might be wrong on the rough number.

Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8313643 07/06/21 01:33 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
Interesting.

Have been using 150 gr SP (.308) for a while and have done well. Still have plenty, but I bought some more ammo that I picked up Friday and he had made both 168 gr. and 175 gr., so that's what I got. I loaded the 175 as my first round and the 168 thereafter. Interestingly his AR 10 he tests with is a Sig like mine, and he loads his ammo fast. He didn't have the exact number but said it was close to 2900 FPS. Only reason I switched ammo was....why not? If I have knockdown issues ongoing I'll go back to the SP and save the others. I can find out the actual chrono data if you really want it. I might be wrong on the rough number.

You might want to re-zero for your current ammo IF you plan to stay with it. It doesn't really matter the actual muzzle velocity I suppose, but just for information's sake.... if you have a 16" barrel I'd wager that load *Max Load* is likely more like 2500 fps than 2900 fps. His information to you is most certainly embellished if we are talking about .308 Winchester.

Not knowing what bullet he loaded.., the rounds would concern me, with respect to hog hunting. If you are shooting 175gr. Sierra Match King bullets on large hogs....well suffice to say, I am not surprised they would get back up.

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/06/21 01:37 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: flintknapper] #8314249 07/07/21 01:16 AM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Interesting.

You might want to re-zero for your current ammo IF you plan to stay with it. It doesn't really matter the actual muzzle velocity I suppose, but just for information's sake.... if you have a 16" barrel I'd wager that load *Max Load* is likely more like 2500 fps than 2900 fps. His information to you is most certainly embellished if we are talking about .308 Winchester.

Not knowing what bullet he loaded.., the rounds would concern me, with respect to hog hunting. If you are shooting 175gr. Sierra Match King bullets on large hogs....well suffice to say, I am not surprised they would get back up.

We swapped texts today. It is the 150 gr. that runs 2900 or so FPS. My misunderstanding, not his embellishment. He didnt have his test data with him but he's not a blowhard for sure.

The 175s are Hornady BTHP. The 168s are Hornady A-Max. Funny you mention the getting back up part - I did a lot of digging Saturday after the loss and at best, consensus is target rounds are for targets but can be used on game, but... I did get an education on the nuances of bullet construction and the getting up part.

As for zeroing, agree. This was a whim. I'm curious how they group at the range nonetheless. I'll give it another go because I want to actually see the round on the animal. Will update.

Attached Files 20210702_183541.jpg
Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8314310 07/07/21 02:25 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Interesting.

We swapped texts today. It is the 150 gr. that runs 2900 or so FPS. My misunderstanding, not his embellishment. He didnt have his test data with him but he's not a blowhard for sure.

The 175s are Hornady BTHP. The 168s are Hornady A-Max. Funny you mention the getting back up part - I did a lot of digging Saturday after the loss and at best, consensus is target rounds are for targets but can be used on game, but... I did get an education on the nuances of bullet construction and the getting up part.

As for zeroing, agree. This was a whim. I'm curious how they group at the range nonetheless. I'll give it another go because I want to actually see the round on the animal. Will update.

2900 for the 150 gr, makes sense. It would be on the hot side....but plausible. Hogs an be tough. I've shot more than one in my time that managed to get back up.

Stay after them.....! up

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8314915 07/07/21 08:28 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
@Flint - yeah I think that is only #2 or 3 I know I've hit and run off unfound. Makes you second guess everything, including ammo selection- kinda like the fisherman with 3 tackleboxes but throws a spinner 90% of the time.

Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8314935 07/07/21 08:56 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I shot last week at one from the front yard, about 165 yards, with the 7X57. I held a little high and heard a resounding "whap", but didn't find a thing either. Oh well. They're supposedly just under apes in intelligence, so maybe that sounder will stay away from the house for a little while. I'm seeing fewer on camera recently. The wife (the optimist) thinks I've made a dent. I (the pessimist) think it has more to do with water being spread out over the area in small pockets and they're just more dispersed for now.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8315068 07/07/21 10:50 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I was surprised at the lack of hog pics on my cameras last week myself. I've probably killed 20-25 since deer season. most of them in the month leading up to last week. But I went five days last week before finally getting a pick of 6 pigs at 3am cleaning up under the protein feeders. Even they didn't mess with the corn feeder about 50yds away. Guess they are finally feeling some pressure.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8316580 07/09/21 06:33 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
We swapped texts today. It is the 150 gr. that runs 2900 or so FPS. My misunderstanding, not his embellishment. He didn't have his test data with him but he's not a blowhard for sure.

Okay, that's certainly within the realm of possibilities. I think some/most 'standard' 150 grain loads for .308 (e.g. Winchester PowerPoints) run about 2,800 fps so getting up to 2,900 fps is obviously a little hotter, but not unreasonable.

Thanks for clarifying!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Mission Accomplished (Temporarily) [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8317122 07/10/21 12:32 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide