Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs #8311519 07/03/21 02:49 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Rogan interviews Jesse Griffiths about feral hogs. Pretty good interview, but some stuff was glossed over (as would be expected from cursory intervews)

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8311589 07/03/21 04:54 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Jesse is good people. I've been to his butchering and cooking school. We have kept in touch since. We don't agree on everything, but we agree on most things. Should be getting his new book in the next few weeks. grin

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8313673 07/06/21 01:57 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I've always taken exception to the idea/notion that a carcass left to to be consumed by 'nature' is a "Waste".

That rather suggests that all food sources are best utilized by humans, that WE come first and anything short of that is 'waste'.

Show me a place in the U.S. where a significant number of people are going hungry because Feral Hogs are not being used as food source for them. Not to mention in Texas .....it is nearly impossible *because of regulations* to give away the hogs in anything other than an unprocessed meat form.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8313828 07/06/21 05:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
That was one of those things glossed over. As you know, it is illegal for hunters to kill a hog in the field and then distribute the meat beyond family/friends. It cannot be donated to food shelters, Hunters for the Hungry, etc. Hogs must be inspected both before and after death if the meat is to be publicly distributed - so live trapped hogs delivered to the proper facilities could be, but not field hunted/killed hogs.

Could we feed a bunch of people with feral hog meat? Sure! So now who is responsible for collecting, skinning, gutting, butchering, bagging, icing, packing, and delivering. Joe Rogan isn't paying me for my time and expenses to become a private food shelter literally catering to the needy and he isn't helping me do all the work. I left over 380 carcasses in the field last year.

My community service job is dealing with destructive hogs. If I spend all that time harvesting hogs for others, then I am not going to have much time for killing them in the first place.

Yes, I did provide some hog meat to the needy. I delivered whole, headshot female hogs of approximately 100 lbs in size (requested by the needy family). They were okay with me calling them in the middle of the night and saying I was on the way and they did all the work processing the hogs how they wanted. I can work with that.

Funny thing, most of the "needy" don't want to be called in the middle of the night. They don't want to have to deal with the difficulties and mess of processing a hog. Most want the meat delivered in a cooler, meat iced down so that it will still be good when they get up the next day, and I have had folks even ask that I bag and "label the cuts of meat." I have come to the conclusion that many of the needy just want a handout that doesn't involve effort on their part.

So I return most of the meat to nature. Nature doesn't complain that it tasted "a little gamey this time."

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8313852 07/06/21 05:56 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
So I return most of the meat to nature. Nature doesn't complain that it tasted "a little gamey this time."

roflmao

Yeah, the buzzards usually just say "Hey, you got any more o' 'dat?"

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8313885 07/06/21 06:48 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I have come to the conclusion that many of the needy just want a handout that doesn't involve effort on their part.

Which is likely the reason they became needy in the first place. Not enough effort on getting a job, not enough effort on budgeting their finances, not enough effort on prioritizing needs over wants, etc.

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8313985 07/06/21 08:52 PM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I completely agree with Double Naught about giving hogs to folks. I occasionally get a person that wants a good complete hog, but most want them processed when you deliver them. I have given away hundreds of hog legs to some guys that are in the shooting club with me. I would remove the hind legs, skin them out and use a limb lopper to cut off the lower leg part. I hauled them home where I would clean them up good, and freeze them in plastic bags. I'd take coolers full of legs and ice to the shooting matches and give them away. Unfortunately my old body isn't putting up with nearly as much anymore, and I have stopped doing all the work. Heck....at one time I had 22 nice sized for eating hogs in one trap and I spent a long time getting 44 legs processed out on my truck tailgate and all the stuff I needed to do at home. Nowadays almost every one I get ends up feeding the buzzards and other critters.

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: flintknapper] #8314070 07/06/21 09:58 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by flintknapper
I've always taken exception to the idea/notion that a carcass left to to be consumed by 'nature' is a "Waste".

That rather suggests that all food sources are best utilized by humans, that WE come first and anything short of that is 'waste'.

Show me a place in the U.S. where a significant number of people are going hungry because Feral Hogs are not being used as food source for them. Not to mention in Texas .....it is nearly impossible *because of regulations* to give away the hogs in anything other than an unprocessed meat form.

Very true

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8314096 07/06/21 10:10 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
...and I have had folks even ask that I bag and "label the cuts of meat."

Yeah, this I would not handle very well.

Buzzards follow me around in the CanAm, and lately, I could swear they have a disgusted look on their face.

This is related to when you post on here that you've shot a squirrel and someone asks how you fix it. 'Gimme a break. Yes, I know they're edible. Excellent virtue signaling, by the way!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8314218 07/07/21 12:41 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Who is Jesse Griffith’s?

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: SapperTitan] #8314903 07/07/21 08:18 PM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Creekrunner] #8315083 07/07/21 11:08 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Strangely, I never managed to get him a hog.

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8315101 07/07/21 11:27 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Coworker has a senior Vietnamese "friend" who runs a liquor store in Harris County he brings his hogs to. Very gracious and welcoming. My coworker eats well and gets a free bottle once in a while because the shopkeeper won't take no.

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8316631 07/09/21 07:30 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Funny thing, most of the "needy" don't want to be called in the middle of the night. They don't want to have to deal with the difficulties and mess of processing a hog. Most want the meat delivered in a cooler, meat iced down so that it will still be good when they get up the next day, and I have had folks even ask that I bag and "label the cuts of meat." I have come to the conclusion that many of the needy just want a handout that doesn't involve effort on their part.

True story. I've done quite a bit of donating in the past, and finally got tired of it. If you actually keep your word and show up when I call you, then I'll keep calling you. I'll gut them if you'll do the rest. The days of me doing it all and delivering a finished product to your door ready for the freezer are over, UNLESS the person is old or otherwise incapable of skinning/quartering etc. Have donated a lot of fish also to folks that were truly in need, but they cleaned them unless they were old folks that could barely get around. Then I would clean them for them.

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: flintknapper] #8316714 07/09/21 09:03 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by flintknapper

I am right there with you.

I dont need the meat personally, and i have, in the past, had people take me up on the offer of coming and getting hogs that i have taken. Since i moved to ETX 6 years ago, not one person that said "Hey call me when you get a pig and i'll come get it" has ever showed up. Not a single one. I just drag them to the edge of the field and let the coyotes and buzzards fight over them.

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Creekrunner] #8317016 07/10/21 04:15 AM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
"This is related to when you post on here that you've shot a squirrel and someone asks how you fix it. 'Gimme a break. Yes, I know they're edible. Excellent virtue signaling, by the way!"

Difference is, squirrels are game animals im Texas. Hogs aren't.

Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8317033 07/10/21 05:23 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

scratch confused2 Liberals?
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8317301 07/10/21 05:05 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

Put it in a trash bag with a toe tag attached that says "Hog"…

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8318801 07/12/21 03:53 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I hunted with Jesse and a couple of his guys at a friend's place once. Good guys but a little different. Never seen a guy clean a deer in wing tip shoes before, but man was he efficient and thorough.

[Linked Image]
Re: Joe Rogan Experience - Feral Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8318882 07/12/21 05:24 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
great restaurant

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide