Print Thread
CO Bear Scouting #8308714 06/30/21 01:31 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Q
Yesterday I went into the Bosque de Oso WMA are in CO for the first time. I drew a limited bear tag for the unit (only 2 tags issued) and I wanted to get the lay of the land. Incredible looking area. Found a couple of tracks and found some areas with a lot of Gambel's Oak and currant bushes. Come fall the bears should be hitting those areas to lay on calories. This area has a number of gas wells and the energy guys spend a lot of time in the area. I have found they can be really good sources of info so I ran a couple of them down. They broke out their well pad maps (a lot more detailed than any topo map) and showed me where they have been seeing a lot of bear. One of them had a video on their cell phone from the day before that showed a really big bear in the same area I cut the tracks in. One of the energy guys took my cell phone number and told me he would pass on any additional bear sightings they get.

In a month or so I'm going to contact the game warden for the area and get any input from him as well. Bosque de Oso is only a 3 hr drive from Amarillo so I can spend as many weekends as I want checking the place out between now and Oct. Looking like it will be a good bear hunt!

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: CO Bear Scouting [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8309029 06/30/21 06:35 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Yesterday I went into the Bosque de Oso WMA are in CO for the first time. I drew a limited bear tag for the unit (only 2 tags issued) and I wanted to get the lay of the land. Incredible looking area. Found a couple of tracks and found some areas with a lot of Gambel's Oak and currant bushes. Come fall the bears should be hitting those areas to lay on calories. This area has a number of gas wells and the energy guys spend a lot of time in the area. I have found they can be really good sources of info so I ran a couple of them down. They broke out their well pad maps (a lot more detailed than any topo map) and showed me where they have been seeing a lot of bear. One of them had a video on their cell phone from the day before that showed a really big bear in the same area I cut the tracks in. One of the energy guys took my cell phone number and told me he would pass on any additional bear sightings they get.

In a month or so I'm going to contact the game warden for the area and get any input from him as well. Bosque de Oso is only a 3 hr drive from Amarillo so I can spend as many weekends as I want checking the place out between now and Oct. Looking like it will be a good bear hunt!

That's awesome. Sounds like it couldnt have been much better of a visit. Good luck to you!

Re: CO Bear Scouting [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8309228 06/30/21 10:03 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nothing like having a local on the look out for you.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: CO Bear Scouting [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8309456 07/01/21 01:54 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Don’t forget to tie up a big 200” deer for me. smile

My understanding is come season the gates get locked, then becomes majority on foot. Was the country pretty glass able?

I was going to try to run over there in sept after my elk/bear hunt to get a better lay of the land.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: CO Bear Scouting [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8314247 07/07/21 01:14 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Is that a unit wide tag or just a swa tag? I never thought of looking for bears that far east. Hopefully they'll still be out and about in October. Congrats and good luck!

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: CO Bear Scouting [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8314428 07/07/21 11:32 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
up

Hope you get a monster

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: CO Bear Scouting [Re: jnd59] #8314816 07/07/21 06:33 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Q
Originally Posted by jnd59
Is that a unit wide tag or just a swa tag? I never thought of looking for bears that far east. Hopefully they'll still be out and about in October. Congrats and good luck!

Only valid on the SWA. Bosque de Oso is over 30,000 acres and there are only 2 tags offered for the time I have them. According to the energy guys I talked to that area normally doesn't get any serious winter weather (on an average year at least) until Christmas time and they said they commonly see bears in Oct and Nov. Sows with cubs den first and the bigger solitary boars and sows without cubs tend to stay out later in the year. For what it is worth both the bears I have already taken in CO were both taken during the deer and elk seasons in Oct.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: CO Bear Scouting [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8316020 07/09/21 01:20 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jnd59

Only valid on the SWA. Bosque de Oso is over 30,000 acres and there are only 2 tags offered for the time I have them. According to the energy guys I talked to that area normally doesn't get any serious winter weather (on an average year at least) until Christmas time and they said they commonly see bears in Oct and Nov. Sows with cubs den first and the bigger solitary boars and sows without cubs tend to stay out later in the year. For what it is worth both the bears I have already taken in CO were both taken during the deer and elk seasons in Oct.

Cool. I was thinking of getting a bear tag fall of 2022. Probably another unit west of there. I need to burn my elk points as I'm in no man's land. But I may wait a year and hunt bear next year. It's becoming more popular and I want to take advantage while the draws are easy. I've been buying bear points as a hedge in case demand changes.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide