Carry in Someone Else's Home #8305159 06/26/21 01:14 PM
T
Texgun Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Hello THF friends. I have a question.
If I have a LTC am I allowed by law to carry a concealed handgun into another person's home?
If anybody here can answer my question and tell me where it is in the Texas gun laws booklet I would surely appreciate the help.
Thanks.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8305546 06/26/21 08:59 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
popcorn

[Linked Image]
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8305644 06/26/21 11:26 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You must have permission OR otherwise be in 'control' of the premises.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8306630 06/28/21 04:25 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
My work has me entering homes daily. I never mention what is in my pockets.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8306692 06/28/21 12:38 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
concealed is concealed...all the more reason to avoid open carry

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: blkt2] #8306933 06/28/21 04:23 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by blkt2
My work has me entering homes daily. I never mention what is in my pockets.

Per the law, IF the premises are not posted with the correct signage *30.06 for concealed and/or 30.07 for open carry* you may legally enter. But verbal notification is binding also. After Sept. 1st a 30.05 sign *and certain others will also serve* to forbid permit-less carry.

But in all cases....common courtesy dictates when entering another's home....you should first seek permission. There are exceptions....when you have been temporarily placed in charge/control of the home/property. I.E. house sitting or checking on an abode or animals there.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: The Dude Abides] #8306939 06/28/21 04:30 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

IF it is your intent to suggest that carrying concealed *where it is expressly not wanted or illegal* is a means 'around' the issue, then you are exactly the kind of person who give the rest of us a bad name. IF not, please disregard.

As for Open Carry, it has it's Pro's and Con's which have been discussed at length. Do so...if/when you wish.....or not, but you should not summarily disparage the practice 'if that was the point of your comment'.

Last edited by flintknapper; 06/28/21 04:31 PM.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: flintknapper] #8307023 06/28/21 05:46 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by flintknapper

IF it is your intent to suggest that carrying concealed *where it is expressly not wanted or illegal* is a means 'around' the issue, then you are exactly the kind of person who give the rest of us a bad name. IF not, please disregard.

As for Open Carry, it has it's Pro's and Con's which have been discussed at length. Do so...if/when you wish.....or not, but you should not summarily disparage the practice 'if that was the point of your comment'.

I am responding to the topic of THIS thread..."someone else's home". If am carrying concealed, being discrete the home owner will never know I'm carrying, it will never become an issue. I do NOT brag "I'm carrying a gun". I have never seen a home posted 30.06 or 30.07.

I could care less what you do. What a pfhucking...id..iot

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 06/28/21 05:46 PM.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: The Dude Abides] #8307479 06/29/21 02:22 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

I am responding to the topic of THIS thread..."someone else's home". If am carrying concealed, being discrete the home owner will never know I'm carrying, it will never become an issue.

So.....you affirm that you think its OK to simply conceal? The premise being: IF no one knows...then what is the harm, right?

A blatant disregard for both the law *in some cases* and the rights of a property owner in others using that logic *if we are to consider it logic*.

At best....it would be a complete lack of respect and decorum to not ask the property owner if it was OK, but perhaps you possess neither?

As for the ad hominem attacks....it really doesn't help your position, but if they make you feel better....well be my guest. I prefer to stay on subject. If you don't have an intelligent rebuttal...then maybe its best to examine your position. Is it possible you might just be wrong?

While you are constructing your response to this *which I know you will*, I will go "pound some sand".....since I know that is coming.

wink

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: flintknapper] #8307548 06/29/21 04:16 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S

I am responding to the topic of THIS thread..."someone else's home". If am carrying concealed, being discrete the home owner will never know I'm carrying, it will never become an issue.

So.....you affirm that you think its OK to simply conceal? The premise being: IF no one knows...then what is the harm, right?

A blatant disregard for both the law *in some cases* and the rights of a property owner in others using that logic *if we are to consider it logic*.

At best....it would be a complete lack of respect and decorum to not ask the property owner if it was OK, but perhaps you possess neither?

As for the ad hominem attacks....it really doesn't help your position, but if they make you feel better....well be my guest. I prefer to stay on subject. If you don't have an intelligent rebuttal...then maybe its best to examine your position. Is it possible you might just be wrong?

While you are constructing your response to this *which I know you will*, I will go "pound some sand".....since I know that is coming.

wink

The way the law is with a LTC you can carry wherever you want (aside from schools, airport, etc) unless there is the proper 30.06 or 07 signage or you are directly told not to. Someone else’s home is no different than any where else the eyes of the law. You do not have to have explicit permission or be in control of the property to carry there. It is legal unless you are properly notified otherwise.

Now whether it is disrespectful or not is an entirely different story. This is where the concealed is concealed comes in to play. It isn’t breaking any laws and the homeowner doesn’t really need to know you are carrying. If say I was an insurance adjuster and had to travel to all kinds of good and bad areas of town and go inside and visit with homeowners about their claims you can bet I would be carrying. Perfectly legal to do so and I wouldn’t be asking everyone I visit if it was ok.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8307601 06/29/21 11:17 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If somebody came to my house carrying a firearm, and I did not like it, I would ask them to leave. Just that simple.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: flintknapper] #8307646 06/29/21 12:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I will go "pound some sand".....since I know that is coming. wink

up

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Dave Davidson] #8307651 06/29/21 12:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
If somebody came to my house carrying a firearm, and I did not like it, I would ask them to leave. Just that simple.

Yep, agreed.

Has anyone seen a "home" posted 30.06 or 30.07?
Has anyone been asked to leave a home by the home owner becuase they were "advertising I'm carrying a firearm"?

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Dave Davidson] #8307683 06/29/21 01:14 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sewer rat

The way the law is with a LTC you can carry wherever you want (aside from schools, airport, etc) unless there is the proper 30.06 or 07 signage or you are directly told not to. Someone else’s home is no different than any where else the eyes of the law. You do not have to have explicit permission or be in control of the property to carry there. It is legal unless you are properly notified otherwise.

Now whether it is disrespectful or not is an entirely different story. This is where the concealed is concealed comes in to play. It isn’t breaking any laws and the homeowner doesn’t really need to know you are carrying. If say I was an insurance adjuster and had to travel to all kinds of good and bad areas of town and go inside and visit with homeowners about their claims you can bet I would be carrying. Perfectly legal to do so and I wouldn’t be asking everyone I visit if it was ok.

Totally right

This for sure

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: The Dude Abides] #8307980 06/29/21 06:24 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Yep, agreed.

Has anyone been asked to leave a home by the home owner becuase they were "advertising I'm carrying a firearm"?

I've never seen a sign posted at a residence. Not to be unexpected since most residences are not open to or visited by the general public. A person's 'home' however, I believe creates an additional need for consideration of the homeowners 'wishes/position'. Quite separate from the dictates of the law. We can all appreciate *I hope* that everything that is 'lawful' is not necessarily the best thing to do.

Your second question *related to open carry* into a home is an easy one for me to answer since I have seen this play out firsthand. The boyfriend of one of my nieces came to visit and sauntered into my In-Laws home with his pistol openly carried and quite visible. My In-Laws are in no way anti-gun but my Father-in-Law appropriately told the young man he would need to disarm before reentering their home.

The young man *freshly ex-military* had really given no thought to it and had not considered it might cause any concern. In reality....that proved not to be the case. Speaking with my In-Laws about the matter... later revealed they were more than a little offended about the incident.

So we have an object lesson where there were no written laws broken, but the wishes/concerns of the homeowner were never considered. It can be rightfully said that if a person were carrying concealed this would not have happened *the altercation*. But does not having been 'discovered' make it alright?

Does doing that which is 'lawful' in this case circumvent the possible wishes of the property owner in their own home? My point being....I think considerate folks will by default seek to understand that a person's home presents special considerations, not spelled out in the law. Otherwise we'd all have to post big, honking 30.06, 30.07 signs at entrance or verbally advise every person entering. I'm confident that was not the intent of law makers as concerns the homes we live in.

So.....what to do? Some will fall back on the 'letter of the law' and give it no further thought. Others 'hopefully' will be better stewards and give more thought to WHERE and WHEN it is appropriate to carry to begin with...and IF there should be a concern to notify.

I've been carrying since 1996 and encourage anyone that wants to....to do so. I'm not a 'carry 24/7' person and don't have a pistol in my shower. If you live in an area that requires that for your safety, save your money and move. But that's a different argument.

Last edited by flintknapper; 06/29/21 06:28 PM.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: flintknapper] #8308084 06/29/21 08:14 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
^

Yep, agreed.

I've never seen a sign posted at a residence. Not to be unexpected since most residences are not open to or visited by the general public. A person's 'home' however, I believe creates an additional need for consideration of the homeowners 'wishes/position'. Quite separate from the dictates of the law. We can all appreciate *I hope* that everything that is 'lawful' is not necessarily the best thing to do.

Your second question *related to open carry* into a home is an easy one for me to answer since I have seen this play out firsthand. The boyfriend of one of my nieces came to visit and sauntered into my In-Laws home with his pistol openly carried and quite visible. My In-Laws are in no way anti-gun but my Father-in-Law appropriately told the young man he would need to disarm before reentering their home.

The young man *freshly ex-military* had really given no thought to it and had not considered it might cause any concern. In reality....that proved not to be the case. Speaking with my In-Laws about the matter... later revealed they were more than a little offended about the incident.

So we have an object lesson where there were no written laws broken, but the wishes/concerns of the homeowner were never considered. It can be rightfully said that if a person were carrying concealed this would not have happened *the altercation*. But does not having been 'discovered' make it alright?

Does doing that which is 'lawful' in this case circumvent the possible wishes of the property owner in their own home? My point being....I think considerate folks will by default seek to understand that a person's home presents special considerations, not spelled out in the law. Otherwise we'd all have to post big, honking 30.06, 30.07 signs at entrance or verbally advise every person entering. I'm confident that was not the intent of law makers as concerns the homes we live in.

So.....what to do? Some will fall back on the 'letter of the law' and give it no further thought. Others 'hopefully' will be better stewards and give more thought to WHERE and WHEN it is appropriate to carry to begin with...and IF there should be a concern to notify.

I've been carrying since 1996 and encourage anyone that wants to....to do so. I'm not a 'carry 24/7' person and don't have a pistol in my shower. If you live in an area that requires that for your safety, save your money and move. But that's a different argument.

...so I will fall back on my original comment in this thread, "concealed is concealed". I DO NOT open carry. I'm not advertising in any way, I'm not telling anyone that "I HAVE A GUN (OH MY)", I'm not asking permission, essentially the gun is NEVER SEEN so the issue never comes up.

On the off chance I am asked to leave then so be it, I would leave (this has NEVER happened).

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8308289 06/30/21 12:00 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
why would you go if you felt the need to carry

[Linked Image]
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Tin Head] #8308323 06/30/21 12:29 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Tin Head

Its the age old question isn't it.

Of course there are places/events where the risks of needing to use lethal force for protection are so small....it just doesn't make sense.

On the other hand.....commuting to and from those places could potentially put you in harms way.

We 'prepare' for the unexpected as much as it makes sense to do and hope not to need it. Situational awareness is key to avoiding trouble, but sometimes trouble finds you anyway. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to carry and some folks simply have no choice.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8308379 06/30/21 01:22 AM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Probably an in-law that hates guns and votes for democrats that told him not to bring a gun in its house.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Tin Head] #8308535 06/30/21 05:55 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tin Head

That is such an ignorant question. No personal offense meant but how exactly is anyone supposed to know when they will need their firearm for defense? Why would you drive somewhere if you felt the need to wear your seatbelt? Criminals / mass shooters attack in all kinds of places. I fully realize the odds of needing to use your firearm for defense are very low but if it happens I bet it does when you least expect it and in a place you perceived as safe. I carry all the time. I don’t get to pick and choose when it might be needed.

You want a relavent example? My wife’s little sister had an ex boyfriend she hadn’t seen or even talked to in four years. One year at Christmas we are all at her parents house and he shows up drunk causing trouble. Her dad tells him to leave. Drunk ex pulls a knife and refuses. Her brother is a prison guard and grabs some pepper spray from his car and soaks him and then held him down until the cops arrive. Not at all a crazy family I have been with my wife twenty years and this is the only thing remotely crazy I have ever seen. What if the brother wouldn’t have been there and crazy ex stabbed dad? There are a million other possible scenarios. One time in the middle of the day in a nice neighborhood some drugged out guy just walked right in to my grandparents house. I don’t rely on others to provide for my own safety.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: flintknapper] #8308539 06/30/21 06:03 AM
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S

Yep, agreed.

I guess everyone has different views but I don’t associate with people who are anti gun. I can’t think of a single friend I have whose house I would or have been to that would be offended if I carried there. Heck when we get together we usually talk guns and hunting. If someone is going to freak out about me carrying I most likely wouldn’t be their friend or be there in the first place. If they took offense I certainly wouldn’t be back not because they wouldn’t welcome me but because I wouldn’t want to. Your niece’s boyfriend seems like a good guy. Your inlaws should have been thanking him for his service and for wanting to carry and keep the niece safe not getting bent out of shape about it.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8313484 07/06/21 06:08 AM
T
Texgun Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Please let me explain why I asked the question in the first place. My mother and father in law are in their eighties and don't like guns. I have a LTC but don't carry a gun into their home. Would I be correct in telling them that unless they post a 30:06 and a 30:07 sign in their home then a license holder can carry in their home without asking permission?
I'd also like to show it to them in the Texas law book if you could tell me where to find it.
Thanks.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8313512 07/06/21 10:52 AM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
"Would I be correct in telling them that unless they post a 30:06 and a 30:07 sign in their home then a license holder can carry in their home without asking permission?"

No.

Last edited by fishdfly; 07/06/21 11:01 AM.
Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8313587 07/06/21 12:34 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Texgun
Please let me explain why I asked the question in the first place. My mother and father in law are in their eighties and don't like guns. I have a LTC but don't carry a gun into their home. Would I be correct in telling them that unless they post a 30:06 and a 30:07 sign in their home then a license holder can carry in their home without asking permission?
I'd also like to show it to them in the Texas law book if you could tell me where to find it.
Thanks.

Carry concealed and keep quiet about guns. Since they don't like guns the topic will probably not even come up. If they see you carrying in their home and they ask you to remove the gun from this home then comply without delay.

Re: Carry in Someone Else's Home [Re: Texgun] #8313672 07/06/21 01:56 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Your rights end where theirs begin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide