Print Thread
Taking Back Control #8105713 12/28/20 05:21 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Going to be a rough haul but I have to do it. For someone who used to be in peak shape I look and feel like a dang walrus in my mid 30s.

BP has gotten way too high - 130s/90s - it started to spike in my early 20s when I was in college and stopped eating well and stopped working out...hasn't been a huge problem but I believe its the root of several health problems now (that and stress). I think it has a detrimental effect on my mood/attitude/libido - you name it.

I'm 5'8" and am at 205. Was at my heaviest 2 years ago at 230 - got down to 190 last year but just didn't stick with it - that was purely from diet...no major exercise. Eat fast food for lunch 4 days a week now and we arguably aren't eating great a couple nights a week. Going to cut out the energy drinks, the cokes, and sweet tea. It's back to water and unsweet tea.

We got my wife a nice treadmill about a year ago. Got it all set up and have a big tv where she uses some app streamed to the tv that connects to the treadmill. She went from someone who never runs to running a 5K. My diet habits have hindered her weightloss more than they should - so it's time for me to get on board so that we both can reap the benefits. I subscribed to the app this morning and ordered a good pair of running shoes. Absolutely hate running/jogging but have never felt better than when I did it religiously...so time to build back into that. I'm cheap as hell - so if I spend money on it - I'm gonna use it.

Goal weight is 175. No health insurance - so let's hope losing the weight and adopting better eating habits helps get things back in line on the BP side of things.

Wish me luck. Tired of feeling like a walrus.

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8105756 12/28/20 05:54 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good luck.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8105882 12/28/20 08:08 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Good luck. Stick with it. A persons health is very important for you as well as loved ones. Keep us posted, it may help keep you on course.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8105915 12/28/20 08:41 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
You got this! I'm right there with you, but at 43 yrs old. I'm 5'11" and currently sitting at 255 lbs. I was in great shape last year eating right, weight training 5 days/week, and power walking 5 miles/day (I don't run). I only drank on the weekends and it was mostly low carb. My healthy/in-shape weight is 225 lbs, so about 30 lbs overweight and man I feel it. I was gutting a deer on the ground the other day and was kinda embarrassing running out of breath. That's a first.

Since the Covid lockdowns and getting laid off I've let myself go. Eating a lot/lots of carbs, and drinking WAY too much beer. Drinking every day. None of my clothes fit anymore lol. Heart disease runs in my family too, so it's time for me to take back control as well. cheers

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8105928 12/28/20 08:51 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
If you want it to happen, it will happen. That is the main thing. No nobody can decide for you.

I went Keto (20 carbs or less per day) on July 20 and I have gone from 267 to 219. The best feeling in the world (besides the obvious) is every time you step on the scale, the number goes down. I feel a million times better than I did 5 months ago.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Taking Back Control [Re: skinnerback] #8108461 12/30/20 09:34 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback
You got this! I'm right there with you, but at 43 yrs old. I'm 5'11" and currently sitting at 255 lbs. I was in great shape last year eating right, weight training 5 days/week, and power walking 5 miles/day (I don't run). I only drank on the weekends and it was mostly low carb. My healthy/in-shape weight is 225 lbs, so about 30 lbs overweight and man I feel it. I was gutting a deer on the ground the other day and was kinda embarrassing running out of breath. That's a first.

Since the Covid lockdowns and getting laid off I've let myself go. Eating a lot/lots of carbs, and drinking WAY too much beer. Drinking every day. None of my clothes fit anymore lol. Heart disease runs in my family too, so it's time for me to take back control as well. cheers

Schedule a visit with a cardiologist. I wish someone had told me to do that when I was your age. Out of breath is a warning sign.

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8108564 12/30/20 10:54 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Skinner do you notice any light swelling in your feet, constant fatigue or sometimes uncomfortable breathing, especially at night?

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8108610 12/30/20 11:36 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Your feet will do better if you gut up and take steps rather than save steps.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8109797 12/31/20 09:57 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Get better soon sir

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8112004 01/02/21 03:37 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Get a hold of this now. It don't get any better. Growing up, I always wanted to be 6'3" and a 195. Got that height and when I hit 195, realized that wasn't all I thought it would be. At about thirty, I ran three miles a day, did 200 sit ups and 100 push ups. Wasn't fearful of very much.

Quit this regimen at two months into being 37 and went to 245, a gain of twenty pounds, in two months. At sixty, I am now 260 and tightly wear 40 inch wranglers. I am rather "big boned" and few realize my weight. Before they do, I am thinking to do something about it. It'll be harder now.

Big hint here - Avoid anything and everything processed or white. Potatoes, noodles and breads are not your friend. Neither is most anything in a can, bottle or box. If you need a pick me up, disregard energy drinks for carrots and bananas. Your body will process and utilize natural sugars before all those unnatural chemicals slurried together in energy drinks and sodas.

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8295284 06/15/21 03:42 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted by Cochise
Going to be a rough haul but I have to do it. For someone who used to be in peak shape I look and feel like a dang walrus in my mid 30s.

BP has gotten way too high - 130s/90s - it started to spike in my early 20s when I was in college and stopped eating well and stopped working out...hasn't been a huge problem but I believe its the root of several health problems now (that and stress). I think it has a detrimental effect on my mood/attitude/libido - you name it.

I'm 5'8" and am at 205. Was at my heaviest 2 years ago at 230 - got down to 190 last year but just didn't stick with it - that was purely from diet...no major exercise. Eat fast food for lunch 4 days a week now and we arguably aren't eating great a couple nights a week. Going to cut out the energy drinks, the cokes, and sweet tea. It's back to water and unsweet tea.

We got my wife a nice treadmill about a year ago. Got it all set up and have a big tv where she uses some app streamed to the tv that connects to the treadmill. She went from someone who never runs to running a 5K. My diet habits have hindered her weightloss more than they should - so it's time for me to get on board so that we both can reap the benefits. I subscribed to the app this morning and ordered a good pair of running shoes. Absolutely hate running/jogging but have never felt better than when I did it religiously...so time to build back into that. I'm cheap as hell - so if I spend money on it - I'm gonna use it.

Goal weight is 175. No health insurance - so let's hope losing the weight and adopting better eating habits helps get things back in line on the BP side of things.

Well how did it go?

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: NORML as can be] #8303652 06/24/21 06:51 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by NORML as can be

Well how did it go?

It's going good. Main thing for me was eating too much and empty calories in drinks. Got the eating under control - no fad diets - just pure portion control (and only fast food once per week at lunch) and cut out the sweetened drinks. Focused on running the first 3 months, but have shifted more into weights now 3x week. Run usually 3.5 miles on Friday mornings before the sun comes up since I'm off work. Probably won't run any more than that since I hate running.

Weight is holding pretty solid in the 178-182 range - which is a good weight for my frame. BP has dropped back into normal levels.

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8307303 06/28/21 10:54 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Great Job! I’m on the same road.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: Cochise] #8310654 07/02/21 02:26 PM
20bore Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Probably won't run any more than that since I hate running.

Save your knees, get a bike.

Re: Taking Back Control [Re: 20bore] #8311583 07/03/21 04:42 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by 20bore
Probably won't run any more than that since I hate running.

Save your knees, get a bike.

Save your testes, get an elliptical. roflmao

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide