Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Right handed... #8305848 06/27/21 03:41 AM
TCM3 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Left eye dominant... So i shoot left handed. I've attempted shooting right handed, but i really have trouble with my right eye as far as looking down the sights, it's almost like it wanders down on its own, as well as its harder for me to close my left eye.. Probably from lack of doing it.
My question is, if i used an eye patch over my left, i wonder if i could train my right eye and be dominant, or both dominant..
My .22, shotgun and 308 rifle are right handed...

Any suggestions..

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8305872 06/27/21 03:58 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Patching is a training method you can use. It will render the eye useless to the brain and the brain will be force to use the opposite eye and you will establish new neuron pathways over time that will help make the task easier/more natural.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8305909 06/27/21 04:30 AM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I’m left dominant and left handed. Always shot rifles left handed. Couple years ago my left eye had a partially detached retina. Part of the surgery involved removing all the fluid from the back of the eye and replacing with a gas that eventually dissolves as the eye replaces the fluid. Takes about 2 months. So I tried shooting right handed with my pellet rifle and it didn’t go all that badly. Now I do all my rifle shooting right handed but still feel more comfortable drawing from a left handed holster for hand guns.

Long story short, You can train yourself to shoot right handed. If you are using a scope, it doesn’t make that much difference.

Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8305920 06/27/21 04:38 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Due to an eye injury that healed 100% later, I ended up learning to shoot both right and left handed. I have no preference these days. I do shoot passing doves on the shoulder where my body isn't turning against itself though. I've also made a little money on bets from folks who didn't know I can shoot both right and left handed. You can train yourself to shoot either way.

Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8305924 06/27/21 04:40 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
confused2 Thing i'd worry about.
Will it take away from left eye ?
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306377 06/27/21 09:57 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Wont take anything from the left eye.

Many a pathology renders one eye more useless to shooting than the other and with a little practice almost anyone can switch from right to left. Just takes time and practice.

Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306472 06/27/21 11:43 PM
TCM3 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for the replies, i really appreciate them,
up

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306503 06/28/21 12:14 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TCM3
Left eye dominant... So i shoot left handed. I've attempted shooting right handed, but i really have trouble with my right eye as far as looking down the sights, it's almost like it wanders down on its own, as well as its harder for me to close my left eye.. Probably from lack of doing it.
My question is, if i used an eye patch over my left, i wonder if i could train my right eye and be dominant, or both dominant..

Any suggestions..

Leave it alone.

You're left eye dominant, shoot left handed.

You can make the hands do anything. You cannot force the eyes.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306647 06/28/21 05:32 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Thanks for the replies, i really appreciate them,
up

You're welcome. Your eyes are controlled by your brain and your muscles. You can train them both to do what you desire with the correct amount of effort.

Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306740 06/28/21 01:21 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There’s no single answer. As a right hand/eye shotgun shooter, I did eventually become almost as good from the left side with doves. Time and practice, and of course, opportunity. With a pistol, I’m Ok left handed. With a rifle, I’m just Ok, just don’t expect me to make a running shot on a deer left handed.

On the flip side, I dread having to attempt to teach right hand left eyed folks to shoot anything. They just don’t want to change, in most all cases. If they won’t consider change…

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306812 06/28/21 02:22 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

Any suggestions..

On the shotgun............quit aiming it and start hitting your target more often.
I've never closed either eye when shooting shotgun.

Rifle and pistol is an entirely different thing. I am also right handed and left eye dominant but never knew that until I was in my 20s or early 30s and was shooting some skeet at our local range. The guy who owns that range is the one who told me to open up both my eyes and just shoot and quit trying to aim the shotgun like a rifle. I guess since I've never shot anything but right handed it never truly bothered me that much. Although now I am noticing it takes me a bit longer to focus in and get on target then it used to. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306819 06/28/21 02:28 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
With enough practice the sky is the limit. Move up close and shoot at a big target with both eyes open to train your eyes. Then use your bullet hole as the point of aim. A patch will do nothing to train your eyes. There is also good reason for a lot of frustrated shooters that make the switch to shooting with their dominant eye.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8306958 06/28/21 04:54 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
This just from experience of being left eye dominate and right handed. I read as a kid you need to be able to shoot from either side to be ready for any shot and took that to heart and practiced with the bb gun until I was as good from one side as the other. My eye dominance is not so strong that I cannot close the dominate eye like many I worked with in Archery.

With my eye issues later in life I am not sure I really have a dominate eye any more, was legally blind in the left eye for over a month, during that time the right eye took more control. Now checking for eye dominance gets mixed results.

Texas Buckeye is an eye professional so I trust his word on eye subjects and from my own experience the dominate eyes can be switched or become more neutral (one less dominate over time)

With Archery those that were so cross eye dominate they could not close their dominate eye and use the other eye were far better off shooting from the dominate eye side.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8308724 06/30/21 01:38 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
One of the things I teach at NJROTC is marksmanship and when I get a cross eyed dominant shooter we always patch the eye. It takes a few times of shooting but the other eye takes over. There may be other methods but patching is easiest. We simply took 2 pairs of shooting glasses and blacked out a right eye on one and a left eye on the other and have them available as needed.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8309147 06/30/21 08:42 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Some of this probably boils down to the question - is your right eye worth it? What I mean by that is that I am right handed, left eye dominant, and my right eye vision is terrible. I shoot a pistol right handed, no problem (just [censored] my head a bit), but in my case, I don't even bother trying to shoot a rifle right handed. If your right eye is strong, and you feel like you really want to switch, then give it a shot. If you're happy shooting lefty, then stick with it.

I bought a left handed 30-06 as my hunting rifle. Took me a month or two to adjust, and now shouldering a rifle right handed feels completely foreign to me. Do what works for you and offers you the most advantages.

Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8310478 07/02/21 06:49 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I agree, there's no single answer here. I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed, and never have had a problem hitting what I was aiming for. In fact, I usually hit at least 3 of 4 of the 300m targets on the qual range with open sights. You can train yourself to do whatever you want. Find a comfortable sweet spot and train train train (whenever ammo is back in stock). grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Right handed... [Re: J.G.] #8310507 07/02/21 11:37 AM
W
wp75169 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Any suggestions..

Leave it alone.

You're left eye dominant, shoot left handed.

You can make the hands do anything. You cannot force the eyes.

I’m 100% with this. I fought it for years trying to use my right eye. Once I switched it took 30 minutes of awkwardness then I was shooting better than I ever had in my life. It took a while but I now only own left handed bolt rifles.

I think many people have this problem and don’t know it. They just accept things as they are and never discover their potential.

Re: Right handed... [Re: TCM3] #8312255 07/04/21 05:43 PM
T
Trash Fish and Cull Bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I don't understand the problem? If its working, keep doing it, don't understand the need to switch anything. I'm left handed (writing) and left eye dominant. I shoot a rifle and shotgun left handed, but a pistol and bow right handed. Also eat, throw, and bowl right-handed. All of my guns are right-handed, never saw a need for a left-handed gun.

The recreational value of game is inverse to the artificiality of its origin - Aldo Leopold
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide