Forums46
Topics537,717
Posts9,728,134
Members87,037
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards #8300903 06/21/21 05:47 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Anybody going? The event is in San Antonio July 15-18 and the deadline to book a room for the discounted rate is tomorrow. You can still sign up for the Convention on the day of.
Some of yall like Steven Rinella and he is the speaker at the Friday luncheon. TWA is a great organization and its a great opportunity to support it. Lots is going on and too much to list, but for me, besides the socializing and networking with like minded folks, its the TGBA thats real special. Friday night they will recognize the top 3 big game animals killed this past season in every category including WT, MD and Pronghorn. It includes Typical, Non typical and High Fence and Low Fence are separated. It also includes any Texas Slams that were killed. Most of those mounts will be on display. Most years that would be about 20 to 40 of the biggest Texas heads you have ever seen. Because covid last year cancelled the event, then I believe they are inviting the heads from last year as well. So maybe 40 to 80 big heads(my estimate.) If anybody goes, look me up, Ill be the one standing around all the heads.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8301118 06/21/21 09:48 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I know a hunter that killed a buck in a one buck county and tagged it. A couple of weeks later he killed a bigger buck but he had no tag. So he called his son and had him bring his wife's tag to tag it. What I didn't know at the time was he turned it into the Big Game Awards in her name and she won for the region.

Looking back I wished I'd called the warden, but what I did do is tell the land owner and he was kicked off the ranch. In fact we were all kicked off the ranch. The poacher was the lease boss.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: Stompy] #8301130 06/21/21 09:57 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stompy
I know a hunter that killed a buck in a one buck county and tagged it. A couple of weeks later he killed a bigger buck but he had no tag. So he called his son and had him bring his wife's tag to tag it. What I didn't know at the time was he turned it into the Big Game Awards in her name and she won for the region.

Looking back I wished I'd called the warden, but what I did do is tell the land owner and he was kicked off the ranch. In fact we were all kicked off the ranch. The poacher was the lease boss.

scared But, you did the right thing.

I'll be there some.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8301185 06/21/21 10:40 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
My 8 point WT ended up 4th biggest overall low fence in the state....missed it by that much deer2

Hope to be there at least for part.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8301214 06/21/21 11:19 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im gonna see that 8 pt one day. I wish he would of made it. Im trying to lobby TWA to invite more of the top heads. They wouldnt have time to recognize that many heads during the ceremony and there wouldnt be enough room to display them in the main room but ive got an idea. Call it the TexasTen and invite the top ten in each category but know that all would not be recognized. The second tier could be set up outside the main room with all the vendors and such. The event is already a monstrous affair for them to handle so it may just be too much, but Im trying.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8302027 06/22/21 11:23 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I’ll be there. Taxidermist is doing everything possible to have my Mule deer floor pedestal done in time. My buck was the number 1 scoring buck in the state.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8302052 06/22/21 11:42 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You better tell that taxi to hurry!!!!
Tomorrow last day to get the rooms at the discounted event price. That place is really pricey so some may not even want to stay there. The place is basically a "resort" I guess and a lot of entire families will go as a vacation. They have golf and stuff and a great mini water park. They event has events for the kids almost all day long that are outdoor/hunting/fishing related so you can basically have a free baby sitter the whole time. Dont quote me on all this or the free but i think it used to be.
Also, you can pick and chose how much of the event you want to go to. Pretty sure you can just sign up for the Friday night TBGA show and dinner.
The Auction is Sat night and its amazing the type of hunts they auction off. Lots of it is high dollar but a lot of the Ranches offer hunts that normally are never offered to the public. Silent auction also has lots of lower priced stuff. Their website has all details. I dont actually have a dog in the fight but Ive been going most years for 30+ years and really enjoy it.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8302080 06/23/21 12:19 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Had to bribe her with wine just so she would pretend to be looking at the deer. She needs a shopping buddy, gets tired of all the “stupid deer talk.”
[Linked Image]

She’s actually smiling, must be on her second glass.
[Linked Image]

She’s looking a little tipsy here. I think she’s outa here!!
[Linked Image]

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8303870 06/24/21 11:10 PM
T
TXHunter0619 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
T
This sounds like an awesome event to celebrate the passion we're all interested in discussing daily on this very forum! And, by the looks, a nice way to offer the wife some r&r poolside at the JW Marriott while attending some great hunting events rather than leaving her at home during the season. Thanks for sharing freerange.

For the rest of y'all, here's the website for more information: https://www.wildlife2021.com/

Lots of great sessions in addition to the Rinella talk.

tough times don't last, tough people do
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8303934 06/25/21 12:24 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
It's a month earlier than normal this year. We typically have a vacation planned that coincides with it and we always stay at the JW. Ironically, we moved our vacation up this year but we will miss the convention by a week. Usually a good time, but be careful around the crooked branch at night -- there hasn't been a year yet that a fight hasn't broken out.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: TLew] #8304095 06/25/21 03:44 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TLew
It's a month earlier than normal this year. We typically have a vacation planned that coincides with it and we always stay at the JW. Ironically, we moved our vacation up this year but we will miss the convention by a week. Usually a good time, but be careful around the crooked branch at night -- there hasn't been a year yet that a fight hasn't broken out.

Never seen a fight in there. Neither the Convention crowd nor the rest of the Hotel crowd seems like the type. Almost all seem like families.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8304638 06/25/21 07:57 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Sapper going, right? he will be the man!

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: Hudbone] #8304665 06/25/21 08:37 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Lots of really big heads there, but his will get a lot of attention. If they dont have a red carpet for him Ill roll one out. Buck of a lifetime for sure.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: TLew] #8304737 06/25/21 10:00 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TLew
... but be careful around the crooked branch at night -- there hasn't been a year yet that a fight hasn't broken out.

'Sounds like the South Africans and the Zimbos at the bar at DSC. grin bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: Hudbone] #8304866 06/26/21 12:21 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone

I’m praying the taxidermist Jerry Huffaker can get it done in time. He had to bump me way up to try and have it done in time and when I talked to him last week he said the cape was currently being tanned.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8305271 06/26/21 03:20 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Sapper, tell me how you find out your buck is the biggest in the state? Does every scored buck get entered into a database and then the org invites the tip three? Or did you have to enter the score into the database and yours was tops? Just curious how that process works.

Also, i really hope for your sake the mount is done but i really hope it is done perfectly, would hare to have a
Subpar mount for a buck like yours! Awesome mulie!

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8305332 06/26/21 05:09 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
#1 entry in title of thread. Great and superb honor. Sapper be fierce.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8305357 06/26/21 05:28 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ok, so the organization is entered into….texas big game awards. So people have to enter and then they are told they are number 1 thru 3…gotcha. I didnt know if this was a thing the score entered into a statewide database and then the results were told or if the person entered IF they wanted to.

All i know is sappers MD is a beast and DStroud’s WT is as equal a beast. Both lifetime bucks and would love to have each on my wall, but only if i shot them.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8305385 06/26/21 06:15 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Go to tbga website

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: Texas buckeye] #8305533 06/26/21 08:41 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Sapper, tell me how you find out your buck is the biggest in the state? Does every scored buck get entered into a database and then the org invites the tip three? Or did you have to enter the score into the database and yours was tops? Just curious how that process works.

Also, i really hope for your sake the mount is done but i really hope it is done perfectly, would hare to have a

It’s gonna be an awesome mount. I told him if he gets to a point he knows he can’t make it happen I’ll just come get the antlers and take them and have the mount done afterwards. I’m having a floor pedestal done using barnwood and having the Pitchfork brand burned into the wood base. It’s gonna be a mount of a lifetime for a buck of a lifetime.

Also he is picking the form up tomorrow so I think I’m gonna be good to go. Me the wife and my son will be there fri-sun and PitchforkPredator and his wife will be there with me as well. Look forward to meeting anyone who is going from the forum.

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: Texas buckeye] #8305665 06/27/21 12:26 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Click on the 2020-2021 Standings tab and it will take you to a PDF file that list WT, MD, Antelope, Javelina, Bighorn Sheep and First Time hunters by Region in the state. There are 8 regions in the state. The menu tab will have a photo section from this year and previous seasons. Not all the animals will have a photo listed.
http://www.texasbiggameawards.org/standings/

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8306033 06/27/21 01:04 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Glad y’all enjoyed it!!

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8313864 07/06/21 06:12 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
A few more pics from previous years. Just trying to keep y’all reminded. A great event and don’t want anyone missing it cause they didn’t know about it. The TBGA presentation/celebration is popular to hunters but there are lots of seminars and information about lots of wildlife management, conservation and private property owner issues, as well as entertainment for the whole family.
It’s understandable it’s not for everyone but anyone living close to San Antonio is really missing out to not at least go to the Friday night TBGA.
Always a crowd mingling around the heads.
[Linked Image]

Texas Slams are rare, so they invite all that are killed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

From another year, a 192 gross typical low fence. I think this year there were two that “netted” right at 192.
[Linked Image]

Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8313881 07/06/21 06:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Damn STX and I where 6 miles from a Texas slam in 19. Lol, O’well

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TWA Annual Convention and Statewide Texas Big Game Awards [Re: freerange] #8313959 07/06/21 08:21 PM
S
Stetsonoverton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
wish i had known about a texas slam this time last year i would have been trying to book a last min antelope hunt, I had a shooter muley and whitetail already coming in like clockwork.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide