Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The truth on carbs #8303423 06/24/21 02:36 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
So when I went in for shoulder surgery I weighed 280. That’s usually about right as I usually run that and 285. While in the hospital my blood glucose and BP kept creeping up. Mind you I am on meds for both.

Many moons ago I did Atkins. I went from my highest of 330 to 290. I was pretty happy with myself, so I thought. The diet lost steam with me as I had a sweet tooth and flour addiction. Back when I did it low carb diets work and still work but not many options as there are now.

Times have drastically changed. If your a pill pushing Doc this will upset you. If you believe that the Medical profession knows it all and wants what’s “best for you” well. They have and continue to lie to you. Those pockets are deep for a reason along with big pharmaceutical companies.

If you believe in the American Diabetes Association and the so called meal plan for diabetics your a sitting stool pigeon as well. The eat oatmeal and fruits da da da is complete BS.

From 280 I am down to 230. How long did it take? 3 months. I’m still doing it and have plateaued as I did at 240. Once I get back from vacation I will do interment fasting. OMG, fasting???!!!!! But that’s so unhealthy and I will starve. Skip your usual bowl of sugared cold cereal. Between 12-8 eat your 2 high FAT HIGH PROTEIN MEALS. Get a full belly of yum yums.

I watch a Doc on YouTube and he is a straight shooter. He backs his meals and what you should eat with “don’t believe me, believe your glucose monitor”. I have trusted in that and after trying new carb friendly foods I check my glucose. If it read high afterwards it was a no go.

So how awful was my complete blood work on glucose, triglycerides, A1C, cholesterol, liver enzymes ( fatty liver, yes it will eventually kill you) etc etc. All were way down, like in the normal range down. A1C went from a 6.8 to a 5.6. I was cut down in dosage of Metformin by half. My BP readings are usually now in the 120s/ low 80s. Usually I ran 140s-150s/ high 90s with meds.

My wife’s on it and she has lost 20 lbs. her A1C was 7.8. Her last A1C is now 5.7. She was on 5 diabetes meds. They have taken her off 2 completely and the reason neither one of us has had the Metformin taken more out is you have to be weened off it. She was on triglycerides meds and those have been cut in half. She is completely off her BP meds. For a person who lost 20 lbs. she has done far better for herself then I could imagine.

My sweet tooth???? It’s about gone. About twice a week wife and I split a Quest cookie. We use almond flour if we need to which isn’t often. We read labels on carbs, sugars etc. if we are going out to a restaurant we look at the menu. Some places we can’t go as they offer no carb free menus. Others you can make work.
Quite a bit easier ten 30 yrs ago with little to no options when I first did low carb.

Beer???? No mas. Nothing but carbs. My whiskey collection has come in handy. I limit alcohol as well though as the liver has cleansed pretty well on this no sugar stuff. I started out at monitoring less then 100 grams of carbs per day. This from a guy who would eat a sleeve of Premium crackers, pretzels fruits etc etc while I watched the news.

Now I limit my carb intake to less then 20, per day. Once your in ketosis you don’t want you lose it. We don’t do “cheat days”. I know myself to well. My usual good ole heart healthy oatmeal and cold cereal are gone. Boiled egg, avocado, bacon etc.

Will we keep it up this time?? I hope so. It’s a life style change and requires commitment. Lot easier if your spouse is on board, IMO. At 55 yrs of age I have never felt better. How sad that all through my youth and adult life it took me this long to do this. My jeans went from a 44 waist to a 38. I joke with people and tell them the last time I wore 38s was in second grade.

So you may wonder, am I on the Keto diet. Kinda, I just don’t take in as many fats. We eat what we can afford as there as dirty keto and healthy keto. Ours is if it’s affordable and low carb we are doing it. We don’t do mail order foods, MCT oils, keto this or that. People are in it to make money off keto like anything else. We do purchase cookies and ice cream. Expansive? Pricey yeah but how often do you do it ?? I guarantee you, you screw more money off on worse BS.

I’m not saying it’s for everyone. Do your research and watch for the magical keto/low carb magicians on the web. Be prepared to be outsteaed by your treating doc. Lord knows you need 10 pills a day. If you try it I wish you the very best. Maybe this is an encouragement from an old, wounded man. I don’t know. Oh well.

Pics of me at about 290 and now.

Attached Files A3AD10EA-ADB0-4608-92CB-1494BD41EF25.jpeg1F3E77D2-8BF2-4935-84C9-57C8D7A01F94.jpeg

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8303437 06/24/21 02:57 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ken Berry, M.D. ?

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8303447 06/24/21 03:00 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Calories in vs calories used. Look it up.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: soooo] #8303451 06/24/21 03:05 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by soooo
Ken Berry, M.D. ?

Spot on

[Linked Image]
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8304135 06/25/21 09:08 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by 7mag
Originally Posted by soooo
Ken Berry, M.D. ?

Spot on

I watched quit a bit of his vides last year. I liked his style

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8304165 06/25/21 11:44 AM
D
DannyB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I'm not diabetic or have been close, but am curious to check the numbers once in a while. What monitor that doesn't break the bank do you use? I'm curious about A1C as well.

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: DannyB] #8304203 06/25/21 01:01 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DannyB
I'm not diabetic or have been close, but am curious to check the numbers once in a while. What monitor that doesn't break the bank do you use? I'm curious about A1C as well.

I use One Touch reveal. You can find them on Amazon for as little as 25 dollars

[Linked Image]
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: bill oxner] #8304211 06/25/21 01:07 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Calories in vs calories used. Look it up.

that's what I've been doing. Works for me.

More exercise, no fried foods lower fat intake, less beef and pork, more chicken and fish proteins, low sugar intake and low alcohol.
I don't need BP meds anymore and the weight is coming off.

Atkins works for a lot of people.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8304492 06/25/21 05:28 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
CICO is the only way to lose a weight. Calories in calories out. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain, eat less calories than you burn and you will lose. All the diets people use just try to get you to do this. I don't care which diet tou try or how long you fast, if you eat more calories than you burn you will not lose weight.

[Linked Image]
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: Nathan at Fork] #8304550 06/25/21 06:25 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
CICO is the only way to lose a weight. Calories in calories out. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain, eat less calories than you burn and you will lose. All the diets people use just try to get you to do this. I don't care which diet tou try or how long you fast, if you eat more calories than you burn you will not lose weight.

up

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: Gravytrain] #8304587 06/25/21 07:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gravytrain

up

See?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8304865 06/26/21 12:19 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Started Atkins/Keto/Low-Carb last August, and I have lost 58 pounds. I have stayed on Induction (20 carbs or less per day) the whole time, and have not changed my exercise routine at all. Yes, your weight loss will plateau, mine did at 240 and 212, and in the past 2 weeks I have lost another 3 pounds. I was 212-215 for several months.

Weight went from 267 to 209, blood glucose (The main reason I started it) went from 107 to 82, BP went from 140/90 to 120/70, cholesterol went from 218 to 196, and my waist went from 42 to 36.

The only thing I have purchased is the Atkins book. I don't pay attention to apps, macros, or any of that stuff.

I agree with 7mag 100%. I plan on eating this way the rest of my life.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8304968 06/26/21 02:37 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Truth is most people never learn how to eat.

In and of itself, carbs are not the enemy, inactivity and refined sugar is.

Top athletes intake plenty of carbs. Cameron Haynes eats probably 60% carbs in his diet. You just need to have the activity to justify the carb intake.

People get hooked on fast food, sugary snacks, sweet tea, soft drink and white bread and follow it up by sitting on their [censored] all day & drinking beer in the evening.

Best way isto teach yourself the right way to eat and excercise, and teach your kids. I have kids and I understand how hard it is to maintain healthy diets when kids are part of the equation. I had a 5 year span where I ate like crap, and I felt like crap. At 30 I was in peak physical condition 5 years later I was tired and grouchy all the time and borderline dad bod. Said F-it and quit my 3 energy drink a day habit, started hitting the gym 4-5 days a week and cut out most alcohol, refined sugar and excess carbs. Unsweetened tea and water. Feel effing fantastic and I’m about a month/month and a half away from my 30 year old self again, minus some hair.

People need to just say no to bullshyte food, stop the beer intake, stop drinking soda and all the white bread. Then get off their arse and get into a gym.

Simple formula really. Big pharma don’t give two chits about you and every pill you shove down yours gullet to combat high BP, anxiety, depression etc is just making you sicker

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8305419 06/26/21 06:51 PM
S
SRPI89 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I’m 100% with you, 7mag. I was 6 3’ 265 when I got married in 2010. I stayed there til 2017 when I did your exact diet and picked up the exercise (Orange Theory), and now weigh around 205. I lost my first 25# from diet alone (hadn’t started OTF yet). Keep it up!! No beer is hard, though.

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8305527 06/26/21 08:37 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Portions.

[Linked Image]

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8305532 06/26/21 08:41 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I looked into CICO, but when I went to the web site it stated I needed to pay for a membership? Not sure if this is correct, something about a 28 day trial but I could cancel blah blah blah. A buddy of mine did it and lost 20 lbs.

The big difference is he was only about 15 lbs "overweight" and not morbidly obese, fatt as fuk, my legs are hoofs etc. you get the picture. He is 20 yrs younger and got back to the gym, has no physical ailments etc. I am the opposite. I am 55, a walking Blimp, numerous physical limitations etc. I told him I had looked at this and other diets and he told me quite frankly he did not think it would work for me. The other one I looked hard at was the Mediterranean Keto. MK is way opposite and looked ok but still high carbs (for me) and lots of grains. Carbs and grains are my enemy and have been through life cause I can not control them.

He took in 1500 calories when he first started. He now takes in 1200 calories a day plus works out 5 times a week. The fat he lost he has built into muscle and very toned. Heck I was consuming 1500 calories in snacks alone between chips and Dos XX watching 30 minutes of football. When I started low carb breakfast was 4 eggs, cooked in butter, 4 slices of bacon and half an avocado,

It was very sustaining/filling for me. 3 squares per day where I just reduced my carbs to less then 50 per day. After time I reduced to less then 20 carbs (kinda like Atkins 20). If I had to do 1200 to 1500 calories per day, I think I would be hungry, like all the time. That's me though and I only know and can speak of me. My appetite is no where close to what it use to be. Breakfast now is usually a hard boiled egg and a sausage patty.

Everyone's metabolism is tweeky and different. What may work for one person may not work for another. I hate counting calories etc. I have always walked for so called exercise. Some gym stuff I can't do more so right now recouping from shoulder surgery so I am limited to what I do. Fasting is basically skipping breakfast, that's it. The times I did it if I had dinner at 6 PM I would skip breakfast and eat a hardy high protein/fat lunch at noon. Between noon and 8 PM was my window to "eat", but it was 2 filling meals.

Do what works for you and hopefully you can stick with it, this be on a low carb, low calorie or whatever diet plan you take on. It's all about better health and living longer with less health issues, imo.

Last edited by 7mag; 06/26/21 09:07 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: bill oxner] #8305535 06/26/21 08:45 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Portions.

That can be the problem Ox. You seem to be a smaller male in size. Where you can maybe eat a bowl of cereal, half an orange and a glass of milk it would take me 3 good size bowls of cereal, half gallon of milk, 2 apples and an orange. I would be starving if it were calorie restricted to lets say 1200 calories per day.

[Linked Image]
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: SRPI89] #8305539 06/26/21 08:48 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SRPI89
I’m 100% with you, 7mag. I was 6 3’ 265 when I got married in 2010. I stayed there til 2017 when I did your exact diet and picked up the exercise (Orange Theory), and now weigh around 205. I lost my first 25# from diet alone (hadn’t started OTF yet). Keep it up!! No beer is hard, though.

Bourbon and Skinny mixers, the Nectar of the Gods flehan Beer was hard but lots of carbs. Whiskey now but in very slight occasions as well. The liver is feeling better now not having to process the beer and sugars grin

[Linked Image]
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: Nathan at Fork] #8305543 06/26/21 08:51 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I don't care about calories.

I eat a heavy meat with fats, I avoid anything with sugar and don't eat carbs like bread or white vegetables. I don't drink beer/wine and will do Whiskey or Tequila when I drink

After a few weeks you stop getting hungry, and you will loose the hunger pains where you get irritable. The fat in the food is what keep you feeling full.

I can easily fast from 6pm till noon time the next day, and when I have lunch the food just taste better.

This is not a diet this is a lifestyle for me.

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: RedRanger] #8305549 06/26/21 09:04 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I eat a heavy meat with fats, I avoid anything with sugar and don't eat carbs like bread or white vegetables. I don't drink beer/wine and will do Whiskey or Tequila when I drink

After a few weeks you stop getting hungry, and you will loose the hunger pains where you get irritable. The fat in the food is what keep you feeling full.

I can easily fast from 6pm till noon time the next day, and when I have lunch the food just taste better.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^110% banana

[Linked Image]
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8305552 06/26/21 09:17 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
boxing

[Linked Image]

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: RedRanger] #8305669 06/27/21 12:36 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I have been fasting too. I eat what I want one meal a day within reason, heavy on proteins and fats, with vegetables. Then I am good for 18-24 hours. If I want beer, I drink beer. Must be something to the fasting, dropped 5 pounds this week.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8306719 06/28/21 01:04 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

CICO here.
Already lost 10 lbs.
Old clothes fit again.

I have 20 more to go.

1200-1700 calories per day.
Old guys like me don't need more than that.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8307309 06/28/21 10:59 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Intermittent fasting and cutting out gluten have really been game changers for me.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: The truth on carbs [Re: 7mag] #8307650 06/29/21 12:28 PM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Congrats on the weight loss.
After my hernia surgery I blew up like a balloon. I gave up nothing but sugars and breads(processed foods), and try to minimize my carb intake as much as possible. In the last 15 months I’ve lost 127 pounds and my A1C went from so high their machine couldn’t read it(over 14) down to 6.5. I’ll find out today if I even need to keep taking the Metformin and farxiga. Coincidentally, my blood pressure went from “ready to explode” to me only needing to take a 12.5mg valsartan every other day. Hopefully that’ll change today as well.
Never thought that simply eating right would cure my diabetes and high blood pressure, as well as make me feel tons better.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 06/29/21 01:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide