C
does not surprise me, the black bear population is on the rise

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8293790 06/14/21 01:02 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
bang

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8293824 06/14/21 01:29 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
This bearly ever happens.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8294571 06/14/21 10:00 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
roflmao Skinner

Bobby Barnett

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8295661 06/15/21 09:55 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8296120 06/16/21 12:26 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

How so? That link says they were attacked while sleeping in their tent and didn't do anything wrong.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8296149 06/16/21 12:59 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Probably did wrong by sleeping where bears live and are looking for their next meal.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: SherpaPhil] #8296986 06/17/21 02:13 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

How so? That link says they were attacked while sleeping in their tent and didn't do anything wrong.

They were camping in an isolated location. Both parties went to sleep in the tent at the same time...in bear country. That is sort of like going to bed with all your doors and windows unlocked in a sketchy part of town. Tents afford you no protection from bears. They claim the attack happened fast, right? Everything happens fast when you are ASLEEP.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8297326 06/17/21 01:43 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

They were camping in an isolated location. Both parties went to sleep in the tent at the same time...in bear country. That is sort of like going to bed with all your doors and windows unlocked in a sketchy part of town. Tents afford you no protection from bears. They claim the attack happened fast, right? Everything happens fast when you are ASLEEP.

I know a lot of people that hunt in grizzly country. They don’t stay up all night taking shifts. Kind of a strange idea really.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: ducknbass] #8297358 06/17/21 02:07 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ducknbass

I know a lot of people that hunt in grizzly country. They don’t stay up all night taking shifts. Kind of a strange idea really.

Agreed. I have never heard of sleeping in shifts, not sleeping in a tent, not hunting or camping in isolation.all while in bear country. I have been in bear country many a times, never did any of those you suggest. I would be surprised to find more than 1% of all North American hunters and backcountry backpackers that do any of this.

Maybe the better statement would have been, “this would have been preventable if they never left the inside of their home or never got out of their car”. I could agree with that. Once outside, any where in bear country, populated or isolated you are now at risk of a bear attack. In some places the more populated camp grounds or rural towns put you at higher risk than the isolated trails off the beaten path as bears are accustomed to humans and associate them or their surroundings with food. So, not too sure that theory holds water either. The only agreeable statement is that being isolated does make it more difficult to get help quickly.

Regarding the story above, from what is reported they did nothing wrong compared to anyone else that has been in bear country and not been attacked. They accepted the risk of being outdoors and that is the major risk in my opinion. Isolation delayed the access to medical attention but not necessarily the reason they were attacked.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8297386 06/17/21 02:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

In the US An estimated 41.76 million people went camping in 2019. In Canada 5.7 million people.

Only feasible added prevention I see is if they had packed a electric fence. Bear attacks in tents is rarer than a bear attacks on trails. Your take is interesting, you basically exclude camping every where but the three states in the US that have confirmed no bears.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8297514 06/17/21 04:34 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Probably best to just stay home if you are that afraid of sleeping in bear country.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8297714 06/17/21 08:37 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

In the US An estimated 41.76 million people went camping in 2019. In Canada 5.7 million people.

Only feasible added prevention I see is if they had packed a electric fence. Bear attacks in tents is rarer than a bear attacks on trails. Your take is interesting, you basically exclude camping every where but the three states in the US that have confirmed no bears.

Actually, I don't. I never suggested to not camp anywhere. Just because a state has bears doesn't mean bears range over the entire state, LOL, like Texas. You live in the Metroplex. When did you see the last bear there?

I am just saying the attack was preventable. That people are too naive, lazy, or whatever, to take precautions, that is on them. Attacks on campers in tents are rare, so you are suggesting playing the odds. Playing the odds does not make sleeping in bear country (where there is known bear activity) safe, it just means playing the odds. The issue at hand isn't the frequency of attacks, but the ramifications of being attacked.

SherpaPhil claims the campers did nothing wrong. So let's assume they hung all their food in a tree at an appropriately safe distance, had changed out of all of their dirty clothes they were wearing while doing food prep and put on clean clothes, didn't have any tooth paste or anything else like that in the tent, but you know what they did have in the tent? They had people in the tent. People are food, or potential food. They also had a tent, which alone being in an isolated location, may have simply attracted the attention of the bear. Bears are curious investigative animals

Yes, these campers were somewhat savvy. They had "bear deterrents" with them. Bear spray is not a great option inside the tent when the bear is outside the tent, LOL.

As described, the "attack" was not predatory in nature. The bear found the tent and started collapsing it....as bears tend to do when they investigate tents. No doubt that scared the hell out of the occupants who probably were not silent in their fears, surprising the curious bear and as often happens in surprise encounters, the bear acted defensively in the encounter and vacated the area.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8298942 06/19/21 03:07 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Bud you need to get enlightened. "Totally preventable" means staying home, not visiting Alaska at all.

What we have here is basically bad luck that outdoors people take the chance on. Me and my son will be elk hunting in DENSE Grizz country this sept in Montana. We will take all precautions but we accept we just might stumble upon the wrong bear at the wrong time. I highly doubt we will be clinging cow bells while hunting or talking out loud. While I agree most attacks can/could be preventable.....sometimes its just not your day.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8299262 06/19/21 06:48 PM
B
bjh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
On my bear hunting trips i always have some one with me, i carry a 44 mag.. if we see a bear and it see's us i just shoot them in the knee then i run!!!!! scared

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8299292 06/19/21 07:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Actually, I don't. I never suggested to not camp anywhere. Just because a state has bears doesn't mean bears range over the entire state, LOL, like Texas. You live in the Metroplex. When did you see the last bear there?

I am just saying the attack was preventable. That people are too naive, lazy, or whatever, to take precautions, that is on them. Attacks on campers in tents are rare, so you are suggesting playing the odds. Playing the odds does not make sleeping in bear country (where there is known bear activity) safe, it just means playing the odds. The issue at hand isn't the frequency of attacks, but the ramifications of being attacked.

SherpaPhil claims the campers did nothing wrong. So let's assume they hung all their food in a tree at an appropriately safe distance, had changed out of all of their dirty clothes they were wearing while doing food prep and put on clean clothes, didn't have any tooth paste or anything else like that in the tent, but you know what they did have in the tent? They had people in the tent. People are food, or potential food. They also had a tent, which alone being in an isolated location, may have simply attracted the attention of the bear. Bears are curious investigative animals

Yes, these campers were somewhat savvy. They had "bear deterrents" with them. Bear spray is not a great option inside the tent when the bear is outside the tent, LOL.

As described, the "attack" was not predatory in nature. The bear found the tent and started collapsing it....as bears tend to do when they investigate tents. No doubt that scared the hell out of the occupants who probably were not silent in their fears, surprising the curious bear and as often happens in surprise encounters, the bear acted defensively in the encounter and vacated the area.

You are 100% right. If you never want to get in a car wreck then you should never ride in a car, it's the only preventable way to not be in a car wreck. Although the car wreck is even higher odds then of having a bear attack in a tent.

Your preventable scenario only exists in areas that are 100% certifiable vacant of bears. There are bears with in 70 miles of DFW outskirts so its with in reason one could actually show up. Likely no, but not out of reason on the north and northeast boundaries.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8299380 06/19/21 09:58 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
LOL, laying on the ground, asleep, in a nylon bag and hoping something doesn't happen to you and then folks claim it wasn't preventable. I guess the victim mentality is everywhere.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8299417 06/19/21 10:34 PM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
LOL, laying on the ground, asleep, in a nylon bag and hoping something doesn't happen to you and then folks claim it wasn't preventable. I guess the victim mentality is everywhere.

i agree

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8299489 06/20/21 12:21 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

No, just not cowards.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8300544 06/21/21 03:16 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Your" preventable" solution is I guess to stay home and not partake in the outdoors? I mean really...you are correct by saying it was preventable but then you really offer no solutions WHILE BEING IN THE OUTDOORS....STAY HOME is your solution. Do you go fishing on a boat? Did you know literally 100% of boating accidents are preventable? So your going to stay home and not go fishing out on the lake because there are a few idiots driving around the lake?

Not all bear attacks are preventable (while in the outdoors in known bear country, whether you are hunting, fishing, hiking, camping etc) which you are implying. MOST ARE....but not all. And from the evidence on the attach this thread is about, other than staying home this attach seemed to be not preventable.

* lets never go to a baseball game because you might get hit with a line drive, which would be preventable if you would have stayed home.
* lets not go elk hunting cause you might stumble upon a bear guarding a kill and get attached, but was preventable if you would just stay home.
* Lets never drive to family get together because you might get killed in a car accident, which would have been preventable if you just didn't go.

Like the bunny in the battery commercial....I can keep going and going. And in every one of the scenarios you can do everything right in your power but something really bad could happen to you. And all are preventable....IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO ENJOY LIFE

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: lost again] #8300606 06/21/21 10:40 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Someone reads too many westerns. “I’ll take the first watch”

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8301222 06/21/21 11:40 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

I got to give it to you. You won’t shut up I mean back down when wrong.

Re: Alaska bear attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8302188 06/23/21 02:56 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Interesting. Well there it is folks. Stay home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide