Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Going rate? #8294642 06/14/21 11:02 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
So...let's turn the tables a bit on the "Looking for a family-friendly lease" and ask...what are you willing to pay, PER ACRE (you pick, and please supply the number of hunters you're thinking about, plus your family/guest ideas, hunting on your tags, etc.), for a deer lease, western edge of the Edwards Plateau, 15 miles north of IH10. water and electricity, low-fence, 1000+ acres, western Kimble/eastern Sutton Counties? You supply blinds, feeders (including corn) , and feed pens as you see fit, as this will probably have cattle on it. Protein feeders are up to you. Year-round access, but request advanced notification, each time please, March 1st - September 31st. WT deer, plenty of turkey, occasional axis, and a butt-load of hogs. 'Not saying it's anywhere close to a reality yet, but, if you have the time, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8294655 06/14/21 11:10 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
From a landowner's perspective this will be interesting.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8294656 06/14/21 11:12 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thanks for pointing that out.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8294671 06/14/21 11:28 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quick edit, that would of been embarrassing. smile
Ill offer some insight to your request but no time now. Im curious how hypothetical this is.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Going rate? [Re: freerange] #8294696 06/14/21 11:47 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by freerange
Im curious how hypothetical this is.

I'm trying to do the numbers on a place I have a line on.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8294749 06/15/21 12:34 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
How many deer allowed per hunter and type of deer allowed for each hunter? Quality and number of deer on the place? Buck to doe ratio? How many axis per hunter and type of axis per hunter? Any other exotics? How many turkey per hunter? Any dove hunting?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Going rate? [Re: stxranchman] #8294796 06/15/21 01:09 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by stxranchman
How many deer allowed per hunter and type of deer allowed for each hunter? Quality and number of deer on the place? Buck to doe ratio? How many axis per hunter and type of axis per hunter? Any other exotics? How many turkey per hunter? Any dove hunting?

For the sake of argument...1. 1 trophy, 1 cull, 2 does per hunter. 2. No idea yet. 3. No idea yet. 4. All the axis they want. (Yes, you read that right.) 5. Don't count on other exotics. 6. Each hunter can fill all turkey tags. And 6. If They want to sit there and sweat in September for a couple of birds, I won't stop them.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8294814 06/15/21 01:19 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would not lease it by the acre but by the gun. That way the number of hunters is the same every year and that would put less pressure on the land. If it were my land I would not do it any less than $3500 per gun + electricity. I would let them have one trophy(mature with 8+ pts) and one management/cull buck + 2 or 3 does(yr to yr call).

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8294874 06/15/21 02:18 AM
S
Stetsonoverton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
He prolly can get 15-20$ an acre in that country if i was looking to lease
I’d do 3500-4K a guy and put 4-5 guys tops prolly try to have all bow hunters only as well

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8294915 06/15/21 03:03 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I’d be willing to go $3500 maybe even $4k. Up to 6 hunters with immediate family (spouse + minor kiddos)welcome to hunt off hunter allotment. Game numbers are more than fair as well as amenities mentioned.

Last edited by Fltmedic; 06/15/21 03:31 AM. Reason: Didn’t answer all questions

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295209 06/15/21 02:54 PM
HK9mm Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Any anthrax issues from a couple years back?

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295221 06/15/21 03:04 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ok, I like really big places and I like a lot of acres per hunter. THAT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE, so some wont agree and maybe I should keep quiet but Ill play along and give Creek some of my insight.
I do not know the area enough to offer a good price per acre, but lets say $10 for 1000acres is $10000.
>>ONE GUY could pay the $10000 and put several feeders and cameras and would have a decent chance at maybe finding a big buck and killing him. WAY more money than most anyone would pay for that country, but the number of acres would be best bet IF IF IF a guy was serious about Trophy hunting. One guy would probably need some help to kill enough does and maybe culls to keep population in check.
>>TWO GUYS could pay $5000 each and have a ratio of 500 acres per guy. If you wanted a fair chance at managing for a decent buck with some regularity then this would be the most realistic affordable option if you were Trophy minded at all.
>>THREE GUYS could pay $3333 each and have a ratio of 333 acre per guy. IMO this is the most hunters that should be on the place to allow for any chance at a decent buck for everyone on any kind of semi regular basis.
>>FOUR GUYS could pay $2500 each and have a ratio of 250 acres per guy. IMO this many hunters on any kind of year in and year out basis will not have enough country to come close to killing a decent buck with regularity. Of course, there are a TON of guys that would love to lease this place at 2500 each and probably be happy with killing whatever bucks presented themselves, along with does, pigs, coyotes, birds, fish etc while enjoying friends and alcohol. Absolutely nothing wrong with those type of groups, but for me I just always like to look at the scenarios that would allow to manage a place for the highest chance of having a large number of MATURE bucks, so I like less hunters and more acres.

To Creek or the landowner/landmanager, I see no reason why you would want to allow anymore than 3 guys. With the lease market today, you would have no trouble finding 3 to pay 3300 each, so why put more guys on? The increased number of guys just lends itself to overhunting. I also think there is an issue to consider when the hunters are paying what most would consider below the going rate per person.
Then of course this whole scenario is based on $10 an acre and I really do not know if that is close. My main point was to show my opinion on how many acres per person to manage for mature bucks and the pricing is a separate consideration.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295225 06/15/21 03:09 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
$3500 X 5 = $17,500 ----------------- $17,500 / 1000 ----- = $17.50 an acre -----------all responders so far are in this ballpark.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295324 06/15/21 04:34 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
If you do something like this on owned land, make sure to tell your insurance agent as there will be the need to add on coverage for Recreational Land Use Liability.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295372 06/15/21 05:13 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thanks for the responses guys. That gives me a ballpark idea. up

(BTW, no anthrax in this area.)

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295525 06/15/21 07:27 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
If it comes to fruition please keep me in mind. I may still be looking at that point.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295529 06/15/21 07:32 PM
T
TXHunter0619 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Ditto FLtmedic if you're looking to add more than 1!

tough times don't last, tough people do
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295552 06/15/21 07:45 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My opinion will probably differ but I’d be trying to keep the head count down. If the lease was 20k id put 2-3 guys max and sell some doe/cull hunts to make up a little difference or possibly a few exotics if you have enough. I like room to roam, and sometimes you need to step outside the box to make things happen. Ive sold doe/cull hunts on leases before to do this exact thing so it works I assure you

I’m not saying you would do it but from my experience lease “Managers” always seems to get a free or discounted lease spot which I find to be BS personally but hey some guys feel like their the man lol.. I’d take 2-3 good friends and make a heck of a lease out of it and split the duty of lease manager that way no one guys in charge.. Hunting’s suppose to be fun and somewhere along the line a lot of guys forgot this by over complicating everything.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295569 06/15/21 08:01 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I am more in line with ol thumper on this one, prob look at around 20/acre and split is 2-3 ways max. with that area could prob go about 6500 per gun and max 3 guns as another way to split the cost.

The more numbers the more the LO is going to be annoyed with too many calls/notifications of people coming in....as a LO that would drive me batty, but then again, I wouldn't lease my land so theres that.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295600 06/15/21 08:45 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
they gonna stay in tents and RVs or what? Makes a difference

Re: Going rate? [Re: Hudbone] #8295629 06/15/21 09:25 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
they gonna stay in tents and RVs or what? Makes a difference

I agree, it appears no facilities. Which isnt necessarily huge but factor it in.
Ive already posted about going with fewer hunters and pay more each guy which is in line with Thumper and TxBuck. I also said im not sure what that country is worth but I think this $15 and $20 per acre is WAY OUTA LINE. I have two great leases so I dont have a dog in the fight but I dont think that country is worth near that much money. If Im wrong please quote me some examples and Ill gladly admit Im wrong, cause as I said, it really doesnt matter to me. I have two separate leases that are closer to metroplex/civilization and they have some facilities and intangibles and have a proven record of very big bucks killed and we arent anywhere near that price per acre. Over 800 acres per hunter ratio on one and over 650 acre per hunter on another.

Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295668 06/15/21 10:00 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I appreciate the discussion. It's just "pie in the sky", extremely early stage of consideration right now. This is not about my current ranch, that I love dearly and honestly, probably have enough to deal with on it.

I think it's best to come at it from a "boondocking" perspective, as far as facilities are concerned. I'm assuming water and electricity. Believe me, at my age, I know my first concern would be "Where am I gonna sleep and where am I gonna poop." I pictured hunter-provided travel trailers. (Of course, as an LO, I'd want fairly new trailers that could actually leave the place someday, if hunters move on or the situation changes. I've seen, first hand, the trailers and other "hooches", to borrow a term from a very dear friend and Vietnam vet, that have been pulled there to die. No landowner wants that.)

And, I have to agree, as much as I'd like to have 6500.00 a hunter (and keep it to 3 guys), I don't believe anyone in the area is coming anywhere near that. Hell, I wouldn't pay that.

No "lease manager" bs for me. If I can't find 3 to 4 guys that I can get along with and work with on how the place should be, I don't have any business doing it.

Re: Going rate? [Re: freerange] #8295669 06/15/21 10:01 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange
Ok, I like really big places and I like a lot of acres per hunter. THAT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE, so some wont agree and maybe I should keep quiet but Ill play along and give Creek some of my insight.
I do not know the area enough to offer a good price per acre, but lets say $10 for 1000acres is $10000.
>>ONE GUY could pay the $10000 and put several feeders and cameras and would have a decent chance at maybe finding a big buck and killing him. WAY more money than most anyone would pay for that country, but the number of acres would be best bet IF IF IF a guy was serious about Trophy hunting. One guy would probably need some help to kill enough does and maybe culls to keep population in check.
>>TWO GUYS could pay $5000 each and have a ratio of 500 acres per guy. If you wanted a fair chance at managing for a decent buck with some regularity then this would be the most realistic affordable option if you were Trophy minded at all.
>>THREE GUYS could pay $3333 each and have a ratio of 333 acre per guy. IMO this is the most hunters that should be on the place to allow for any chance at a decent buck for everyone on any kind of semi regular basis.
>>FOUR GUYS could pay $2500 each and have a ratio of 250 acres per guy. IMO this many hunters on any kind of year in and year out basis will not have enough country to come close to killing a decent buck with regularity. Of course, there are a TON of guys that would love to lease this place at 2500 each and probably be happy with killing whatever bucks presented themselves, along with does, pigs, coyotes, birds, fish etc while enjoying friends and alcohol. Absolutely nothing wrong with those type of groups, but for me I just always like to look at the scenarios that would allow to manage a place for the highest chance of having a large number of MATURE bucks, so I like less hunters and more acres.

To Creek or the landowner/landmanager, I see no reason why you would want to allow anymore than 3 guys. With the lease market today, you would have no trouble finding 3 to pay 3300 each, so why put more guys on? The increased number of guys just lends itself to overhunting. I also think there is an issue to consider when the hunters are paying what most would consider below the going rate per person.
Then of course this whole scenario is based on $10 an acre and I really do not know if that is close. My main point was to show my opinion on how many acres per person to manage for mature bucks and the pricing is a separate consideration.

What Freerange said - so many factors to consider. As discussed on this forum for years, always boils down to what the paying hunter is looking for? Laid back, meat, multiple guest, etc. then that fits one type of lease. On the other hand if the hunter is looking to grow bigger deer, shoot trophies, etc. then that fits a totally different type of lease. Issues arise when there is a cross over between the two -

In my experience and at the end of the day it is the LO who determines what type of lease it will be by the guidelines that they set and the price they ask.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295683 06/15/21 10:14 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
So your saying just because you wouldn’t pay it nobody would? From a LO perspective that’s pretty idiotic thinking, it’s all about the Benjamin’s and theirs an a$$ for every seat I assure you. If I were to lease any of ours it would 100% be all about the money, sounds crappy but at the end of the day money and not friendships pay the electric bills..

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 06/15/21 10:15 PM.
Re: Going rate? [Re: Creekrunner] #8295686 06/15/21 10:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
In that part of the state 2 or 3 hunters are not going to be able manage the place correctly...not enough tags. If the lease hunters are going to feed protein and invest in it long term then they are going to want to manage it. If you do that few of hunters(2 or 3) then they are going to have to bring "guests" to shoot off enough deer. Are the lease hunters going to pay extra for that privilege of allowing guests to hunt the ranch? Is the current landowner going to allow it? I know of one lease that just downsized from a lot of hunters to fewer hunters due to "guests" showing up year round in huge numbers. The owner did not like it and made the decision to downsize to fewer hunters with stricter rules on guests. In that area of the state to keep the deer numbers stable(even if they are at carrying capacity now) you will have to shoot a lot of deer on 1000+ acres in that part of the state. For example, 1 buck per 2 does and a deer to 10 acres is 100 deer. 66 does with a 50% fawn crop this year would need to remove 33 deer this year to keep the numbers the same. 3 hunters will not have enough tags, 5 hunters will have 25 tags. This not even factoring in exotics or livestock grazing pressure. $10/acre might work in any of the state with lower deer numbers and better deer quality but not in that area of the state with high deer densities. In the end, the owner get ask what he wants and put a limit on the number of lease spots. Year round use, with a 5 deer limit, unlimited exotics, unlimited hogs, possible javelina and up to 4 turkey is going to demand a premium in todays market. As a landowner, I hope he gets what he wants for it and gets a good group of hunters. As a hunter I would want a good landowner who is willing to work with me/my group. I would want at a fair market price based on what I got in return. As a landowner I am stilling paying the taxes, doing improvements(if electric is in place it cost money, same with water wells), rutted up roads and creek crossing need to be repaired before and after the season, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide