Forums46
Topics537,777
Posts9,729,029
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8292328 06/12/21 11:28 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This is not my advice but what happens or at least used to happen around here. On small places. You feed as much corn as you can. You shoot every buck you see but don't shoot any does. That way the neighbors bucks will be drawn to your place to breed your does because there are no longer any bucks there to do it.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8292435 06/12/21 01:54 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I'm not sure what is considered a small place...but if you are hunting 30 acres or less than 30 acres and everyone else around you are hunting 30 acres ....the whole area is probably over hunted and shot out of does and bucks. If you start with a good density of 10 acres per deer then each place will have 3 deer..if my math is right.lol Now if you and another hunter harvested a doe each and one buck....game over..and if everyone else does this then you don't have any deer to hunt. So I would consider having a meeting and decide how to protect the herd...whatever that would mean to all of you.Good Luck

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8292591 06/12/21 05:37 PM
L
Lifted 09 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
84 acres in SE Kansas ..... MINIMAL PRESSURE

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8293342 06/13/21 04:14 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
food, feeders and other means to keep them coming, and stay out as much as you can

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: RedSnake] #8297374 06/17/21 02:22 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RedSnake
Feed something different than the other ranches around you — roasted soy, cotton seed, peanuts etc. This is what I did for my 50 acre place in flower mound and it would hold the deer on my place or at least draw them in regularly

^^^ this....and we have large gravity feeders so they can eat anytime. For the record, I've never shot a deer in a feed pen so them coming at night is fine...but they're making their way to and from during legal shooting hours...find those trails and set up. I also keep the pressure to a minimum. Oh and hunt mid-day every now and then. You'll be surprised what's up and moving at noon.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8297392 06/17/21 02:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I once hunted a somewhat long and narrow tract that was no more than 500 yards across with a mixture of pasture and hardwoods. I focused by attention on the hardwoods for two reasons - It had some decent acorn flats and deer used the area for cover when passing through. It became a no brainer when I found a washout under the fence that deer had apparently been using for years. I killed a spike and doe near that washout the first season without ever seeing the need to bother with a feeder since the landowner kept cows on the property.

Footnote: I'll never forget the time I watched a nice buck go running through that washout chasing a lesser buck despite having a nice rack. I would have thought the size of his rack would slow him down while ducking under the fence. It didn't in the least.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/17/21 02:51 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8297415 06/17/21 03:05 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Food and all the other BS is nothing more than Tom foolery and everybody around you is doing/trying the exact same thing you are, if your place is small and the areas around you are being hunted hard as well the absolute best thing you can do is completely change when you hunt. Deer are most definitely not stupid and pattern hunters as much as they pattern the deer. Hunt from 10- 2 or skip the morning and hunt from noon till dark. I’ve killed 80% or more of my big deer after 10am and before 3pm and their is most definitely a reason for this so stop and think about what I just said and let that sink in a minute. All we has hunters can do is try to trip up the big bucks and think outside the box, when everyone else is heading in for breakfast they push bedded deer out they never seen, plus big mature deer move a lot more than most people realize during the middle of the day, if you stop sitting all your cameras up in the obvious well traveled spots and grid search areas with only a track here and thr you will be shocked what you find. I sit up dozens of cameras in out of the way places, I don’t get a lot of pics on most of them but I find big bucks that have never been seen and will absolutely not go any where near the rest of the deer travel routes other than the rut.

Some may agree or disagree with this but if their are mature bucks around your property they can be killed this way, I have the antlers to prove it..

If you own the property that’s another thing entirely,, I would be hing cutting trees and making bedding areas and not put a feeder up at all. They draw in the pigs regardless of any pens and the pigs push deer out period. Hing cut trees are the best tool I’ve ever used period,,, bedding areas are the absolute most overlooked tool hunters can use for drawing In deer.

Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: Ol Thumper] #8297434 06/17/21 03:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Food and all the other BS is nothing more than Tom foolery and everybody around you is doing/trying the exact same thing you are, if your place is small and the areas around you are being hunted hard as well the absolute best thing you can do is completely change when you hunt. Deer are most definitely not stupid and pattern hunters as much as they pattern the deer. Hunt from 10- 2 or skip the morning and hunt from noon till dark. I’ve killed 80% or more of my big deer after 10am and before 3pm and their is most definitely a reason for this so stop and think about what I just said and let that sink in a minute. All we has hunters can do is try to trip up the big bucks and think outside the box, when everyone else is heading in for breakfast they push bedded deer out they never seen, plus big mature deer move a lot more than most people realize during the middle of the day, if you stop sitting all your cameras up in the obvious well traveled spots and grid search areas with only a track here and thr you will be shocked what you find. I sit up dozens of cameras in out of the way places, I don’t get a lot of pics on most of them but I find big bucks that have never been seen and will absolutely not go any where near the rest of the deer travel routes other than the rut.

Some may agree or disagree with this but if their are mature bucks around your property they can be killed this way, I have the antlers to prove it..

You're preaching to the choir. Still, I would suggest getting there early so that you don't get busted by deer that have already bedded after having been chased off by hunter activity on neighboring properties. Just stay at least until noon so that you catch deer starting to move once they realize (after hearing them) the hunters next door have left.

I took the buck below in the Davy Crockett NF one Opening Day morning in an area that was at the edge of listening distance from a road that other hunters were using to access their lease. The road was one the FS had given their landowner to use to reach a separate piece of his property. It was about 10:30 or about 45 minutes after the returning ATV traffic had stopped that he came slipping by my ladder stand. A little Browning A-bolt .243 that I would later give to one of my daughters was enough to drop him in his tracks.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/17/21 04:18 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8297927 06/18/21 12:22 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Owning 80 acres has been one of the best decisions I have ever made, and after reading some lease threads confirms it.

Blind faces south towards the feeder, in the valley:
[Linked Image]

Our bedroom window, which faces South, and is a 100 yards north of the blind. I never saw this guy and the wife did not text or call! bang

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: DQ Kid] #8297930 06/18/21 12:26 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Beautiful setup you have there.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Trade Secrets for Successful Hunting on Small Properties [Re: Mr. T.] #8304272 06/25/21 01:49 PM
L
LanceH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by LanceH
I have a question. I hunt a 30 acre property in NE Texas. I am very small limited budget, I do not have any food plots, I do not feed protein but I do try to keep 2 feeders full of regular corn year round. Do you think just regular ol corn will help hold some deer?

Yes and No...........you are not going to "hold" deer on 30 acres, but you can get them in a habit of eating at your feeder.
Also, I would throw out a block of plain old white salt. Some say the deer in east texas do use them. Mine do and at about
$5 at tractor supply, why not try one.
If you want more deer, pen your feeders so that hogs cannot run them away and eat all the corn themselves. But, you said you
were on a budget, so next best thing in my opinion is to feed more in the morning than evening. Example 8 seconds in morning
4 seconds in evening. Morning feeding will be mostly deer, afternoon into the night is mostly coons, hogs then deer.

[b][/b]

I hunt out of pop-up blinds. How can I pen the feeders and still shoot inside the pen from the ground? How do troughs work for protein?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide