Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Durango, CO bear induced fatality #8258478 05/06/21 12:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline OP
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal

“Unfortunately there’s been a second bear induced fatality already this spring and it WAS NOT a grizzly! Black bear attacks on humans are very rare but a Durango, Colorado woman was indeed preyed upon by a sow black bear and her two yearling cubs. The woman’s body was found by her boyfriend after she’d been missing for the better part of last Friday, 4/30 and it is believed that she was walking her dogs when the encounter with the sow and cubs occurred. “

https://blog.eastmans.com/colorado-...;mc_cid=cac581c053&mc_eid=d9b45af572

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8258488 05/06/21 12:52 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Discussing this on another forum and the general consensus is don't walk your dog in bear country. That dog can get you and itself in trouble just by being there, Momma don't play around when she has kid's. I've seen Javalina's go after a dog just because it was there, don't see a mama bear reacting any different. If the dog happens to harass the bear it gets worse, momma charges the dog and it runs back to you with a whole world of hurt behind it. I don't care how big a dog one has, if an angry adult black bear get's a hold of it you have a dead dog.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: HWY_MAN] #8258495 05/06/21 01:00 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Discussing this on another forum and the general consensus is don't walk your dog in bear country. That dog can get you and itself in trouble just by being there, Momma don't play around when she has kid's. I've seen Javalina's go after a dog just because it was there, don't see a mama bear reacting any different. If the dog happens to harass the bear it gets worse, momma charges the dog and it runs back to you with a whole world of hurt behind it. I don't care how big a dog one has, if an angry adult black bear get's a hold of it you have a dead dog.

In Durango, bear country includes Walmart’s parking lot, from experience. CO has had a bear explosion, thus why bear tag is only $100 for non resident. Saw one last year in parking lot, ironically while bear hunting. Was waiting for big o’s and discount to open. Few years back saw one in down town.

Durango ends up with a lot of problem bears from NM that are dropped off at boarder. Buddy has killed a lot of tagged bears just outside Durango

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8258513 05/06/21 01:19 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The quote is right and wrong about black bear attacks. Bear attacks on humans are not common. However, between blacks, browns, grizzlies, and polars, black bear attacks are common.

Yeah, dogs are a safety issue. They are helpful for pointing out threats but also a problem for upsetting bears...but doing what dogs do. Use of dogs to hunt bears isn't uncommon.

However, whether or not the dogs were an issue is unknown. How it was that the bears and victim cross paths is unknown. The most common circumstance for bear attacks is surprise encounters. A sow with cubs is likely much more aggressive than one without. Sometimes after such encounters, the human victim may be eaten.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8258535 05/06/21 01:46 PM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Dogs can certainly get you into trouble. I know of a young student who was staying on a game farm while doing research for her studies. One morning she went for a jog with her rottweiler. A few hours later the dog returned to camp without its owner. They went looking for her and found her body lying next to the road. From the spoor they pieced together what had happened. She and her dog had been jogging together along the road when suddenly the dog left the road and went into the bush where it's spoor mingled with that of a giraffe cow and her calf. The giraffe, wanting to protect her calf, had charged at the dog in an attempt to drive it off. The dog ran for the safety of it's owner who happened to get caught in the crossfire. When the giraffe suddenly came upon the young lady it lashed out and it's powerful kick broke the lady's neck at the base of the skull. She died instantly.

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8258726 05/06/21 04:17 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Sad but hey it is bear country

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8258840 05/06/21 06:23 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I just saw on my morning news feed that there was another death by bear in Calgary Alberta. A 59 year old doctor went out for a run, and didn’t return!!!

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: Blank] #8258854 05/06/21 06:53 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Blank
I just saw on my morning news feed that there was another death by bear in Calgary Alberta. A 59 year old doctor went out for a run, and didn’t return!!!

If it was west side that’s Grizz country and the Canadian grizz populations have exploded

Canada normally has at least one blk bear attack a year

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8258904 05/06/21 08:02 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
A few years ago a ways south of Durango hiking off a mountain just after dark I met up with two bears on an old logging road. One was agitated and ran up the hill off the road, bob around, stand up, then make a false charge to within a few feet up from me. I was giving a play by play over a handheld with my hunting buddy who had just warned me about a bear when he came through the same area. I had a large heavy pack on with my bow strapped over the back of it. I had to give up the road, back down the hill, and use my gps to make a straight line through the woods to our truck. I had watched "The Edge" only a week or two before, so it was an intense hike out having to stop every so often to shine my headlight through the trees behind me to make sure the bear was not following me. Twenty thirty years ago we never saw bears on our yearly fishing trip to CO. Now I encounter at least one every time I go.

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8259003 05/06/21 10:07 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
We have them in downtown Colorado Springs all the time. I see them in my alley all the time, and just cruising down the sidewalk.

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8259208 05/07/21 03:26 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Back in 2005 I went on a fishing trip on the section of the Black River that separates the San Carlos and White Mountain Apache reservations. The area was covered in bears that rarely saw a human. Had a standoff with a huge boar with nothing but a fishing rod in my hand. He had honed in on the cut bait I was using to fish for channel cats. Used the "make yourself look bigger and louder than the bear" technique to chase him off. Damn near didn't work. And damn near pissed my pants.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: Blank] #8259295 05/07/21 11:57 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Fast food!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: HWY_MAN] #8259326 05/07/21 12:46 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Fast food!

Here is a bear shopping behind my favorite restaurant in Colorado Springs. Happened years ago but it's still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io9SxQXcYzo

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8259351 05/07/21 01:07 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
When my grandparents lived in Ruidoso my grandfather regularly shot trash-raiding blackies with a .22 caliber Benjamin pellet rifle. He called them alley rats. Other than that my grandfather was a pretty smart man. lol

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8259354 05/07/21 01:09 PM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Colorado has a lot of color phased black bears. He obviously has learned a few things from observing homeless humans. He is smart enough to choose a shopping cart that has its own roof.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8259376 05/07/21 01:21 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
This reminds me of the time the Dallas Cowboys' HaHa Clinton-Dix almost rode a scooter right into 2 bears in Central Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pIkhbbwlo

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8290120 06/10/21 01:28 AM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

If it was west side that’s Grizz country and the Canadian grizz populations have exploded

Canada normally has at least one blk bear attack a year

Confirmed Grizz

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8290267 06/10/21 06:08 AM
C
cowboyway Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
The victim was the sister of my sisters friend. The dog was a chihuahua.

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: spacejunkie] #8290325 06/10/21 12:01 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by spacejunkie

Fast food!

Here is a bear shopping behind my favorite restaurant in Colorado Springs. Happened years ago but it's still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io9SxQXcYzo

roflmao

That sonofagun hadn't missed too many meals.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8290592 06/10/21 03:40 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Bring back spring bear.

As usual hippies got it hacked and as usual dems are on the wrong side of history. But in 30 years they’ll claim there was a party flip and everyone is distorting the truth.

Re: Durango, CO bear induced fatality [Re: ducknbass] #8290607 06/10/21 03:52 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Bring back spring bear.

As usual hippies got it hacked and as usual dems are on the wrong side of history. But in 30 years they’ll claim there was a party flip and everyone is distorting the truth.

Between summer recreation causing calving issues, excessive sow cub recruitment, restrictive bear hunting regulations and Wolf introduction, hunting season will end up closed before to long in western CO. I bet in 15 years it’s done, or so tag restrictive it’s similar to every unit being 15+ points

Oh and let’s not discount the huge Deer tag number increase to lower populations for a CWD experiment bang

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide