Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need advice #8287519 06/07/21 04:39 PM
H
Horsesandhunting Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
I just bought 80+ acres of wooded rural timberland land in central East Texas. No one has lived on it in the last 100 years though, at some point, someone ran a few head of cattle on it. I will be living on it and keeping my horses on the north end, which is the best flat area for pastureland, where the well is and electrical hookups. I also enjoy hiking, four wheeling and farming; in essence, I bought this land to enjoy it; safely.

The northern neighboring property is about 40 acres, uninhabited and while we were checking the property line, found a feeder and stand within a few yards of the fence, aiming towards a small creek that borders the West side of both properties. We have a small swimming hole we (my kids and grandkids) want to use in that same area.
The line from the feeder to the stand would mean any overshot, is going to be on the NW side of our property and very close to that pond.

I don’t want to be a witch, I hunt too but, I don’t know this person from Adam (it is owned by a land development company) and pour enough alcohol into someone and careless mistakes happen.

We also found a small pop up blind, in decent condition on our property (the previous owner, or rather his daughter, he is deceased, does not hunt, nor have they leased since the timber was planted about 15 years ago), which leads me to believe that someone has also been possibly making use of our property as recently as last season without permission of the owner (goes to mindset).

I don’t want this to turn into a point of contention but, I also want to be able to use my property as I see fit and do so safely. I am a little hesitant that any suggestion by me (new to town) when they show up at hunting season, that for safety reasons they should move that feeder so they are shooting into their own property, might cause blowback.

Heck, just all the noisy building and timber thinning we are going to need to do is probably going to be enough to piss them off when they show up to bait the feeder, especially if they paid money to lease it.

I have thought about putting up a tall “privacy” fence along the entire northern property line just to make the delineation clear and if a stray does head that way maybe slow it down a bit…do you think that would just be poking the bear or ?
I am open to suggestions.

Thank-you

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287532 06/07/21 04:52 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
A privacy fence isn't going to stop a stray round, all it will do is inhibit the person shooting that round from seeing what's hiding behind the curtain. Make friends, let them know you're excited to be there and you're doing some improvements. Drop a hint that your grandkids can't wait to go swimming and fishing at the tank.

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287539 06/07/21 04:56 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
I would start out by finding out who owns the neighboring properties and talk with them if you can. Getting to know your neighbors and them you can be good for you and them.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287550 06/07/21 05:03 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
My first thought is you got you a nice pop-up blind for free.
I'd have taken it right then and there when I found it.

My second thought is that if I were you I'd set multiple cameras out and hide them as best I could. It sounds like the previous owner of the property didn't hunt your place and the neighbors knew that and did!

Once you get pics of them on your property you have the proof needed to call in the either the sheriff's department or the Game Warden and get them involved. If you get a picture of someone that is obviously armed, I'm pretty sure the law will not hesitate to investigate it fully and charge someone!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287559 06/07/21 05:06 PM
H
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
To the north it is a real estate investment firm that owns it. Property to our south and west is owned by a real estate firm out of Houston, backed by the Chinese. To the East, is clover fields. The nearest neighbor is a couple of miles away so all I have is tax records to go by.

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287566 06/07/21 05:11 PM
H
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
I like that camera idea!
Like I said, I hunt (hogs and deer) so not opposed to using land for that, just don't want my horses, my dogs or myself accidentally shot. Also, don't want to cause problems in such a small town (pop 1200).

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287579 06/07/21 05:21 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Just guessing, but bet that whomever was hunting the fence, and possibly the pop up, knew that the property was going unused and decided to treat it as such. Bet once you are there with regularity and they/he/her see activity, the problems go away. To help, assuming there is a fence, grab a can of purple paint and mark every third or fourth post making it clear NO TRESPASSERS. Hopefully, over time, you'll meet whomever is hunting over there, make friends, but also let them know you are there with family and shots over the fence will not be toperated.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287588 06/07/21 05:30 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
leave a note telling whoever finds it to contact you. Do not be afraid of telling your desires as that IS NOT confrontational. You can make it that way, it does not have to be that way. Open and up front is what I will say and that is every single dad umm time - everyone of 'em.

Being afraid of doing that which is right won't get you anywhere. It'll leave you punked.

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287589 06/07/21 05:31 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
PM Max and see what he says.

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287606 06/07/21 05:47 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
How much are the kids going to go swimming Nov -- Jan ------------------ probably none. Small acreages have the problem of overshooting property lines , just a hazard of owning property. Good advice was to make friends with the hunter and depend on his goodwill to be careful. Not much else you can do.

Re: Need advice [Re: kmon11] #8287609 06/07/21 05:51 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kmon1
I would start out by finding out who owns the neighboring properties and talk with them if you can. Getting to know your neighbors and them you can be good for you and them.

Exactly this.

Could be good people. Just need to meet them, and tell them your expectations. If they wanted control of the land, they should have bought it. I had that conversation 8 years ago.

Polite, but clear and firm.

e.t.a. Fences make good neighbors. Rebuild what needs it, repair what needs it. Purple paint the posts every fourth or fifth post. I did this, and it has been sending a clear message. Years ago dove hunters hopped into my side, when there was little left of a four strand Barb wire fence. A friend of mine told them to get back on the other side, and that they were trespassing. I built new fence on that line, five foot tall, six strand wire, and sprayed purple pain on the tops of the posts. Never again has anyone crossed the fence.

Last edited by FiremanJG; 06/07/21 05:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287611 06/07/21 05:56 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Reading comprehension skills vary, but I did pick up on this - ". . . I don’t know this person from Adam (it is owned by a land development company) . . .

Re: Need advice [Re: Hudbone] #8287614 06/07/21 05:59 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
PM Max and see what he says.

roflmao

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287641 06/07/21 06:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Wish you well like others have said, find out who owns the properties reach out to them and get them your contact info.

I guess some folks just never think about it or dont know how to deal with it. My new neighbor took down over 900 foot of my fence and never bothered to try and contact me. I wanted to ring his neck at first, but calmer heads usually prevail. Ive contacted him and he seems to be a good man, and his plan is a benefit to me, but it just would have been nice to be let known whats happening on my own property. I got in contact with him quickly and easily, he could have done the same.

Not the first way I would go about it but if you cannot get ahold of the people then contacty the game warden with a concern about a bullet crossing property lines may be an avenue. If it is owned by a developer, I can definitly see them wanting to avoid any liability associated with a gun/accident etc. and may be easier to get in touch with someone also. Look at the tax records for who owns it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287656 06/07/21 06:38 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I'll bet that development company would allow you to take down that stand and feeder. Get it in writing if so.

Re: Need advice [Re: booskay] #8287657 06/07/21 06:39 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by booskay
How much are the kids going to go swimming Nov -- Jan ------------------ probably none. Small acreages have the problem of overshooting property lines , just a hazard of owning property. Good advice was to make friends with the hunter and depend on his goodwill to be careful. Not much else you can do.

You mean they actual hunt deer only in deer season in East Texas? What about hog hunting year round or turkey hunting?

Like many have posted congrats on buying land. Nothing is more satisfying than owning land. Contacting the neighbor is sound advice and leaving them a note on the blind with your phone number is a one way. It could be the current landowner does not even know about the hunting blind on his land also. If you are doing some improvements look at having all the fence lines cleared so you can access or drive all them when you need to to. One thing I did before buying land was to find out who the neighbors were, so I could do my own research on them before I bought the land.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Need advice [Re: booskay] #8287680 06/07/21 06:55 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

Sorry, I disagree

That is the hazards of morons that should have weapons in their hands....EVER!

A 40 acre tract such as the OP said the neighbor has next to them is enough property to make dame sure you set your stand and feeder up so that there is no chance of a projectile leaving your property.
It is up to the person(s) hunting/shooting on that property to set it up right and be responsible.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287682 06/07/21 06:59 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Welcome to property ownership

Re: Need advice [Re: booskay] #8287684 06/07/21 07:01 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Small acreages have the problem of overshooting property lines , just a hazard of owning property. Good advice was to make friends with the hunter and depend on his goodwill to be careful. Not much else you can do.

I’m lookin to lease your neighbors house in the city. I enjoy shooting & your gonna have to put up with some stray rounds. I’m sure you won’t mind.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 06/07/21 07:02 PM.
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287708 06/07/21 07:21 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Probably poachers on both the tracts. No one is around ,so free lease.

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287719 06/07/21 07:30 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have 5 neighbors. I get along with 2, don’t know 1 and the other 2 and I have issues. They don’t appreciate me standing my ground re property rights and paying their agreed share of fences.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287720 06/07/21 07:31 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Find the owners of the adjourning tracts and see if they will lease it to you at a reasonable price.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287741 06/07/21 07:48 PM
H
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
Thank-you all.

No, kids won't be swimming in January smile but may be fishing. We also have a small tract of land, North of Austin that used to be the boonies 20 years ago and know all of the neighbors and had worked out hunting arrangements. It's just gotten too dang crowded here anymore. We have this property "posted" after a church group bought next door and created a "retreat". Went to my pasture several times to find strangers and their kids messing with the horses.
hammer

I think we will try a couple of things y'all have suggested because the hubby will be living at the current house for work and I will be living out there for work (I own a small timber and ag business) and building, so being a woman alone out there, keeping up neighborly relations are a good thing!

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287789 06/07/21 08:40 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I didn't read all posts, so this may have already been mentioned, but the first thing I would do is post the property- put up lots of signs, especially where the feeder is located. Then with game cameras up and catching trespassers is much easier to prosecute if the land is posted. Secondly, as far as the pop up, I would gather it up and drive a t-post in the ground where is was saying that this property is off limits and if you want your pop up back to call you. I doubt that you will get a call but if you do the fact that they called will be proof they trespassed- make arrangements for them to pick up the pop up at the sheriff's office.

Re: Need advice [Re: Horsesandhunting] #8287795 06/07/21 08:48 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
By the way, WELCOME to our forum. It is a great place for advice on about any topic you would want(and many you may not want.)

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide