Forums46
Topics537,039
Posts9,719,707
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: booskay] #8279916 05/29/21 06:00 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I always seem to shoot skeet and play golf with someone that wants to tell me everything that I am doing wrong after every shot. It is really annoying when you are out-shooting them.
You need one of those guys grin

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: Simple Searcher] #8279944 05/29/21 06:43 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
I always seem to shoot skeet and play golf with someone that wants to tell me everything that I am doing wrong after every shot. It is really annoying when you are out-shooting them.
You need one of those guys grin

You need better friends. grin Those guys are everywhere. I always seem to get seated next to one in any community band I try. They're known as "trumpet squirrels" in the bigger pool of socially awkward folks known as "amateur musicians" that I try to participate in occasionally. An equipment operator at the ranch the other day had a tshirt on that I need. It said "I used to be a people person, but people ruined it."

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: booskay] #8282934 06/02/21 02:20 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
One other point. A clay target starts out at top speed and constantly loses velocity. I drops from gravity. A live bird is often rising and accelerating. When hunting season starts it takes me a bit to adjust to live birds. I don't know if anyone else ever has the same experience.

Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: booskay] #8283195 06/02/21 07:29 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by booskay
I have found skeet a total waste of time --------- you shoot, you miss ----------- were you high, low, in front , behind -- ??? There is no way to know, hence you have no idea how to correct your shot. If you want to do it for fun, good,, if you want to improve your shooting, you are wasting your time.

I disagree. I worked at a skeet range as a young man. Now if you just got to the skeet range a couple times, miss a bunch of shots and don't figure out why and don't work on the stations you don't do well with, then yes, you are wasting your time. If your constantly missing shots on one of the stations, the reason your missing will still apply to the same shot while hunting unless you fix it. And vise versa. It was common for me to pull skeet for someone standing at only one station to work on a particular problem shot they had while hunting. When I was a kid I did all my skeet shooting with a full choke and most of my hunting with an IC choke. As well my shotgun would often be at my hip, not on my shoulder when I call for the shot. My thought was never to shoot for score, but to improve my shot to kill ration while hunting. When I was shooting skeet every week, no one could come close to hitting more real birds than me on dove or for that matter any kind of bird hunts.
https://blog.hunting-spot.com/en/clay-target-practice-for-upland-hunting

Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: booskay] #8691931 09/20/22 06:07 PM
Bill Marshall Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I agree Sniper John and would add to it. Skeet is the only clay target game where each target path and relative angle to you is Repeatable on demand.

The most common reasons why skeet is hard for some are:
1.) Improper mount - and mounting in shoulder and bringing head down to the buttstock is typical. Mount relative to foot position is very important. Shotgun roughly at 45 degree angle to shoulder. Foot position roughly 45 degrees from center of the field.
2.) Improper stock fit - requiring adjustment of stock and cheek before seeing the barrel and target properly. A good way to get a feel for stock fit is to close your eyes, bring the stock up to shoulder an cheek, the open your eyes. If it fits (more or less) you should be looking straight down the barrel, Base of the thump on your grip should be 2-3 inches from shooting glasses. Stock should be in the shoulder 'pocket' with pad or buttplate makng full contact. You can find your shoulder pocket (if RH shooter), by raising your right arm/elbow and feel the 'pocket' with the heel of your left hand as you reach across to hold your shouler joint. At this point in a good mount fit, for a barrel that shoots 'flat' your eye should be seeing the top of the barrel/rib slightly above the receiver, If you can't 'see' the barrel behind the receiver, your stock has too much 'drop at the comb.

If (RH) you see barrel/rib slightly left of center, you need Cast Off - which means for a RH, the stock is not in a straight line to barrel/receiver but pushed slightly 'right' - which will enable your face/cheek bone to re-center the rib to your eye.
3.) Not learning the proper relationship of the barrel in front of the bird path for each station. The good news abour skeet is that the can start with straight away targets at station 7and 1 - and repeat until you have it down pat. Learn the going away bird at greater angles, the repeat the process for incomers. IMO moving to station 3 and 5 is better than 2 and six for going away targets - because 2 and 6 require faster bird capture and swing and easier to miss without knowing exactly where you miss.
4.) Failing to capture and FOCUS on the target 'nose' as you move the gun. Don't look at or 'aim with' the barrel. See the bird, not the blur.
5.) Failing to turn with legs and body core, i.e. Turning with shoulders while hipand legs are stationary will defeat a smooth swing along the target track.
6.) lifting head from firm mount will screw you most every time. It should be 'firm' after every shot.

I have been 'teaching/instructing' for 50 years ad always start on the Skeet Field.

Most good shooters standing behind you can tell where you miss. Once

Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: booskay] #8691948 09/20/22 06:32 PM
Bill Marshall Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
IMO, once you get past the skeet fundaments and breaking 20+ birds, you have basically acquired competency at known angles and distances (short). Moving from there to trap, then to wobble trap, then to trap from skeet stations moves you into 'unpredictible' and longer range and angles.

The best single invention (for me) to prepare for long range duck, geese, dove and crows was the duck tower at Dallas Gun Club. We set a tower 100 feet tall, with elevator platform holding two wobble traps. You could duplicate any basic hunt except flushing birds by varying where you stood and how high the trap machine platform was located. High incomers, off angle and low incomers, extreme crossing birds from 50 yards away, etc.

Skeet will not prepare you for unpredictable angle (elevation or azimuth), very fast bids at intermediate to long range..

Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: booskay] #8693899 09/23/22 01:37 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
don't give advice unless you're asked for it

shut up and shoot

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: booskay] #8694956 09/24/22 11:04 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've learned many things from shooting skeet. Follow thru is just one important thing that has translated to knocking more birds down.

Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: Buzzsaw] #8695508 09/25/22 06:15 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

shut up and shoot

Unsolicited advice is poor form.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Why skeet does not help to hit target [Re: Buzzsaw] #8696169 09/26/22 06:18 PM
Bill Marshall Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

shut up and shoot

Hmm, are you giving me (unsolicited) advice? Just asking for a friend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide