Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Impersonating military personnel #8278458 05/27/21 08:05 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Reported a kid to the sheriff's department today that had tried to panhandle me a few weeks ago. I was at the Valero in Boerne, wearing a red, white, and blue shirt and have kept my Covid buzzcut, so I think I fit this kid's parameters for a mark, which pisses me off 'cause it means I look old and gullible. realmad He pulled up on the other side of the pumps where I was, in a brand new Jeep pickup and he was wearing full fatigues, including cap, and made sure to keep that face mask on. He mumbled some story about needing motel money and he needed 32.50. I told him I couldn't help him. There was just something off; too many patches on the uniform, something.

Today, I see the same kid pulling in the QT by my house; same fatigues, face mask on, etc. He drove around the entire parking lot (which is a pretty big footprint for a gas station), then pulled up to the building, went inside, came out, then drove all around the pumps looking at folks, then pulled up to a pump. Never got out. I went into the men's room and came back out. He was still sitting there, in the driver's seat, looking around, I assume, looking for a decent mark. He knew I was looking at him. Then I drove around just like he did and got his plate number. Only a back plate, out of state, with a holder covering up the state. I didn't even recognize the colors. I pulled out and down the street and called the sheriff's department.

Who knows if they bothered, but I can't stand some punk praying on folks' support of our military. I can't even fathom the psychological problems that would drive a kid to do this sort of thing. I know he wouldn't attempt to pull this crap on NW Military in San Antonio, down from Camp Bullis. Army personnel is up and down there eating at restaurants all the time and would spot this poser in a minute.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278459 05/27/21 08:08 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I agree... glad you reported him.

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278461 05/27/21 08:10 PM
tractorcrusher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Ask him for credentials and then report him for stolen valor.

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278462 05/27/21 08:10 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Nah ...., you don't look gullible. Surely not.

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278470 05/27/21 08:19 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Ask him for money.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278474 05/27/21 08:23 PM
1955 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Some people have no shame!☹️

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278479 05/27/21 08:30 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I had a friend claim to be a disabled vet. he's disabled, and a vet, but not a disabled vet. we're no longer friends.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278503 05/27/21 08:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have some ocean front property in Arizona.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278518 05/27/21 09:14 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Lot's of stolen valor around for sure.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278529 05/27/21 09:25 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What is sad is he may have actually been in the military. It happens pretty regularly where some military person claims to have medals they were never awarded. Add to that the fact that even in the military there are "bad apples" that are willing to rip off not only the public but their fellow servicemen.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278551 05/27/21 09:57 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I saw a kid the other day at Lowe's in Bastrop wearing fatigues. He had about 5 or 6 rows of ribbons and a Combat Infantrymans badge along with Airborne Insignia. I wasn't in the military so I don't know the proper protocol for wearing ribbons but I told my combat veteran son about it and he said the guy was a phony.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278560 05/27/21 10:12 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
asked a vet today what she was doing for memorial day. she had no idea it was memorial day. Sometimes i wonder if she told me the truth.

[Linked Image]
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: TexasKC] #8278632 05/27/21 11:37 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by TexasKC
I saw a kid the other day at Lowe's in Bastrop wearing fatigues. He had about 5 or 6 rows of ribbons and a Combat Infantrymans badge along with Airborne Insignia. I wasn't in the military so I don't know the proper protocol for wearing ribbons but I told my combat veteran son about it and he said the guy was a phony.

No ribbons are ever worn on fatigues.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278656 05/28/21 12:04 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Reported a kid to the sheriff's department today that had tried to panhandle me a few weeks ago. I was at the Valero in Boerne, wearing a red, white, and blue shirt and have kept my Covid buzzcut, so I think I fit this kid's parameters for a mark, which pisses me off 'cause it means I look old and gullible. realmad He pulled up on the other side of the pumps where I was, in a brand new Jeep pickup and he was wearing full fatigues, including cap, and made sure to keep that face mask on. He mumbled some story about needing motel money and he needed 32.50. I told him I couldn't help him. There was just something off; too many patches on the uniform, something.

Today, I see the same kid pulling in the QT by my house; same fatigues, face mask on, etc. He drove around the entire parking lot (which is a pretty big footprint for a gas station), then pulled up to the building, went inside, came out, then drove all around the pumps looking at folks, then pulled up to a pump. Never got out. I went into the men's room and came back out. He was still sitting there, in the driver's seat, looking around, I assume, looking for a decent mark. He knew I was looking at him. Then I drove around just like he did and got his plate number. Only a back plate, out of state, with a holder covering up the state. I didn't even recognize the colors. I pulled out and down the street and called the sheriff's department.

Who knows if they bothered, but I can't stand some punk praying on folks' support of our military. I can't even fathom the psychological problems that would drive a kid to do this sort of thing. I know he wouldn't attempt to pull this crap on NW Military in San Antonio, down from Camp Bullis. Army personnel is up and down there eating at restaurants all the time and would spot this poser in a minute.

Son of a B***....that guy got me at QT a few weeks ago. Said he was coming from his moms funeral in Georgia and his jeep has georgia plates.

I gave him $50.

He did ask if I wanted change, but he asked for $32......said he needed a room for the night and he was $32. short

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278659 05/28/21 12:16 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
popcorn

[Linked Image]
Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278667 05/28/21 12:24 AM
9x19 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I know I'm from a different era, but pan handling was not one of those activities looked upon with favor... there were several agencies on each base that would lend a hand (and a few $) to any service member who needed it to attend a family funeral.

I suspect it's still true today...

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278671 05/28/21 12:30 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Handing someone the gas nozzle after I had filled up is the most I have done. She was a hot chick.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: 9x19] #8278714 05/28/21 01:31 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 9x19
I know I'm from a different era, but pan handling was not one of those activities looked upon with favor... there were several agencies on each base that would lend a hand (and a few $) to any service member who needed it to attend a family funeral.

I suspect it's still true today...

This guy claimed there was an error with the funeral home and his debit card. Said he had to pay for the funeral expenses all on his own.

He wasn’t a slick Rick he was a nerdy white kid who looked like he was in the IT department

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: bill oxner] #8278735 05/28/21 01:58 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Handing someone the gas nozzle after I had filled up is the most I have done. She was a hot chick.

I roll with Bill on this one...

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: txtrophy85] #8278789 05/28/21 03:38 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Son of a B***....that guy got me at QT a few weeks ago. Said he was coming from his moms funeral in Georgia and his jeep has georgia plates.

I gave him $50.

He did ask if I wanted change, but he asked for $32......said he needed a room for the night and he was $32. short

Dang. It’s a small world.

Look at it like this. You can’t know, and it’s a good thing to help people. Jesus didn’t tell us to investigate and make sure we only give to those who truly need it. He just said to give.

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: txtrophy85] #8278859 05/28/21 11:00 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

I gave him $50.

"Nah ...., you don't look gullible. Surely not." TXTrophy on the other hand . . . ., well . . . . .

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Sneaky] #8278894 05/28/21 12:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I gave him $50.

Dang. It’s a small world.

Look at it like this. You can’t know, and it’s a good thing to help people. Jesus didn’t tell us to investigate and make sure we only give to those who truly need it. He just said to give.

Oh I’m not mad about it at all, other than the fact that he is impersonating a US enlisted Army, which I think is among the lowest of the low.

That is 100% on him, I did my part and I would do it again. I believe in helping people.

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278916 05/28/21 01:23 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
After reading this I think it might be a good idea to ask for their military I.D ?

texas flag

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278920 05/28/21 01:30 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Give him fish heads

Re: Impersonating military personnel [Re: Creekrunner] #8278948 05/28/21 02:08 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
popcorn

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide