Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
For parts my first stop is amazon.

For Oil my first stop is walmart.

If i cant find the parts I need on amazon I will drop by either the NAPA or O'rileys in town. The markup on parts at the actual brick and mortar parts houses is huge.

Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Rock auto is good.

Yep. Prices are much better.... A $9-$10 Oil filter at Orielly was $4 on Rock.
Wix too.

What you two cheap bastards don’t understand is the quality experience of interacting with auto parts store employees, these days. It’s the highlight of my day to receive one wiper blade when I’ve paid for two. Having drained your oil and removed the filter only to find out that the filter they’ve sold you is incorrect? Riveting! But my favorite part is asking for a part specific to a particular motor and playing 20 questions about the vehicles details that are unrelated to the motor. Does the 6.4 Hemi in a Laramie 2wd have a different oil filter than a 6.4 Hemi in a Longhorn 4wd? Don’t you need the paint color code, as well? These moments are priceless. Don’t miss out on them.

Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: Sneaky] #8278176 05/27/21 02:09 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Sneaky
But my favorite part is asking for a part specific to a particular motor and playing 20 questions about the vehicles details that are unrelated to the motor. Does the 6.4 Hemi in a Laramie 2wd have a different oil filter than a 6.4 Hemi in a Longhorn 4wd? Don’t you need the paint color code, as well? These moments are priceless. Don’t miss out on them.

By far the best part!

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: reeltexan] #8278186 05/27/21 02:19 PM
R
reeltexan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

And don't forget standing in a long line then having to reach way over a rope barrier to PAY for the incorrect parts.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: Sneaky] #8278193 05/27/21 02:27 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

If i cant find the parts I need on amazon I will drop by either the NAPA or O'rileys in town. The markup on parts at the actual brick and mortar parts houses is huge.

Rock auto is good.

Wix too.

What you two cheap bastards don’t understand is the quality experience of interacting with auto parts store employees, these days. It’s the highlight of my day to receive one wiper blade when I’ve paid for two. Having drained your oil and removed the filter only to find out that the filter they’ve sold you is incorrect? Riveting! But my favorite part is asking for a part specific to a particular motor and playing 20 questions about the vehicles details that are unrelated to the motor. Does the 6.4 Hemi in a Laramie 2wd have a different oil filter than a 6.4 Hemi in a Longhorn 4wd? Don’t you need the paint color code, as well? These moments are priceless. Don’t miss out on them.

clap
I always check the number on the old filter while it's on the vehicle.... peep

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: reeltexan] #8278204 05/27/21 02:39 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Obviously, that’s a wise thing to do, but why deprive yourself of the second encounter with mechanical brilliance?

Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: Sneaky] #8278206 05/27/21 02:40 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Rock auto is good.

Wix too.

I hate the parts counter questions as well, but was surprised to find out a time or two that being 4x4 does affect what oil filter is used.

I sold my old chevy in 2009 and i still know the delco part number for the filter was a PH1218. I could walk into the parts house and they would refuse to get me one till they looked it up lol.

You're right though... i am a cheap bastard.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: Sneaky] #8278308 05/27/21 04:56 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Obviously, that’s a wise thing to do, but why deprive yourself of the second encounter with mechanical brilliance?

This reminds me of something i read on another forum the other day, pertaining to a Starter Improvement relay for JD lawn tractors...
You can buy them in a kit for $30.... but this guy was going to make his own so he went to the parts store for a plain old relay...

Well, the first thing in this project that I needed was a relay. Plain, old relay. The kind that every auto on the road has 6 or 8 of. I went to a name brand auto parts store, with the design of the relay drawn out on a sticky note, so I could tell them what I needed. When I walked in and told them what I was looking for, so I could build a project for my lawn mower, I got the old "Deer (not Deere) in the headlights look".

"I don't think we carry lawnmower parts like that."

No, I said, I need an auto relay, it's for a project I am building for my lawnmower.

"Here's all our lawnmower parts. See, we just carry spark plugs."

No, let's start over. Do you sell auto relays, like for horns, lights, fog lamps, etc?

"What kind of vehicle?"

"It's a lawn mower!"

"Well, we sell trailer light kits for about $25 over here."

We go over there and he shows me the light kits. Right next to it was a relay just like what I wanted for $3.95ish. I'll take this. It's just what I need.

Employee: "Do you think that will work in a lawnmower?"

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: reeltexan] #8278324 05/27/21 05:09 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Lake auto in Lake worth was the best. that guy new every part that would fit any vehicle from cars to boats. sure miss him.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: reeltexan] #8278355 05/27/21 05:48 PM
J
jrfan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Seems like I remember there was technically a year they didn't sell a Corvette. It was a half year or something to that effect. If you went in and asked to a part for that year model, it would blow their mind because it wouldn't come up under any part.

[Linked Image]
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: reeltexan] #8278685 05/28/21 12:51 AM
C
Couzin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Just an observation from driving auto parts for my part time retirement job. NAPA tends to have a lot more older Gearhart that just know 'stuff'.

Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: reeltexan] #8278688 05/28/21 01:01 AM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I stop by my local Autozone once every couple of months to drop off my used oil. Every once in awhile I feel guilty about not buying anything and I’ll pickup a bottle of wiper fluid. Other than that, I buy 90% of my parts off Amazon

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Auto Parts Store [Re: TCM3] #8278689 05/28/21 01:02 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

This reminds me of something i read on another forum the other day, pertaining to a Starter Improvement relay for JD lawn tractors...
You can buy them in a kit for $30.... but this guy was going to make his own so he went to the parts store for a plain old relay...

Well, the first thing in this project that I needed was a relay. Plain, old relay. The kind that every auto on the road has 6 or 8 of. I went to a name brand auto parts store, with the design of the relay drawn out on a sticky note, so I could tell them what I needed. When I walked in and told them what I was looking for, so I could build a project for my lawn mower, I got the old "Deer (not Deere) in the headlights look".

"I don't think we carry lawnmower parts like that."

No, I said, I need an auto relay, it's for a project I am building for my lawnmower.

"Here's all our lawnmower parts. See, we just carry spark plugs."

No, let's start over. Do you sell auto relays, like for horns, lights, fog lamps, etc?

"What kind of vehicle?"

"It's a lawn mower!"

"Well, we sell trailer light kits for about $25 over here."

We go over there and he shows me the light kits. Right next to it was a relay just like what I wanted for $3.95ish. I'll take this. It's just what I need.

Employee: "Do you think that will work in a lawnmower?"

Now that’s funny!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide