Print Thread
Moles in yard #8273148 05/22/21 05:33 AM
R
ragin_cajuns Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
anyone have experience getting rid of moles or know someone who does?

Re: Moles in yard [Re: ragin_cajuns] #8273478 05/22/21 07:45 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My Grandad uses this, https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...c6lsSvRKkeeoQ_seNUoxdao_S-4aArcQEALw_wcB

Find a tunnel, dig down until you hit their tunnel (which isn't far) and put it in. Cover it back upm

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Moles in yard [Re: TCM3] #8273496 05/22/21 08:14 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TCM3
My Grandad uses this, https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...c6lsSvRKkeeoQ_seNUoxdao_S-4aArcQEALw_wcB

Find a tunnel, dig down until you hit their tunnel (which isn't far) and put it in. Cover it back upm

I've had good success with it as well, but will add the tunnels can be deeper than you might think. When making holes with the plastic cone and before placing a few pellets in them, I try to feel the point at which the tip of the funnel is passing through the tunnel. You can usually feel this as the resistance suddenly gets less.

IMO, controlling moles in a neighborhood situation is much like controlling fire ants. If your neighbors are doing nothing to control them, it can be an ongoing battle.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/22/21 08:15 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Moles in yard [Re: ragin_cajuns] #8273502 05/22/21 08:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Dogs.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Moles in yard [Re: bill oxner] #8273969 05/23/21 01:26 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Dogs.

Specifically terriers

Re: Moles in yard [Re: soooo] #8274038 05/23/21 02:36 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by soooo
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Dogs.

Specifically terriers

Miniature Wiener Dogs, they will straight up handle business.

Re: Moles in yard [Re: ragin_cajuns] #8274573 05/24/21 01:18 AM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Get you a couple of scissor traps. My neighbors and I use them and have put the hurt on the Mole population.
Scissor Trap

Re: Moles in yard [Re: Old Rabbit] #8274916 05/24/21 01:52 PM
R
ragin_cajuns Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Get you a couple of scissor traps. My neighbors and I use them and have put the hurt on the Mole population.
Scissor Trap

thanks - i bought a few last night and will be putting them out today.

Re: Moles in yard [Re: Old Rabbit] #8274925 05/24/21 02:02 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Scissor Trap

I'm going to have to give those a try. After killing dozens with the GopherHawk and the black box style traps they've wised up. I didn't have much luck with plunger traps, but the scissor looks promising.

Artillery shells (from the fireworks stand) buried seem to work for me to an extent - I think the initial concussion of it disorients them enough to smoke the hole good enough before than can try to dig to plug it. The gopher smoke bombs seem ineffective at this point.

Be very careful with the poison if you have dogs. That's the only reason I haven't used it. It's highly effective though when done correctly.

Re: Moles in yard [Re: Cochise] #8275013 05/24/21 03:06 PM
R
ragin_cajuns Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Cochise
Scissor Trap

I'm going to have to give those a try. After killing dozens with the GopherHawk and the black box style traps they've wised up. I didn't have much luck with plunger traps, but the scissor looks promising.

Artillery shells (from the fireworks stand) buried seem to work for me to an extent - I think the initial concussion of it disorients them enough to smoke the hole good enough before than can try to dig to plug it. The gopher smoke bombs seem ineffective at this point.

Be very careful with the poison if you have dogs. That's the only reason I haven't used it. It's highly effective though when done correctly.

yeah i have two dogs so i don't want to put any posion worms in my backyard where the dogs roam when we aren't home. i did put poison worms in the front yard and it seems to have slowed them down.

has anyone tried dry ice? it sublimates to carbon dioxide which is heavier than air so it sinks down in the tunnel system. i've read about ppl using it. was going to try to get some pellets if these traps don't stop em.

Re: Moles in yard [Re: TCM3] #8275267 05/24/21 07:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TCM3

These don’t work for moles at all. They don’t eat grain, roots, bulbs or peanuts. They are not herbivores.

I’ve tried everything grub killer, poison/peanuts/grubs, traps etc. I’m calling in a professional.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Moles in yard [Re: ragin_cajuns] #8275657 05/25/21 01:38 AM
O
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by ragin_cajuns
Scissor Trap

thanks - i bought a few last night and will be putting them out today.

If you don't have luck right a way, do not give up. When I have a new infestation, I take my lawnmower and flatten out all of the runs. Then I look for the active ones that they open back up and set the traps in those places. Good luck.

Re: Moles in yard [Re: Cochise] #8275660 05/25/21 01:41 AM
O
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Scissor Trap

Cochise, were you killing Gophers or Moles? I have killed over 100 gophers (20 acres & several years) with the GopherHawk traps, but have yet to catch a mole. If you are catching moles, please share your secret please.

Re: Moles in yard [Re: ragin_cajuns] #8275765 05/25/21 05:17 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I fought those little bastards for 6 years at a previous home. Easy to find, all you have to do is put a finger hole in a tunnel, they'll come patch it up pretty quick if it's active. I did the poison worms, scissor traps, plunge traps, the traps you lay down in the tunnel (these were actually the most effective - https://www.traplineproducts.com/ ), smoke bombs and even built my own Rodentator. The mix and proper amount was tough to get right given mine was DYI, but it was glorious when I did.

I've read they are very territorial, a couple per acre, etc. All complete [censored]. I think I had Mole-opolis in my backyard.

I wish you lots of luck.... Where are you from, I'm a USL Grad. and native.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Moles in yard [Re: CharlieCTx] #8275845 05/25/21 11:51 AM
R
ragin_cajuns Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
I fought those little bastards for 6 years at a previous home. Easy to find, all you have to do is put a finger hole in a tunnel, they'll come patch it up pretty quick if it's active. I did the poison worms, scissor traps, plunge traps, the traps you lay down in the tunnel (these were actually the most effective - https://www.traplineproducts.com/ ), smoke bombs and even built my own Rodentator. The mix and proper amount was tough to get right given mine was DYI, but it was glorious when I did.

I've read they are very territorial, a couple per acre, etc. All complete [censored]. I think I had Mole-opolis in my backyard.

I wish you lots of luck.... Where are you from, I'm a USL Grad. and native.

Charlie

USL grad (1993). From Houma. IN Highland Village now

Last edited by ragin_cajuns; 05/25/21 11:53 AM.
Re: Moles in yard [Re: ragin_cajuns] #8275893 05/25/21 12:54 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Carbon monoxide will kill them dead in their tracks.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Moles in yard [Re: ragin_cajuns] #8276006 05/25/21 02:13 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Comment ca va cher!? My wife is from Morgan City (USL '85), I'm from Lafayette (USL '88, I didn't get an older woman, I worked offshore for PHI a while before going to school), we're probably cousins... smile

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Moles in yard [Re: CharlieCTx] #8276021 05/25/21 02:29 PM
R
ragin_cajuns Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

Comment ca va cher!? My wife is from Morgan City (USL '85), I'm from Lafayette (USL '88, I didn't get an older woman, I worked offshore for PHI a while before going to school), we're probably cousins... smile

Charlie

bien, et toi

Last edited by ragin_cajuns; 05/25/21 02:30 PM.
Re: Moles in yard [Re: Old Rabbit] #8276226 05/25/21 05:19 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Scissor Trap

Cochise, were you killing Gophers or Moles? I have killed over 100 gophers (20 acres & several years) with the GopherHawk traps, but have yet to catch a mole. If you are catching moles, please share your secret please.

Gophers. I've only killed two moles with traps and I think that was dumb luck with the box style traps - they don't tunnel deep enough for the Gopherhawk - at least where I live. Tried the plunger style on the moles with zero luck. I have killed a few more by getting lucky seeing the ground move and quickly digging with a shovel.

I hate them both with a passion - for whatever reason of ALL the places they could go (the 100s of acres of pasture around us) - they pick my damn yard. Very rarely do I find any activity out in my pasture or see any in the pastures around us. Vermin.

Last edited by Cochise; 05/25/21 05:20 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide