Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hunting leases will be a thing of the past #8271850 05/21/21 12:26 AM
B
booskay Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
With hunting land now selling for between $4,000 ------------$8,000 an acre ( I just sold 42 acres for $340,000 in Durango, Tx), the amount people will pay to lease it will be insignificant to the new land owners, so it is unlikely they will lease the hunting rights. If you paid $340K for land would you really lease the rights for $2K---No.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8271857 05/21/21 12:31 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
I agree. Someone who is buying land at these prices would never even consider leasing it.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8271877 05/21/21 12:45 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Anyone buying a smaller tract of land is not going to lease it. They are buying it for their own use.There will always be leases in Texas.....maybe not quite as many as land gets fragmented. The prices of leases have steadily climbed in price over the last 50 yrs no matter what has happened to the economy or oil prices or whatever one would think would effect them. They will continue to climb in price year after year.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8271888 05/21/21 12:51 AM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I think there will always be a few options, especially from people who already own the land and want to earn some extra income. Ranchers for instance that don't live on the ranch. They might own 2000 acres that just gets grazed....why not make an extra $20-30k a year to let people hunt on it. I definitely see your point though. If I could afford land, there's no way I'm letting people hunt on it.....maybe that's why I've been unsuccessfully looking for a lease for years now....

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8271965 05/21/21 01:51 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Years ago around here there were folks who leased their property to hunters. Now I don't know of any.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8271970 05/21/21 01:59 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There’s a cattle rancher near me that’s land rich and cash poor. He leases out hunting on most of his land. That’s probably the case with a lot of old ranchers around the state.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272127 05/21/21 11:14 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by booskay
With hunting land now selling for between $4,000 ------------$8,000 an acre ( I just sold 42 acres for $340,000 in Durango, Tx), the amount people will pay to lease it will be insignificant to the new land owners, so it is unlikely they will lease the hunting rights. If you paid $340K for land would you really lease the rights for $2K---No.

I think you are working some faulty logic. That someone paid a lot of money and won't lease cheaply does not mean leases will be gone. Lease prices may go up, but there will be leases. There will be people that pay lease prices.

Also, lots of landowners lease as a side hustle to other ongoing operations, right? They aren't expecting to make all their money back from hunt leasing, just to earn some side income.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: 603Country] #8272152 05/21/21 11:51 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by 603Country
There’s a cattle rancher near me that’s land rich and cash poor. He leases out hunting on most of his land. That’s probably the case with a lot of old ranchers around the state.

Exactly right

There are many ranchers in TX that are multi-millionaires when considering their assets (land). Not so much with cash in the bank.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272205 05/21/21 12:41 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
That's why I bought my own place. There used to be many leases available in our area but as the old folks passed on the children or estate took control of the lands and they were sold off or locked down.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272213 05/21/21 12:46 PM
L
LanceH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I believe people will continue to lease to make supplemental income and to help get a little money back on what they spent to buy the land.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8272226 05/21/21 12:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by 603Country

Exactly right

There are many ranchers in TX that are multi-millionaires when considering their assets (land). Not so much with cash in the bank.

Everyone of those ranchers probably have $$$$$ in the bank because they live off nothing, and prepare for the worse. The newer generations could learn a lot from those depression babies.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272254 05/21/21 01:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMHO, it's going to put more emphasis on the relationship between landowners and hunters, as is often the case in the sales world. While money will always be the key driver with landowners, hunters may find themselves having to make changes to satisfy increasing demands from landowners. More landowners, like the one who owns the land I currently lease, may not allow hunters to use feeders because of the problems that can come with them. Others may not allow hunters to camp on their property due to the increased liability. The same rules that apply to public land may eventually become more common to private leases.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/21/21 01:11 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272259 05/21/21 01:13 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
No, many of them don't. That is sort of the point about being land rich and cash poor. A lot of farmers are in the same shape.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272269 05/21/21 01:20 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
There are also wealthy land owners who utilize ranches as a safe haven to store value. Somes will try to earn as much revenue as possible while seldom venturing on the places they own.

Last edited by Hudbone; 05/21/21 01:21 PM.
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8272284 05/21/21 01:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
No, many of them don't. That is sort of the point about being land rich and cash poor. A lot of farmers are in the same shape.

If that was the case many ranches/farmers would of went up for sale via the country court steps because of depressed cattle prices and grain prices last few years.

Perception isn’t always reality. Like I said most will live off nothing to get through hard times with out getting into savings. Nature of the game when you are use to only getting a paycheck 1-3 times a year, and are the mercy of
Mother nature.

Leasing hunting is a diversity investment to add another 1-2 paychecks a year.

Not saying farming and ranching are a get rich occupation, but it’s an occupation that requires very thoughtful spending and saving.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: Texas Dan] #8272294 05/21/21 01:40 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
More landowners, like the one who owns the land I currently lease, may not allow hunters to use feeders because of the problems that can come with them. Others may not allow hunters to camp on their property due to the increased liability. The same rules that apply to public land may eventually become more common to private leases.

I don't know any landowners who wont let hunters use feeders. You might have found the only one.

Most places require at least a protein feeder to meet requirements for the wildlife exemption.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: Hudbone] #8272299 05/21/21 01:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
There are also wealthy land owners who utilize ranches as a safe haven to store value. Somes will try to earn as much revenue as possible while seldom venturing on the places they own.

cheers Probably been going for a few generations also, and never have issues finding grass or dirt leasors.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272342 05/21/21 02:20 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Cutting the larger ranches up into smaller tracts is a much greater threat to supply and demand of hunting leases.

That's been going on for awhile, regardless of land prices.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: BbarVRanch] #8272351 05/21/21 02:27 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
Cutting the larger ranches up into smaller tracts is a much greater threat to supply and demand of hunting leases.

Its going to get worse if Binden gets his way. historic ranches are a thing of the past.

You won't even be able to beat it as inherited stock.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272362 05/21/21 02:36 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

If that was the case many ranches/farmers would of went up for sale via the country court steps because of depressed cattle prices and grain prices last few years.

Perception isn’t always reality. Like I said most will live off nothing to get through hard times with out getting into savings. Nature of the game when you are use to only getting a paycheck 1-3 times a year, and are the mercy of
Mother nature.

Leasing hunting is a diversity investment to add another 1-2 paychecks a year.

Not saying farming and ranching are a get rich occupation, but it’s an occupation that requires very thoughtful spending and saving.

I disagree

I'm talking about the ranches that have been in families for generations for the most part.
A lot of the true blue Texas Ranchers would rather starve than sell an acre of their sacred land and I don't blame them for that one bit. The land means everything to them because of the values they were taught on it!

Many down South are now have millions in the bank because of the EF oil boom but prior to that literally scratched a living off that brush for generations from cattle and what they could get selling either leases or package hunts.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272364 05/21/21 02:37 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Thing of the past, for some maybe.

Supply is low, demand is constant or increasing so there you have it. I have been on leases most of my life and there is a concept that some hunters I know have a hard time embracing, and that is that even though you are a paying customer, you need to act like a guest.

I recently had a conversation with a guy that got kicked off of a lease. He was on property in a vehicle with California plates. The land owner didn't recognize him, or the vehicle. So, the land owner engages him in a conversation, and the lease member immediately gets defensive and argumentative with the land owner. The next year, lease boss tells him land owner doesn't want him back.

This guy actually calls me, and tells me this story, almost verbatim to what I have described. Since I know the land owner as a former lease member on some of his property, I guess this guy was just wanted to bash the land owner. One of the things he said to me, "XXX XXXXXXXXX thinks just because he owns 26,000 acres he's a big shot". My answer, "He is, and you're looking for a lease because you don't get it".

It will be harder, but as others have said, like a lot of business' land owners have several income streams from their land. Grazing, hunting, water, timber, farming, etc......

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: BbarVRanch] #8272365 05/21/21 02:37 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

Yup

And this is pretty much inevitable through each generation if there is more than one child involved which there usually is.

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8272368 05/21/21 02:38 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Its going to get worse if Binden gets his way. historic ranches are a thing of the past.

You won't even be able to beat it as inherited stock.

There is no doubt!
100% FACT!

Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: txtrophy85] #8272506 05/21/21 04:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
More landowners, like the one who owns the land I currently lease, may not allow hunters to use feeders because of the problems that can come with them. Others may not allow hunters to camp on their property due to the increased liability. The same rules that apply to public land may eventually become more common to private leases.

I don't know any landowners who wont let hunters use feeders. You might have found the only one.

Most places require at least a protein feeder to meet requirements for the wildlife exemption.

I see that as a good thing if it means the landowner receiving fewer offers from other hunters.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/21/21 04:10 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: hunting leases will be a thing of the past [Re: booskay] #8272543 05/21/21 04:32 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
rofl only took 2 pages before Biden's name was mentioned...

High prices play way bigger roll... Leases were were on were affordable...
Seen were land owners leased land for 5 year option... Hunters did all the work.
Money, time, effort, then landowner, go behind back & advertise...
$$$$ money talks...
In the HF/LF discussions, many times seen people post.

ya cant raise Big Buck$ on LF...

That's bs & majo more than rity of them thar HF bucks got thar start from them thar deer farms...

High prices have played biggest roll...
bang ammo cost more than the gun these days...
& price of living gonna go up...
Happens every time thesy raise minimum wages...
Just my 2cents
scared money talks
rofl i still got cheap posts...

Here, can see lots of changes in hunting...
We dont have the public land (wooded) like @
OSBWMA & the many other bigger acers that hunted down thar...
Thar be few land owners that let us hunt...
Tis a Blessing @ thankful... & let them know, offer ta help out...
Farming around here has become more corporate farming...
Prices of machinery expensive..

offtopic
US tis slowly been geared ta Bigger. Faster, Better...
Seen this as a water meter reader... We get ahead, go help out in other departments.
We get the level eye, from the other departments...
We were told, dont slow down... Twas race, man vs high tech...
It twas faster, but we did more than just read meters...
We had NO say...

back tis thinking prices of leases plays big role in leasing...
It cheaper ta go ta the store for 10 #'s of hamberger...
If it weren't for the OSBWMA opening up just down the road,
i'd a quit hunting years ago., leases just cost too much...
End rant...
Best wish's
Social distancing from MN...
flag

i'm postaddic
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide