Print Thread
Rocksprings Axis Hunt #8271574 05/20/21 07:45 PM
A
anthonytexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Been running into this ads on many places (Facebook, Craigslist, googling axis hunt). $150 per day per hunter, two day and two hunter minimum. Rocksprings south of 41, between Hackberry and Fairview. Seems too good, but I can't turn away.

FB:
https://www.facebook.com/texashillcountrydayhunts/posts/505121860901556

Did some research here and on TexasBowHunters:
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5567901/Day_Axis_Hunts
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783933&highlight=210-387-4044

The comments on here were from back in 2015, and the hunters never reviewed their experiences. Seems this could be a very low success rate hunt based on the negative comments. Wondering if anybody else tried since 2015, or can offer new insights.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8272251 05/21/21 01:08 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Unless the poster can provide recent, repetitive game camera photos of axis coming in you are most likely wasting your time. I have Axis on my place that are free range. There are 4 feeders throwing twice per day each. I have exactly 3 photos of axis deer since February. They were apparently passing through. If I let you "hunt" there for any amount of money I am scamming you. If one shows up every day for a week I might offer a chance at it. Ask a lot of questions and look for references and evidence. Buyer beware.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8272286 05/21/21 01:33 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
To good to be true........you know the rest.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: JABHunting] #8284909 06/04/21 07:19 PM
A
anthonytexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
JAB....let me know when you make axis hunts available at your place. Just love an opportunity take a doe.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8300840 06/21/21 04:42 PM
A
anthonytexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
My review of the place in question. Hope it will help someone else with their decisions.

Did all the research I could find about this place on here, Google, Maps, Real County CAD site, and Texas Bow Hunters. Per the county CAD site, this place is legit and belongs to the owner putting out these ads. Made contact with the owner and got a good vibe from the open communication we were having. Been several months since I hunted and I also needed a break from work (and the family, LOL). Decided to take a chance. Everything was handled electronically (rules/regulation forms, waiver signing, instructions and maps, PayPal payment). Couldn't get any friends to join, so I went lone wolf. The cost for one hunter was $200, for 2 nights, exclusive use of the 45 acres, low fenced ranch, cabin, and 5 blinds. The menu included 1 axis, 1 predator, unlimited hogs. Asides from several rabbits and pheasants, I did not see any of the items on the menu during my stay. Owners made no guarantees, and even said success rate was around ~40% (mine was 0%).

The place had most of the things for a potential great hunt. 5 blinds and working feeders which go off at 5:30pm and 7am daily, year round. 4 of the 5 blinds were elevated. Three of those blinds are fairly new and are very clean. The nicest blind was nearest to the cabin, so I hung out there the most. There are no motion sensors or cameras so I brought my own green motion light and attached it to the feeder near the cabin. That night, I stayed up in the blind from 9pm to 1am. I noticed the motion light going off several times. However, through my scope and green light, I only saw little critters (rabbits, possums?) moving around near the feeder. No deer or hogs or predators. Went to cabin for a quick nap and returned to the blind around 4:30am. No movements around the feeder whatsoever from 4:30am to 10:00am. Tired of waiting for nothing, I decided to walk the ranch to see all the other blinds and feeders before the temp started to pick up. The path to these other blinds were maintained and mowed. Made for a utv, although a truck might be able to fit as well. I opted to walk instead to get a true feel for the place. I noticed signs of hog activities and deer tracks around all the feeders. However, these were dried and the accumulation of corns still on the ground tells me that animals haven't been around for a while. At the farthest blind from the cabin, a nice breeze was flowing through so I hung out there for a couple of hours. No activities except for birds flying around. Decided to call it as it was getting warmer. Headed into Rocksprings (only 18 miles away, so why not, I got nothing else to do in this heat) for lunch and returned around 4pm. Back up into the blind next to the cabin and waited. Feeder went off. Waited. Nothing for another two hours. At this point I didn't even wanted to hang out for another night. It is apparent nothing will be coming around. So I packed up and left early.

From the facility perspective, the ranch was pretty nice. Low fence in the front and on the left. High fence on the right and no back fence with the neighbors. Cabin was clean and the AC unit kept it cool during the 100 degrees outdoors temp. Nice bunk beds with good mattresses and cleaned sheets. Microwave and a space heater. Plenty of electrical outlets for your charging needs. There were no water and plumbing, but I knew that going in so I prepped for it. Fire pit and small grill outsides. So if you're looking for an escape from the city, be out in the wild, and to hang out and drink with the fellas, then this place would be great for that.

Whitetails, I am familiar with and have great success over the years. Axis are new to me. I've seen Youtube videos of people bagging axis from all hours of the days, at all times of the year. I guessed those videos and forum postings got me excited to make the long drive for a potential of bagging one for myself. Maybe it was too hot this past weekend. Maybe axis the population is trying to recover from the freeze like many mentioned on here. Maybe this location is just over-hunted like reviewers are saying in Google. Overall, I went in with little expectations and was proven correct. However, I also went in wanting to explore someplace new to me and feed my hunting spirits. Part of hunting is the anticipation and the letdown of not being successful. I accomplished that too. Now that I got that out of the system, I really want to get to a place where I can bag an axis doe for my freezer. I saw many ranches with axis roaming around on my way in from I-10 on 41. My search continues.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8301051 06/21/21 08:56 PM
L
lost again Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Nice write up. Sorry you weren’t successful.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8301067 06/21/21 09:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Pheasants at Rocksprings? confused If there was no water on the place or no water even close, then that is why you saw no game.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8315372 07/08/21 12:18 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
45 acres is not a ranch by any respectable measure. No wonder there is a high fence on Two sides. Barely a pasture. I see another high fence on the other two sides in the near future for that place.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8315452 07/08/21 01:43 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by anthonytexas
My review of the place in question. Hope it will help someone else with their decisions.

Did all the research I could find about this place on here, Google, Maps, Real County CAD site, and Texas Bow Hunters. Per the county CAD site, this place is legit and belongs to the owner putting out these ads. Made contact with the owner and got a good vibe from the open communication we were having. Been several months since I hunted and I also needed a break from work (and the family, LOL). Decided to take a chance. Everything was handled electronically (rules/regulation forms, waiver signing, instructions and maps, PayPal payment). Couldn't get any friends to join, so I went lone wolf. The cost for one hunter was $200, for 2 nights, exclusive use of the 45 acres, low fenced ranch, cabin, and 5 blinds. The menu included 1 axis, 1 predator, unlimited hogs. Asides from several rabbits and pheasants, I did not see any of the items on the menu during my stay. Owners made no guarantees, and even said success rate was around ~40% (mine was 0%).

The place had most of the things for a potential great hunt. 5 blinds and working feeders which go off at 5:30pm and 7am daily, year round. 4 of the 5 blinds were elevated. Three of those blinds are fairly new and are very clean. The nicest blind was nearest to the cabin, so I hung out there the most. There are no motion sensors or cameras so I brought my own green motion light and attached it to the feeder near the cabin. That night, I stayed up in the blind from 9pm to 1am. I noticed the motion light going off several times. However, through my scope and green light, I only saw little critters (rabbits, possums?) moving around near the feeder. No deer or hogs or predators. Went to cabin for a quick nap and returned to the blind around 4:30am. No movements around the feeder whatsoever from 4:30am to 10:00am. Tired of waiting for nothing, I decided to walk the ranch to see all the other blinds and feeders before the temp started to pick up. The path to these other blinds were maintained and mowed. Made for a utv, although a truck might be able to fit as well. I opted to walk instead to get a true feel for the place. I noticed signs of hog activities and deer tracks around all the feeders. However, these were dried and the accumulation of corns still on the ground tells me that animals haven't been around for a while. At the farthest blind from the cabin, a nice breeze was flowing through so I hung out there for a couple of hours. No activities except for birds flying around. Decided to call it as it was getting warmer. Headed into Rocksprings (only 18 miles away, so why not, I got nothing else to do in this heat) for lunch and returned around 4pm. Back up into the blind next to the cabin and waited. Feeder went off. Waited. Nothing for another two hours. At this point I didn't even wanted to hang out for another night. It is apparent nothing will be coming around. So I packed up and left early.

From the facility perspective, the ranch was pretty nice. Low fence in the front and on the left. High fence on the right and no back fence with the neighbors. Cabin was clean and the AC unit kept it cool during the 100 degrees outdoors temp. Nice bunk beds with good mattresses and cleaned sheets. Microwave and a space heater. Plenty of electrical outlets for your charging needs. There were no water and plumbing, but I knew that going in so I prepped for it. Fire pit and small grill outsides. So if you're looking for an escape from the city, be out in the wild, and to hang out and drink with the fellas, then this place would be great for that.

Whitetails, I am familiar with and have great success over the years. Axis are new to me. I've seen Youtube videos of people bagging axis from all hours of the days, at all times of the year. I guessed those videos and forum postings got me excited to make the long drive for a potential of bagging one for myself. Maybe it was too hot this past weekend. Maybe axis the population is trying to recover from the freeze like many mentioned on here. Maybe this location is just over-hunted like reviewers are saying in Google. Overall, I went in with little expectations and was proven correct. However, I also went in wanting to explore someplace new to me and feed my hunting spirits. Part of hunting is the anticipation and the letdown of not being successful. I accomplished that too. Now that I got that out of the system, I really want to get to a place where I can bag an axis doe for my freezer. I saw many ranches with axis roaming around on my way in from I-10 on 41. My search continues.

Thanks for taking the time to write up the place. Good review. Sounds like you went in with low expectations, but made the best of a quiet weekend.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: JABHunting] #8318172 07/11/21 09:11 PM
1riot1ranger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I used to own property near that location that bordered on 41 and sold it a couple of years ago. It became too far to go and maintain by myself. Anyway, killed some axis, some hogs, and an occasional whitetail. The axis mostly pass through so make sure food (they are protein hogs) and water is available and they will come, although not predictably. I could have made you the same deal and odds are good that you would have the same results.

Real County to Rocksprings is full of ranchettes that are hunted heavily. I suspect the axis and exotics you saw from 41 were all behind high fence ranches. For a good weekend away from civilization and hunting opportunities with low expectations that is a great area. After selling the Real County property, I bought across I10 from Kerrville in Gillespie County. The freeze took a toll here so not sure about Real County. White tail numbers are excellent and resemble the back yard deer numbers I see in Fredericksburg and Boerne. Occasional exotics pass through although, after the freeze I haven't see a single black buck or axis where there used to be free ranging herds spotted regularly. If you really want that axis doe, go with any of the high fence outfitters you will pass between Garvin's Store and Rocksprings.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: 1riot1ranger] #8321134 07/14/21 10:02 PM
A
anthonytexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Correct, I ones I saw were all behind high fences along 41. Thought some might have been available in the low fence area.

Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: anthonytexas] #8324975 07/19/21 01:59 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by anthonytexas

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it is indeed, OVERHUNTED.

Sorry, but 5 blinds on 45 acres is ridiculous at best.....and 45 acres is no ranch in the first place.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Rocksprings Axis Hunt [Re: HornSlayer] #8324977 07/19/21 02:02 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by HornSlayer
45 acres is not a ranch by any respectable measure. No wonder there is a high fence on Two sides. Barely a pasture. I see another high fence on the other two sides in the near future for that place.

I promise you if I owned that other side....or both of them, it'd already be up!

This is a classic example of someone buying a small place and then trying to make money off it by overhunting it.
Very unethical IMHO.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide