How many times a day do you set feeder to go off, and for how long
Was thinking about once in the morning and evening for about 30 seconds
Thanks

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8269850 05/19/21 02:53 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Whoa up there friend! I know there's lots of variables, but, for most of us, 30 seconds, 2x a day, we'd have to fill the feeder every 3rd day or so. This time of year, let's go with 2 to 4 seconds. Late October go to 5 to 7. Save...your...money!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8269877 05/19/21 03:44 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
5 seconds 2x day.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8269923 05/19/21 08:38 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
What type of feeder do you have?

My feeder throws approximately 3-1/4 lbs on a five second cycle. Twice per day, my 600 lb feeder empties in three months.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270031 05/19/21 12:48 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Depending on your equipment and what are you trying to accomplish...Probably most folks just put out very little just to keep deer traveling by. One other thing, no two deer leases are alike so different times for different leases for different reasons. 30 seconds on the timer may seem very aggressive..however, it is not all that aggressive if you have reasons you think is necessary. I have to say set your timer .... then adjust it such that it will accomplish your target reason. Experience will teach you how to set your timer.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270051 05/19/21 01:10 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
1/2 a second if it's filled with corn. Seen prices lately?

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270057 05/19/21 01:13 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
all depends on how much corn you want to throw that will get consumed by the animals. Pretty much all of my set ups (maintaining ~14) throw about 2 pounds of corn per second (give or take) and I have them all set for twice a day (7:15-7:30 am and 4:50-5:20 pm) for 1 second (2 lbs) from Feb. thru Aug. (about 90 days) and 2-4 seconds (4-8 lbs) Sept. thru Jan.

easy way to tell how much corn your feeder throw, take an open top 5 gallon bucket and slip up over the feeder motor box after pushing the test button. That should give you approximate lbs for the number of seconds your test runs the motor. Then you can adjust the timer accordingly for how many pounds you want to dispense.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270090 05/19/21 01:43 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
We just spritz 1 second throws on corn feeders in off season and keep protein feeders full. We'll ramp up spin times @ September but even then only 2-3 seconds morning and evening. We run 2-3 broadcast feeders at each spot to minimize risk of having a solo feeder fail. Nothing more frustrating to show up and realize you haven't been spinning anything for a week or more.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270109 05/19/21 01:58 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
4 times a day on my feeders. During the offseason I feed at dark, in the nightime and before or at daylight. Sept, I feed 4 times a day and start at about 10 minutes after daylight, 1 hour later, then about 1.5 hrs before dark and then about 10 minutes before sundown. The amount of seconds depends on the range conditions and how the deer are hitting the feeders. Trail cams give me that info.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: stxranchman] #8270195 05/19/21 03:22 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by stxranchman
4 times a day on my feeders. During the offseason I feed at dark, in the nightime and before or at daylight. Sept, I feed 4 times a day and start at about 10 minutes after daylight, 1 hour later, then about 1.5 hrs before dark and then about 10 minutes before sundown. The amount of seconds depends on the range conditions and how the deer are hitting the feeders. Trail cams give me that info.

As much as I respect STX, I dont think you can convince me to feed at night. I would still love to know your thinking behind it.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270213 05/19/21 03:39 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
During the off season, I only feed at night. It's hot during the day and our deer are nocturnal during this time anyways.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Ranch Dawg] #8270214 05/19/21 03:42 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
5 seconds 2x day.

This and I don't feed now it's too green. Usually start 1st of Sept.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Hudbone] #8270216 05/19/21 03:42 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
During the off season, I only feed at night. It's hot during the day and our deer are nocturnal during this time anyways.

I assumed that could be the only reason but still doesnt seem to make that much sense. Im an open minded kind of a guy so I will think about it.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270249 05/19/21 04:03 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
We don't start slinging until September. Feeder sling times are different because no two feeders sling the same amount. We try to get at least 6 weeks out of 6 bags.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: titan2232] #8270336 05/19/21 05:16 PM
G
Gw123 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by titan2232
1/2 a second if it's filled with corn. Seen prices lately?

Couldn’t agree more. Feedlot I work at is buying corn for $8.50 a bushel right now. Our feed last year this time was around $230 a ton, a little up or down depending on the week, now it’s costing $360 a ton

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: freerange] #8270359 05/19/21 05:39 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by freerange

I assumed that could be the only reason but still doesnt seem to make that much sense. Im an open minded kind of a guy so I will think about it.

What doesn't make sense? Why in the whole wide world would you want to feed something when it is not there? Just throw it out the there in the morning so varmints and birds consume it all before your targeted consumer gets there? That makes no sense (zero) here.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Hudbone] #8270367 05/19/21 05:49 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by freerange

What doesn't make sense? Why in the whole wide world would you want to feed something when it is not there? Just throw it out the there in the morning so varmints and birds consume it all before your targeted consumer gets there? That makes no sense (zero) here.

I said “doesn’t make that much sense”, not NO sense. What doesn’t make sense to me is getting them off their timing pattern of coming to a certain place at a CERTAIN TIME. I’m not saying what’s right or wrong but that’s my thought process. Maybe way north of you so it’s not as hot, but our deer still come to feeder in the morning. I’m really impressed with anyone that would think so far as to feed at night-just never heard of it. I’m still thinking about it.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270381 05/19/21 06:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Why not feed when the deer are most active? I am only interested in feeding mature deer so I feed when they are most active in the antler growing season. This is when I feed in the offseason... "During the offseason I feed at dark, in the nightime and before or at daylight." ..so 3 or 4 times per day. I keep them coming to the locations year round with the way I feed...I keep them coming from the time they jump into the feed pens and until they are killed by me or a neighbor. I start adjusting feed times gradually at the end of the summer to get them into the daylight hunting times. The deer are most active at first or last light due to the heat and time of the year. I also feed protein so they are getting free choice protein 24 hrs per day...wanna guess when the bucks are most active in the summer time? The hours of 11 pm to 4 am is when I get most of the pics of mature bucks when it is hot and dry. Rainy or cooler summer temps will get them active closer to first or last light. They are still going to be back in the feed pens from 11 pm to 4 am. Mature healthy deer in most of Texas are not going to spend a lot of time in the daylight. The only deer active in the daylight hours in the summer will be does, fawns and maybe a few young bucks. If there is corn leftover from the last morning feed then they can get to it. Same for the time at or close to dark. When deer are raised around the sound of a feeder going off..guess when they show up...when they hear it. Once they are used to time changes they still react to it the same, even after a feed time change. Using a tailgate/road feeder for the last 30 yrs has taught me that deer will react to the sound of a feeder when they hear it or need it.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: stxranchman] #8270391 05/19/21 06:18 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Why not feed when the deer are most active? I am only interested in feeding mature deer so I feed when they are most active in the antler growing season. This is when I feed in the offseason... "During the offseason I feed at dark, in the nightime and before or at daylight." ..so 3 or 4 times per day. I keep them coming to the locations year round with the way I feed...I keep them coming from the time they jump into the feed pens and until they are killed by me or a neighbor. I start adjusting feed times gradually at the end of the summer to get them into the daylight hunting times. The deer are most active at first or last light due to the heat and time of the year. I also feed protein so they are getting free choice protein 24 hrs per day...wanna guess when the bucks are most active in the summer time? The hours of 11 pm to 4 am is when I get most of the pics of mature bucks when it is hot and dry. Rainy or cooler summer temps will get them active closer to first or last light. They are still going to be back in the feed pens from 11 pm to 4 am. Mature healthy deer in most of Texas are not going to spend a lot of time in the daylight. The only deer active in the daylight hours in the summer will be does, fawns and maybe a few young bucks. If there is corn leftover from the last morning feed then they can get to it. Same for the time at or close to dark. When deer are raised around the sound of a feeder going off..guess when they show up...when they hear it. Once they are used to time changes they still react to it the same, even after a feed time change. Using a tailgate/road feeder for the last 30 yrs has taught me that deer will react to the sound of a feeder when they hear it or need it.

That all makes sense and I really appreciate the info. I’m a creature of habit and I just never heard of feeding at night so I had never given it any thought. I need to spend more time thinking outside the box(or more time on THF where y’all think for me.) up

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270398 05/19/21 06:23 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
We start turning it back around labor Day. September is also typically the first month we start to get photos of deer when the sun is up.

Feed 'em when they want it and will get to it is what we say.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Ranch Dawg] #8270399 05/19/21 06:27 PM
C
crash700 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
5 seconds 2x day.

I do this year round.

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270400 05/19/21 06:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Most mature deer and most deer in general are going to have to travel a distance to get to a feeder. They don't live that close in most cases, so traveling in the heat is not the norm for an animal in a fur coat. Unless you have a feeder at water or very close to it, deer are generally going to go to water first then to a feeder in the evenings. In the mornings they are going to leave a feeder and go to water...IME most bucks will leave a feed pen 30 to 60 minutes before daylight. They will be at water then heading to their bedding area. One of the first things I do is look at water, travel routes and bedding areas. If I can't put the 3 very close together at the feed location then I I will put the travel/bedding areas close the feeder and move water to it. Early season hunting is much better when you have water at the feeder location.

Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: stxranchman] #8270436 05/19/21 07:10 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Right now my corn feeders are going off just after sundown and about 30-40 minutes before sunup!
About mid September I will adjust it some for only the afternoon feed time. The morning feed time never changes unless I go even earlier in the off-season.
During the season I keep my feeders going off about 35-40 minutes before sunup. Yes it is still dark and that is good because this will some times entice mature more nocturnal bucks to it and they will sometimes stay until you can see them good. My afternoon feed time during the season will be between 30 minutes and 1 hour before sundown.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Displaced Texan] #8270808 05/20/21 01:12 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
During hunting season: 6:00AM- 8 seconds. Noon, 4 seconds. 4:00 PM 5 seconds.

During the year, 7:00AM for 5 seconds and 6:00PM for 5 seconds.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Setting Timer on feeder [Re: Creekrunner] #8272120 05/21/21 10:43 AM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Whoa up there friend! I know there's lots of variables, but, for most of us, 30 seconds, 2x a day, we'd have to fill the feeder every 3rd day or so. This time of year, let's go with 2 to 4 seconds. Late October go to 5 to 7. Save...your...money!

At nearly $10 a #50 now you could go broke at 30 seconds a pop. I do 4 seconds twice a day during season & 2 seconds twice a day the other 9.5 months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide