texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Pmcmah7, Tim Q, Ckohutek, Rbrt3474, Colt5051
68590 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 108,446
bill oxner 86,206
stxranchman 57,850
SnakeWrangler 57,222
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 43,091
BMD 41,219
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics606,716
Posts11,361,572
Members83,590
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
#800 #8265505 05/14/21 10:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
O
Old Stony Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
O
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/SnIjAE3" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/SnIjAE3">#800</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Finally got up to the 800 mark on the property Iike to hunt on. I don't know if my old body will put up with it, but I'd sure like to hit 1,000 someday !

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8265525 05/14/21 11:06 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,507
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,507
Originally Posted by Old Stony
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/SnIjAE3" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/SnIjAE3">#800</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Finally got up to the 800 mark on the property Iike to hunt on. I don't know if my old body will put up with it, but I'd sure like to hit 1,000 someday !


Gotta fix your picture link Stony, it's just gobbledygook. But congratulations at any rate! You high-number pig killers keep me inspired to keep at 'em. up


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8265593 05/14/21 12:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 10,575
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 10,575
Man that’s great

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8265657 05/14/21 01:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,413
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,413
That's a lot of bacon. up Congratulations.


Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8265998 05/14/21 07:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,659
F
flintknapper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,659
Originally Posted by Old Stony
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/SnIjAE3" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/SnIjAE3">#800</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Finally got up to the 800 mark on the property Iike to hunt on. I don't know if my old body will put up with it, but I'd sure like to hit 1,000 someday !



I imagine you will. Good to hear from you Stony.

Keep after 'em.


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266101 05/14/21 09:34 PM
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 2
P
PAHunter-06 Offline
Green Horn
Offline
Green Horn
P
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 2
All,

A bit off topic, but you all seem like the guys to ask.
I am an experienced big game hunter (lots of waterfowl too) from about an hour north of Philadelphia. I have been invited by a client to head down near Dallas to clean up hogs. My contacts generally don't eat them though. I want to give it a try. My question is how do I ship the meat home? I will only be down for a Fri - Sat night hunt session and will have to fly back mid-day Sunday. That doesn't leave any time for butchering, let alone freezing. Up here we like to hang out deer and bear at least long enough to let rigor clear, which sometimes 2 days or so. Also, we don't have Texas summer heat to deal with. In other words, I don't have time to manage the meat myself. I'd like to drop off the gutted hogs (see that...I am banking on more than one! but my 2020 PA archery season might suggest otherwise) at a processor and have the frozen meat shipped home. I talked to the guys at Kuby's Wild Game Processing, which is pretty close to Dallas Fort Worth Airport and would be perfect. They were happy to do the butchering but won't ship for me. Do any of you have any suggestions. I am planning on going down mid-July.

Re: #800 [Re: PAHunter-06] #8266108 05/14/21 09:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 791
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 791
Originally Posted by PAHunter-06
All,

A bit off topic, but you all seem like the guys to ask.
I am an experienced big game hunter (lots of waterfowl too) from about an hour north of Philadelphia. I have been invited by a client to head down near Dallas to clean up hogs. My contacts generally don't eat them though. I want to give it a try. My question is how do I ship the meat home? I will only be down for a Fri - Sat night hunt session and will have to fly back mid-day Sunday. That doesn't leave any time for butchering, let alone freezing. Up here we like to hang out deer and bear at least long enough to let rigor clear, which sometimes 2 days or so. Also, we don't have Texas summer heat to deal with. In other words, I don't have time to manage the meat myself. I'd like to drop off the gutted hogs (see that...I am banking on more than one! but my 2020 PA archery season might suggest otherwise) at a processor and have the frozen meat shipped home. I talked to the guys at Kuby's Wild Game Processing, which is pretty close to Dallas Fort Worth Airport and would be perfect. They were happy to do the butchering but won't ship for me. Do any of you have any suggestions. I am planning on going down mid-July.



Shipping meat is very expensive. Very.

Couple of friends were down and shot a couple of deer, and checked high and low about shipping the meat to NM.

Fed-Ex would do it for an exorbitant amount of money for Next Day Delivery, if packaged in chests with dry ice. (Finding dry ice was another problem, as it seems hardly any place sells it anymore).

They decided against shipping the meat.

Re: #800 [Re: BbarVRanch] #8266131 05/14/21 10:15 PM
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 2
P
PAHunter-06 Offline
Green Horn
Offline
Green Horn
P
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 2
Wow. Dry ice is always available around here. I've shipped solid frozen meat in a Styrofoam containers with dry ice and had it still be rock solid after 5 days. Overnight really isn't necessary. I wonder if I slip the guy at Kuby's $100 if he'd do it if i have everything set up...cooler, box and shipping label.

Re: #800 [Re: PAHunter-06] #8266133 05/14/21 10:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,984
D
Dalroo Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,984
Originally Posted by PAHunter-06
Wow. Dry ice is always available around here. I've shipped solid frozen meat in a Styrofoam containers with dry ice and had it still be rock solid after 5 days. Overnight really isn't necessary. I wonder if I slip the guy at Kuby's $100 if he'd do it if i have everything set up...cooler, box and shipping label.


Check with these guys - located about 20-25 minutes west of DFW Airport and seem to be good to deal with when I've been in - http://www.cinnamoncreekranch.com/

Good luck and we look forward to hearing or your Texas hunting experiences!


Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
No matter where you go, there you are...
Re: #800 [Re: PAHunter-06] #8266151 05/14/21 10:35 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,659
F
flintknapper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,659
Originally Posted by PAHunter-06
Wow. Dry ice is always available around here. I've shipped solid frozen meat in a Styrofoam containers with dry ice and had it still be rock solid after 5 days. Overnight really isn't necessary. I wonder if I slip the guy at Kuby's $100 if he'd do it if i have everything set up...cooler, box and shipping label.


IF you kill several pigs (and you probably will) you might consider just taking the back-straps (no butchering or gutting necessary) packing those well in a Styrofoam cooler with gel packs (if you can't find dry ice) and shipping it back 2nd day UPS. As long as you have a way to freeze some gel packs in advance of your departure it should keep the meat cold enough. The Back-Straps are the best part anyway.


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: #800 [Re: PAHunter-06] #8266174 05/14/21 10:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,507
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,507
Originally Posted by PAHunter-06
Wow. Dry ice is always available around here. I've shipped solid frozen meat in a Styrofoam containers with dry ice and had it still be rock solid after 5 days. Overnight really isn't necessary. I wonder if I slip the guy at Kuby's $100 if he'd do it if i have everything set up...cooler, box and shipping label.


welcome

I wouldn't bother. It's just not worth the trouble. Help him out, shoot a whole lotta pigs, and have a whole bunch of fun!


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266245 05/15/21 12:22 AM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
O
Old Stony Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
O
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
[Linked Image]
Thought I'd try for a pic again...

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266247 05/15/21 12:23 AM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
O
Old Stony Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
O
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
[Linked Image]
Thought I'd try for a pic again...

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266251 05/15/21 12:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 52
T
Tortoise2187 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 52
Did you tag it with that percussion cap pistol?

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266255 05/15/21 12:30 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,209
M
Michael W. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,209
Good job, especially is you got it with that pistol.



A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266312 05/15/21 01:49 AM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 735
E
ErikL Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
E
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 735
agree with back straps/tenderloin idea. Could buy a cooler and put on plan as an extra checked bag. be about same price of shipping or less by time all said and done

Re: #800 [Re: Tortoise2187] #8266503 05/15/21 09:53 AM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
O
Old Stony Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
O
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
I did tag that one with a percussion pistol. I actually shoot quite a bit with muzzleloaders as I love playing with them. That pistol is a shorter one I had custom built for me in .40 caliber. I normally use about 30 gr. of 3f in it with a round ball, and it does just fine on hogs at shorter distances. The hog in the picture didn't know I was in a stand near her, and wandered within about 15 yards of me. I nailed her between the eyes and just a little high as that usually drops them right on the spot. I guess one day I'll have to get me a bigger caliber handgun again as I don't have any over .45 caliber anymore. In the past I've dropped hogs with calibers .40, .45, .50, .54, and even a .62 smoothbore pistol.

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266599 05/15/21 01:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 52
T
Tortoise2187 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Old Stony
I did tag that one with a percussion pistol. I actually shoot quite a bit with muzzleloaders as I love playing with them. That pistol is a shorter one I had custom built for me in .40 caliber. I normally use about 30 gr. of 3f in it with a round ball, and it does just fine on hogs at shorter distances. The hog in the picture didn't know I was in a stand near her, and wandered within about 15 yards of me. I nailed her between the eyes and just a little high as that usually drops them right on the spot. I guess one day I'll have to get me a bigger caliber handgun again as I don't have any over .45 caliber anymore. In the past I've dropped hogs with calibers .40, .45, .50, .54, and even a .62 smoothbore pistol.


That's really cool. Hate it when I have to get another gun. grin

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266750 05/15/21 03:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,373
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,373
We just brought our bears home from Canada on the plane. Packed in an ice chest, was frozen when we left though, and still frozen when we got home to DFW.


I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
southwestdocks@gmail.com
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266775 05/15/21 04:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,733
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,733
800 is a bunch of pigs.
I have killed a few hundred, but no where near that many


[Linked Image]
"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266779 05/15/21 04:17 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 12,596
C
colt.45 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 12,596
coolpics
up on the pistal took a hog few years back with me .45 Kentucky bout 3×as big.
bang forgot ta switch measure on flask, .22grs for me .44 revolver twas on flask...
Hog didnt go far...
cheers enjoy using my BP guns on hogs also, going old school...
PAHunter-06 welcome ta texasHF...
Hog hunting bounce tis a blast...


flag



i'm postaddic
Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8266796 05/15/21 04:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 10,575
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 10,575
Very cool sir

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8268172 05/17/21 01:17 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 499
J
JTPinTX Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
J
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 499
First off, congrats on 800 hogs. That is a lot.

Secondly, that is really cool busting them with the muzzle loaders. That is a lot more work than the way I kill them, lol.

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8268419 05/17/21 05:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,827
B
Birdboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,827
Cool I think I've shot 8 not 800!! Awesome!

Re: #800 [Re: Old Stony] #8268552 05/17/21 08:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
O
Old Stony Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
O
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 953
I just traded for a .62 caliber smoothbore pistol that I owned years ago. It is a flintlock Sitting Fox brand. I think it's going to have to go out with me and see if it will do it's job on a hog. I have a big bunch of .600 round balls to use in it and I might even try some buckshot !

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3