N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Grizz
If there are any negatives to having an LTC, I don't know what they are. I can't think of a single one.

^^^^^^^

Re: LTC downside? [Re: syncerus] #8264569 05/13/21 03:26 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by syncerus
If you have a license, you must declare that you are armed and also declare any other firearms in your vehicle when pulled over. If you are unlicensed, there is no such legal obligation. That said, I'm licensed and intend to stay licensed in the future, if only for the benefit of interstate reciprocity.

I’m aware you are required to present your license when carrying a handgun but unless asked I don’t think you are required to declare firearms. Definitely not required to declare all weapons you are in possession of. I’ve only been pulled over a handful of times while I had a LTC but never was I asked if I had a gun with me. Guess that was obvious.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.
If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

Last edited by krmitchell; 05/13/21 03:32 AM.
Re: LTC downside? [Re: krmitchell] #8264581 05/13/21 03:43 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by krmitchell
If you have a license, you must declare that you are armed and also declare any other firearms in your vehicle when pulled over. If you are unlicensed, there is no such legal obligation. That said, I'm licensed and intend to stay licensed in the future, if only for the benefit of interstate reciprocity.

I’m aware you are required to present your license when carrying a handgun but unless asked I don’t think you are required to declare firearms. Definitely not required to declare all weapons you are in possession of. I’ve only been pulled over a handful of times while I had a LTC but never was I asked if I had a gun with me. Guess that was obvious.

If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

That's odd. I've been pulled over a handful of times in the last decade or so. I produce both licenses, and the first question the officer asks is if I'm carrying. 2nd question is where it's located. Never had them ask if there are other weapons, but they always want to know where my carry weapon is.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: krmitchell] #8264582 05/13/21 03:44 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

During the time handgun licenses existed in my 25 years of being a police officer, I was always happy to see a handgun license. I knew at least the person was already vetted by the DPS and wasn't just a guy with a strap.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8264584 05/13/21 03:45 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

During the time handgun licenses existed in my 25 years of being a police officer, I was always happy to see a handgun license. I knew at least the person was already vetted by the DPS and wasn't just a guy with a strap.

Also part of the reason I show my LTC regardless if I’m armed or not. Professional courtesy IMO.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8264598 05/13/21 04:04 AM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I've noticed that after the initial conversation and showing of my LTC, the officer pulling me over does seem more relaxed. Don't know if it's just a false impression, but your statement seems to back that up.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: patriot07] #8264626 05/13/21 10:52 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by patriot07
Someone who is grossly incompetent with a gun cannot pass an LTC written/shooting test.

Just because someone has an LTC does NOT mean they can properly use a firearm. How many of you that do have an LTC had a complete disaster "student" in your class? Now all of you raise your hands.

You inverted my point.

Pass the gravy.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: unclebubba] #8264674 05/13/21 12:03 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's odd. I've been pulled over a handful of times in the last decade or so. I produce both licenses, and the first question the officer asks is if I'm carrying. 2nd question is where it's located. Never had them ask if there are other weapons, but they always want to know where my carry weapon is.

Been stopped twice in the last 12 month's (I'm the worlds worst at failure to signal). both times the Trooper and the Deputy didn't have to ask a damn thing. I handed them both license's and told them I had a weapon and where it was located. I was given verbal warnings and went on about my business. I'm getting so good at signaling now I even catch myself doing it on the ranch.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: LTC downside? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8264679 05/13/21 12:09 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

LTC goes on top of DL to the officer or trooper.

They ask if I have it with me, "yes sir, in the holster on my belt". Usually hear as long as it stays there everything is fine.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: LTC downside? [Re: krmitchell] #8264685 05/13/21 12:16 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Also part of the reason I show my LTC regardless if I’m armed or not. Professional courtesy IMO.

Ain't no sense making things anymore difficult than they already are, the easier you make things for the officer the better the outcome.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: GasGuzzler] #8264686 05/13/21 12:19 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Someone who is grossly incompetent with a gun cannot pass an LTC written/shooting test.

Just because someone has an LTC does NOT mean they can properly use a firearm. How many of you that do have an LTC had a complete disaster "student" in your class? Now all of you raise your hands.

You inverted my point.

A new student doesn't concern me as much as the ones that think they know everything, that's where your real disaster can happen.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: HWY_MAN] #8264690 05/13/21 12:24 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Been stopped twice in the last 12 month's (I'm the worlds worst at failure to signal). both times the Trooper and the Deputy didn't have to ask a damn thing. I handed them both license's and told them I had a weapon and where it was located. I was given verbal warnings and went on about my business. I'm getting so good at signaling now I even catch myself doing it on the ranch.

It just dawned on me that both times my AR was sitting barrel down on the passenger side of the truck, they didn't seem to concerned.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: GasGuzzler] #8264691 05/13/21 12:24 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

You inverted my point.

At least 3 people in my LTC class were renting firearms for the test that day because they had never owned one….

Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8264731 05/13/21 01:14 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Every time I’m handed an ltc I hand It right back. Never asked if they’re armed or where the gun is or any of that nonsense.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: krmitchell] #8264763 05/13/21 01:45 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

You inverted my point.

At least 3 people in my LTC class were renting firearms for the test that day because they had never owned one….

Not sure what that's suppose to mean but I can say this. I've had to take a bunch of classes since 95 and I've only seen one problem and that problem got kicked out of the class. It wasn't a newbie but one of the above I described earlier. He seemed to have great difficulty in keeping his weapon holstered so he was asked to leave.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: cbump] #8264768 05/13/21 01:49 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by cbump
Every time I’m handed an ltc I hand It right back. Never asked if they’re armed or where the gun is or any of that nonsense.

I don't do it so much as law but out of respect, the way things have been going here lately I worry about all of y'all, if I can make your job easier I'm going to. The two Deputies from Eden passed through town yesterday, folks on both sides of the road stopped to pay their respects.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: patriot07] #8264840 05/13/21 02:40 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
So...anybody who has super basic firearms knowledge can pass. The only folks who fail are those who have no business carrying a gun in public. And this is a problem because....

I get what you guys are saying, but common sense has to come into play at some point.

Sounds gun controlish to me. Are you a firearms instructor by any chance?

Re: LTC downside? [Re: HWY_MAN] #8264880 05/13/21 03:34 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I don't do it so much as law but out of respect

Agree. I don't have LTC but I often have arms in the truck. I'm not required to but I always tell them I'm in possession out of respect and so we don't have surprises. Most don't seem concerned. In fact, only once did an officer get a little anxious. She asked where it was and I told her, 1 under the console here next to me and a rifle in the back seat. She said just don't reach for it. That confused me, while the heck would I tell her about it if I had any intention of reaching for it? I'm thinking she was new and to be honest, I don't blame her. It was a dark country road and no other soles were anywhere near.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: HWY_MAN] #8264897 05/13/21 04:06 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I don't do it so much as law but out of respect, the way things have been going here lately I worry about all of y'all, if I can make your job easier I'm going to. The two Deputies from Eden passed through town yesterday, folks on both sides of the road stopped to pay their respects.

I agree and it’s appreciated. I just think it’s a waste of breath and IMO condescending to someone for an officer to be handed an LTC and then ask where the gun is and say things like “as long as it stays there everything is ok”.
To me, the people that are handing you their ltc aren’t the ones to worry about.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: garyrapp55] #8264898 05/13/21 04:07 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

Agree. I don't have LTC but I often have arms in the truck. I'm not required to but I always tell them I'm in possession out of respect and so we don't have surprises. Most don't seem concerned. In fact, only once did an officer get a little anxious. She asked where it was and I told her, 1 under the console here next to me and a rifle in the back seat. She said just don't reach for it. That confused me, while the heck would I tell her about it if I had any intention of reaching for it? I'm thinking she was new and to be honest, I don't blame her. It was a dark country road and no other soles were anywhere near.

This is my point.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: cbump] #8264905 05/13/21 04:16 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

This is my point.

I never volunteer any information but I can’t remember the last time I was pulled over that the cop didn’t ask if I had any weapons in the vehicle.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: cbump] #8264906 05/13/21 04:18 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I agree and it’s appreciated. I just think it’s a waste of breath and IMO condescending to someone for an officer to be handed an LTC and then ask where the gun is and say things like “as long as it stays there everything is ok”.
To me, the people that are handing you their ltc aren’t the ones to worry about.

You may not ask for it, but I am not offended when a officer does ask where it is, and of course the "just don't reach for it" I have gotten that too. I understand that some officers grew up with guns, and are not more leary of someone just because they possesses one. I also understand that some officers did not grow up around guns, and may not have been exposed to guns until the academy. I suspect that the latter are the one's that ask where it is and say "just don't reach for it"

Re: LTC downside? [Re: cbump] #8264914 05/13/21 04:27 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

This is my point.

I got pulled over in Kingsville one night headed to the ranch (trailer light went out). Did everything by the book. Asked me to step out of the truck and stand in the ditch for my safety while they ran me and the vin on my buggy. Officer said "you said right front pocket right". "Yes Sir, I've got a 380 in my right front pocket. Loaded 22 pistol under the center consol. Loaded snub nose 38 special in the center console. Loaded 40 cal pistol in the camo bag in the back seat, and 3 unloaded rifles in cases in the back seat". Officer - "OK, just keep your pistol in your pocket and your hands where I can see them". Me - "Yes Sir", but couldn't help to think....Um yeh, right now would be the PERFECT time for me to pull out a handgun without him knowing LOL. Why would I do that. Jeez. I suppose though, maybe there is a reason he told me that. Maybe he's had some nervous fellow pull their piece and freak them out, and understandably so.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: unclebubba] #8264931 05/13/21 04:50 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

You may not ask for it, but I am not offended when a officer does ask where it is, and of course the "just don't reach for it" I have gotten that too. I understand that some officers grew up with guns, and are not more leary of someone just because they possesses one. I also understand that some officers did not grow up around guns, and may not have been exposed to guns until the academy. I suspect that the latter are the one's that ask where it is and say "just don't reach for it"

I bet you’re right. Never thought of that but It makes a lot of sense. I also think a lot of people (officers) just don’t know how to read someone.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: skinnerback] #8265117 05/13/21 08:40 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by skinnerback

This is my point.

I got pulled over in Kingsville one night headed to the ranch (trailer light went out). Did everything by the book. Asked me to step out of the truck and stand in the ditch for my safety while they ran me and the vin on my buggy. Officer said "you said right front pocket right". "Yes Sir, I've got a 380 in my right front pocket. Loaded 22 pistol under the center consol. Loaded snub nose 38 special in the center console. Loaded 40 cal pistol in the camo bag in the back seat, and 3 unloaded rifles in cases in the back seat". Officer - "OK, just keep your pistol in your pocket and your hands where I can see them". Me - "Yes Sir", but couldn't help to think....Um yeh, right now would be the PERFECT time for me to pull out a handgun without him knowing LOL. Why would I do that. Jeez. I suppose though, maybe there is a reason he told me that. Maybe he's had some nervous fellow pull their piece and freak them out, and understandably so.

If an Officer told me to 'keep my pistol in my pocket and hands where I can see them' I'm not sure I couldn't start laughing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide