Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LTC downside? #8263080 05/11/21 09:22 PM
J
jcarring99 Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
J
I’ve always heard there were downsides to having a LTC. I realize thjj in bags have changed but why was it not necessarily a good thing to have a LTC?

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263148 05/11/21 10:01 PM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
There is not one single solitary bad side to having an LTC period. The reverse cannot be said for unlicensed carry:

LTC:
*You instantly have reciprocity with every other state that grants it:
*You never again are subject to a NICS Check...ever. You present your LTC and walk out with your gun, period - always.
*It remains to be seen what happens with 30.06/30.07 law and businesses? - Right now I can carry wherever licensed carry is allowed. Unless they now say UNLICENSED carry is permitted on the premises (and something tells me they won't) - you may find yourself not able to carry in as many businesses when unlicensed as licensed? Perhaps this is addressed in the constitutional carry law, not sure as I didn't follow it because i'm not giving up my LTC.
* There are stupid actions one can take that will get your license revoked. I would only assume, those same stupid actions results in loss of constitutional carry privileges. If they do not - then there, that would be the one area where unlicensed carry is advantageous over LTC.

Unlicensed Carry:
*You have no reciprocity unless you visit another state that also has constitutional carry.
*If you purchase a firearm from a dealer, you have to do the NICS check and Wait, and Wait, and Wait if there are issues. You may even get a delay.
*Legal Exposure - in the LTC classes you are instructed on what constitutes legal use of force and what does not. The subject of carry insurance is discussed and why you may elect to have it. Someone carrying under Constitutional Carry should know these things too - but they may not. And if the day ever comes where you are forced to use your firearm, I would not be surprised to see attorneys come at an unlicensed carrier harder and from different angles than a licensed carry holder (though to be sure they'll come at you either way, hence why everyone should have some form of legal coverage).
* This may NOT come into play, but I'm curious if it does. My Texas Law Shield coverage is a little over $10 a month. Will it be the same for an unlicensed person that carries? I would not be surprised if it is more. Or will it go up for all covered people?

Just my .02 as a LTC holder that will NOT be giving up his license, ever.

Last edited by Earl; 05/11/21 10:10 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263174 05/11/21 10:21 PM
J
jcarring99 Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
J
I thought I had heard or read that there were some negative legalities to having a license?

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263190 05/11/21 10:34 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If there are any negatives to having an LTC, I don't know what they are. I can't think of a single one.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263210 05/11/21 10:47 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If you have a license, you must declare that you are armed and also declare any other firearms in your vehicle when pulled over. If you are unlicensed, there is no such legal obligation. That said, I'm licensed and intend to stay licensed in the future, if only for the benefit of interstate reciprocity.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263217 05/11/21 10:54 PM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
I'm not aware of any. Just requirements. If you are pulled over, etc. You are required to present your LTC to the officer and inform them that you are carrying but I never considered that a bad thing. I would assume if that is still in place (I've done so ever since I obtained my first LTC over 20 years ago - I would assume it's probably also required under the new constitutional carry law for unlicensed carriers that come into contact with the Police. If not, then some might consider that a benefit to unlicensed carry but I'd sure say that would be a downside for law enforcement so hopefully that's not the case.

Ha, just typed that as you did syncerus..wow, I'm kind of surprised they didn't make it that you had to declare.

Originally Posted by jcarring99
I thought I had heard or read that there were some negative legalities to having a license?

Last edited by Earl; 05/11/21 10:55 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263227 05/11/21 11:02 PM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
If you find registering your gun with the government objectionable, why would you voluntarily register your person with the government by having a LTC?

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263236 05/11/21 11:09 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
If you find registering your gun with the government objectionable, why would you voluntarily register your person with the government by having a LTC?

There is no gun registry in Texas, as well as most states. Even if you purchase something from an FFL. The ATF knows you were checked for long gun, hand gun, or receiver. The 4473 remains in the possession of the FFL.

Nothing wrong with the state government knowing about law abiding gun owners. That's one more step to curtail disarmament. A large group of armed citizens. It started over 600 years ago.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: LTC downside? [Re: BayouGuy] #8263237 05/11/21 11:09 PM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
I won't answer the same question twice, I already listed the reasons why I personally have an LTC and always will. You go on filling out your NICS background checks and be restricted into what states you can carry thru lack of reciprocity. I choose not to. If you never fill out NICS checks because you don't purchase from dealers, and never travel to other states than it works out great for you, not for me so much.

Earl

Originally Posted by BayouGuy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: LTC downside? [Re: Grizz] #8263253 05/11/21 11:23 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Grizz
If there are any negatives to having an LTC, I don't know what they are. I can't think of a single one.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263616 05/12/21 11:32 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I stay in Texas except for golf at Lake Murray and WinStar. I don't carry on the golf course.
I don't buy from dealers so skipping the 4473 wait time is null.
Licenses of all types are merely creative ways to tax and in no way provide authority or prove competence.

Pass the gravy.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: GasGuzzler] #8263637 05/12/21 11:39 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
I stay in Texas except for golf at Lake Murray and WinStar. I don't carry on the golf course.
I don't buy from dealers so skipping the 4473 wait time is null.
Licenses of all types are merely creative ways to tax and in no way provide authority or prove competence.

This is just wrong. Someone who is grossly incompetent with a gun cannot pass an LTC written/shooting test.

I also think there is great value in reviewing legal issues surrounding the use of deadly force twice a decade. I have no issue with the laws surrounding LTC personally. I'm a lot more upset about property taxes than my LTC "tax".

Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263674 05/12/21 12:13 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
When you have to get permission and a permit for a right, it ceases to be a right.

Not sure why so many here are against constitutional carry, but there seems to be plenty.

People have forgotten what freedom is. frown

Texas MAY become the 21st state to pass constitutional carry. We should have been the first...

Re: LTC downside? [Re: BbarVRanch] #8263688 05/12/21 12:29 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
When you have to get permission and a permit for a right, it ceases to be a right.

Good point. What should be a right and what should be a privilege? Is operating a motor vehicle a right? I see no one arguing the requirement of a drivers license, regardless of how ridiculously easy the test is (at least when I took it, if you could get it in drive and sign your name, you passed). I think a vehicle may be as dangerous to public safety as a pistol.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 05/12/21 12:31 PM.
Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263706 05/12/21 12:44 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Operating a motor vehicle is a privilege. Possessing a firearm is a right.

There is nothing negative about having your LTC.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: garyrapp55] #8263708 05/12/21 12:46 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

Good point. What should be a right and what should be a privilege? Is operating a motor vehicle a right? I see no one arguing the requirement of a drivers license, regardless of how ridiculously easy the test is (at least when I took it, if you could get it in drive and sign your name, you passed). I think a vehicle may be as dangerous to public safety as a pistol.

What should be a right IS a right listed in the Bill of Rights in the U.S. Constitution.

It's pretty simple.

I don't see where anyone has the right to operate a motor vehicle listed there.

But, or founding fathers saw the need to list our right to keep and bear arms as a fundamental God given right to defend ourselves and our country. They were not giving U.S. citizens permission to keep and bear arms. They were prohibiting the govt from infringing on it.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8263722 05/12/21 12:50 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Operating a motor vehicle is a privilege. Possessing a firearm is a right.

There is nothing negative about having your LTC.

I agree with you

Re: LTC downside? [Re: garyrapp55] #8263723 05/12/21 12:50 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

It is as dangerous. The big difference to a DL is that there is no constitutionally guaranteed right to operate a motor vehicle. The only time I would see a drawback to LTC is if you are committing a crime...but then, if you are committing a crime while carrying un-licensed...nevemind. I'm going to go gat some coffee.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8263743 05/12/21 12:57 PM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A LTC is bs, you shouldn’t need anything IMO to carry a firearm period. It’s simply another way for big brother to tax you and make more money while keeping tabs on who has what and going on a very special list.. I’ve never had one for the simple fact I thought they were BS, shouldn’t be needed and didn’t want on that list..

Re: LTC downside? [Re: jcarring99] #8264408 05/12/21 11:17 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
So...anybody who has super basic firearms knowledge can pass. The only folks who fail are those who have no business carrying a gun in public. And this is a problem because....

I get what you guys are saying, but common sense has to come into play at some point.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: patriot07] #8264453 05/13/21 12:18 AM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by patriot07
So...anybody who has super basic firearms knowledge can pass. The only folks who fail are those who have no business carrying a gun in public. And this is a problem because....

I get what you guys are saying, but common sense has to come into play at some point.

Anybody who can legally possess a firearm can legally carry in public in Texas now.

Shotgun. AR15. AK47.

How many of the bad guys failed your test, but are still carrying?

At some point you have to treat your citizens as the responsible adults they are, and give them a fighting chance without hassle.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: BbarVRanch] #8264459 05/13/21 12:24 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
At some point you have to treat your citizens as the responsible adults they are, and give them a fighting chance without hassle.

That, and hold everyone responsible for their actions. Authority and responsibility should always be proportional to each other.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: LTC downside? [Re: syncerus] #8264463 05/13/21 12:29 AM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by syncerus

That, and hold everyone responsible for their actions. Authority and responsibility should always be proportional to each other.

It should be. For sure.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: BbarVRanch] #8264505 05/13/21 01:41 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by patriot07

Anybody who can legally possess a firearm can legally carry in public in Texas now.

Shotgun. AR15. AK47.

How many of the bad guys failed your test, but are still carrying?

There are many, many adults who are not responsible. Those who are can pass the test and carry as they please.

Bad guys are doing illegal things and should be punished accordingly. Our response should not be to make dangerous stupidity legal.

Re: LTC downside? [Re: syncerus] #8264507 05/13/21 01:41 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by syncerus

Anyone who has seen the court system in action should have their doubts about whether increasing their power is the right move...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide