Print Thread
Drahthaar #8258210 05/06/21 12:52 AM
B
BoPro Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Looking for some recommendations on breeders from personal experiences. I'm an avid duck hunter and have two Labs that that are totally great, but I've haven't really spent the time to train them for upland. Over the past few years, I've had more opportunities, to go up north and hunt for quail and pheasants. I've hunted behind a few pointing breeds: Brittanys and GSPs, both experiences were awesome. But the Drahthaar, intrigues me.

I'm not ready buy one right now, so I'm no limited to breeders in Texas. Just looking for some more info on the breed based on your experiences.

Thanks

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8258753 05/06/21 04:37 PM
K
koondawgman Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
Go to VDD-GNA.ORG there you will find a complete list of breeders. All the breeders will be happy to talk to you and answer any questions that you might have. From my personal experience talk to as many breeders that you can and find out about their dogs personality's as these dogs defiantly have one and try and match theirs to yours.

I have one that doesn't care if the sun doesn't shine until it is hunt time and my other one is wide open all the time which both suit me.

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8258757 05/06/21 04:40 PM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
my experience with versatle breeds is that they always have a preferred type of hunting -- they may excel at one and are meh at the other. Also, the bigger the gene pool, the better chance you have of finding a superior dog. You will also find that the smaller the gene pool and the rarer the breed, the higher the cost of a puppy or started dog.
You might also consider wirehaireds and pudlepointers if you must have a shaggy breed. If you intend to hunt in Texas, Kansas or Oklahoma you should consider pointers, gsps or Brits,-- they handle the heat better.

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8259073 05/06/21 11:55 PM
B
BoPro Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Thanks everyone for your input. This is just the beginning of my search. I'll check out VDD-GNA.ORG, and will try to learn more about the breed.

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8262520 05/11/21 12:39 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I also recommend VDD-GNA. Don't limit yourself to Texas breeders. I just picked one up in South Dakota. My last one was from Colorado. In my opinion you should look for a breeder with history. There are a lot of new breeders in the past 10 years or so. The old timers are usually the way to go. Also my opinion, don't get a A-D litter. If they make it past D, then they are serious.

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8262728 05/11/21 03:44 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have one and she is an amazing dog. They can be temperamental depending on blood line. Mine came from a blood line that had a very strong prey drive. Maddie is a sweetheart to humans but dog sharp. I can’t hunt her with my lab that she grew up with. They are fiercely loyal, incredibly athletic, toughest breed I’ve been exposed to, and the by far smartest breed. Fwiw, I love labs as I grew up with them, but it’s Drahthaars from here on out. Plus those beards are badazz!

There is a very good Breeder of GWP’s in needville, tx and “Drahthaars” in Katy. I’ll look up names if you want. TBH they are the same dog, but don’t tell the VDD that they get pissy lol.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8262840 05/11/21 05:37 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Great versatile gun dogs.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8265431 05/14/21 03:20 AM
S
Stohner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
If you ever want to check out a pudelpointer, similar, not the same, there are a few in Dallas. Ryan Mcintosh has GWP, which are similar to DD just Navhda system if Im not mistaken..

Re: Drahthaar [Re: Mundo] #8288996 06/09/21 01:07 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mundo
my experience with versatle breeds is that they always have a preferred type of hunting -- they may excel at one and are meh at the other. Also, the bigger the gene pool, the better chance you have of finding a superior dog. You will also find that the smaller the gene pool and the rarer the breed, the higher the cost of a puppy or started dog.
You might also consider wirehaireds and pudlepointers if you must have a shaggy breed. If you intend to hunt in Texas, Kansas or Oklahoma you should consider pointers, gsps or Brits,-- they handle the heat better.

This. Its very hot for DDs in Texas and like Mundo said, I would really look at other breeds unless your strictly waterfowl which it sounds like thats what you mostly do. Even just living here with a wire coat doesnt seem like fun. If you really like the testing system, I would also look at the DK.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8291037 06/10/21 09:39 PM
B
BoPro Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Thanks everyone for the advice. It probably won't be for at least a year before I'm ready to bring another dog home. Just doing my initial research on various pointing breeds that will work with my labs. My next dog will be dedicated for upland pointing in Kansas to South Dakota. I'm certainly willing to look outside of Texas for the right pup.

Re: Drahthaar [Re: BoPro] #8291918 06/11/21 07:46 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’ve been following along but have not responded due to your looking particularly at a Drathaar. A pudlepointer might also be worth looking into. The right versatile can excell in the uplands, as a dedicated retriever, and tracking hot or cold. A word of advice would be to decide which kennel and which breed you want. Then get on a waiting list now if you want a puppy a year from now. There is high demand for versatile dogs from the kennels producing the most sought after proven lines. Waiting lists are typically a year or more.
Getting your hands on a puppy from a repeat breeding of a proven cross that impresses you may take longer. It is also the proven way to stack the odds the most in your favor.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 06/11/21 07:53 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide