Print Thread
Portable remote controlled feeder #8252249 04/29/21 09:05 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im wanting to use a small bucket(4 or 5 gallon) with a spinner assembly on it that can be controlled remotely. Im pretty sure I want The Remote and The Timer.
{{ I know some about The Remote but MY QUESTION is specifically how and what is needed to attach to a bucket(or something similar thats portable).}} I can figure it out but wondered if someone been there and done that.
I want to be able to hand carry it into a stand area and hang it from a tree limb or such. I assume besides The Remote I need a regular control box with everything included like spinner plate, motor, The Timer and battery. To be as light weight and portable as practical Im thinking a 6 volt set up would be a little smaller and lighter(regular feeders I use 12V.) I want it to be noisy since it will be used in different areas where deer arent used to coming into the area for corn. Any advise appreciated.

Last edited by freerange; 04/29/21 09:07 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Portable remote controlled feeder [Re: freerange] #8252296 04/29/21 09:48 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A 5 gallon buckets going to be empty after going off a few times, I’d definitely rethink that plan. If it’s portability then I’d find a plastic 30 gallon barrel and cut the top down as needed and make some back pack straps on the side of it to carry in like a back pack and at least get it to 15-20 gallon capacity otherwise your going to be hunting over an empty bucket after the second day. As far as the timer housing goes, those options are limitless but cheap plastic stuff won’t last long hauling it In like your wanting to do before it gets busted so I’d definitely go with something out of aluminum or lightweight metal. Simply bolt an ammo can on the side of it for a battery/timer holder and you could use all thread and some nuts to attach the motor/spinner plate to the bottom. Options are endless

Re: Portable remote controlled feeder [Re: freerange] #8252474 04/30/21 12:46 AM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I dont see how a feeder going off one time will attract anything--------.

Re: Portable remote controlled feeder [Re: booskay] #8253151 04/30/21 07:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by booskay
I dont see how a feeder going off one time will attract anything--------.

If there are other feeders on the property, they know the sound, it’s ingrained as a food source.

In high density’s areas “the feeder repeater” worked pretty well actually

[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Portable remote controlled feeder [Re: freerange] #8253184 04/30/21 08:22 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Our deer are used to the sound of road feeders and regular timed broadcast feeders. Im fairly certain they will come to the sound if they are in earshot. This new place has a lot of thick timber in places so im not certain if that will dampen the sound. The plan is to put the remote feeder within about 100 to 200 yards of one of our regular feeders so there should be deer close by when the remote one goes off. The reason to use the remote feeder and remote location instead of the already existing permanent feeder is so a serious bow hunter can set up away from the smells and activity associated with filling a feeder and checking cameras. The remote location would remain completely undisturbed and scent free at all times. Another reason for the remote location is that the permanent feeders are set up mostly for rifle and there are not always real tall trees to bow hunt from, which would be a big advantage.
Im also not worried about the bucket getting empty too soon, although that is one on the only downsides I can see. A 5 gallon bucket will hold about 3 days of corn hunting all day. I would probably put an extra stash(secure and sealed) of corn under the tree stand and just carry the remote bucket feeder into stand with it empty to make carrying easier.
It could, and would, also be used when corning roads for rifle to just set it off on the route by hanging on tree limb, or such, and activate it later, as needed.
The "Feeder Repeater" Im not sure if they are still made but I want to try that too.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide