Print Thread
Grand Canyon Bison Hunts #8252232 04/29/21 08:43 PM
D
dkershen Online Content OP
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Reading through this article I was all for throwing my name into the hat until I hit the part about packing it out on my back. Really? I've harvested these before. It is a ton of work using a flat bed truck or trailer and a winch. Even if you bring 3 or 4 buddies along it's still going to be a beating. Thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/grand-canyon-seeks-volunteers-kill-165029848.html

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8252254 04/29/21 09:13 PM
S
SherpaPhil Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
I'm putting my name in the hat.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8252268 04/29/21 09:24 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
If I am not mistaken, this is a drastic step in the opposite direction from prior hunts in the Canyon though the details in this brief still leave a lot in question. On prior offerings, the “volunteer” could not keep any of the meat or hide. In this brief it simply says you can keep “some meat”. I would want full disclosure of what and how much I can keep before going on a work adventure such as this.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8252320 04/29/21 10:03 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Sounds great

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: Theringworm] #8252755 04/30/21 01:07 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Theringworm
If I am not mistaken, this is a drastic step in the opposite direction from prior hunts in the Canyon though the details in this brief still leave a lot in question. On prior offerings, the “volunteer” could not keep any of the meat or hide. In this brief it simply says you can keep “some meat”. I would want full disclosure of what and how much I can keep before going on a work adventure such as this.

Below details are from the NPS.gov website, this is regarded as a "lethal removal" and not a hunt. You are correct in that it doesn't allow you to keep all of the meat.

What is the difference between a lethal removal and a hunt?
Removal is a fundamentally different activity than hunting. Key differences include: (a) During removal, the animals are destroyed primarily for management purposes; in hunting the animal is destroyed for recreational purposes. (b) Removal is conducted under controlled circumstances under the direction and supervision of the National Park Service; hunting is performed at the hunter’s discretion and with elements of “fair chase” present. (c) Removal does not allow the person who killed the animal to keep the entire animal; hunting does. (d) Conclusion: Simply put, removal serves a public purpose, while hunting serves both public and private purposes.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8252787 04/30/21 01:31 PM
T
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
Yea, I should have said “legal/lethal removal” not hunt, I misspoke. In their prior offering a couple of years ago you could not keep ANY meat or hides. It was all donated to the locals/tribes I know the difference between a hunt and a legal/lethal removal but others may not. Just want people to make sure they know what they are actually getting involved in and how much or how little your efforts will be rewarded. Thanks

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8252790 04/30/21 01:34 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I believe it says you must remove the animal or parts on foot. That will be real fun !

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8252801 04/30/21 01:44 PM
B
BigLou Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
sounds fun, north rim of the canyon is beautiful and would be an interesting place to hunt

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8253072 04/30/21 06:03 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
As usual, there is a complete missed opportunity to raise funds and allow hunters to do the job instead of what they are proposing. Why not do a draw and let people actually “hunt”?

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: krmitchell] #8253078 04/30/21 06:11 PM
D
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by krmitchell
As usual, there is a complete missed opportunity to raise funds and allow hunters to do the job instead of what they are proposing. Why not do a draw and let people actually “hunt”?

Agreed. Silly rules. Just sell 200 Buff tags and allow the hunting public to happily solve the problem.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8253174 04/30/21 08:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Originally Posted by dkershen

Agreed. Silly rules. Just sell 200 Buff tags and allow the hunting public to happily solve the problem.

There is a public draw OFF NP tag already. Think it’s a 365 day tag

Best think we could do is dismantle NPS and give responsibility to the NF and give state management of wildlife.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8253298 04/30/21 10:07 PM
D
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Best think we could do is dismantle NPS and give responsibility to the NF and give state management of wildlife.

100% agree, Just talked to my brother who was very involved with AZFGD. They offered to manage that herd years ago and were told they had a handle on it. Absolute bunch of Bozo's (no offense BOBO).

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8253362 04/30/21 11:31 PM
decoy
Online Content
decoy

100% agree, Just talked to my brother who was very involved with AZFGD. They offered to manage that herd years ago and were told they had a handle on it. Absolute bunch of Bozo's (no offense BOBO).

No offense taken, over a million acres in Big Bind and Guadalupe that we should be able to hunt, at a minimum on a draw.

NPS utopian view is Trifling and flawed

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8253642 05/01/21 12:01 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker

From what I read each shooter gets a designated 7 days to “hunt”. With only 12 hunters, each 7 days, no motorized help getting the animal only on foot, horse or mule do they really expect 200 animals to be removed.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: Txhunter65] #8253685 05/01/21 01:20 PM
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Originally Posted by Txhunter65

From what I read each shooter gets a designated 7 days to “hunt”. With only 12 hunters, each 7 days, no motorized help getting the animal only on foot, horse or mule do they really expect 200 animals to be removed.

If you have a decent pack string, it's not a huge chore. There are a lot of pack strings in that country.

I'd be renting mules out

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8253744 05/01/21 02:07 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Reading through this article I was all for throwing my name into the hat until I hit the part about packing it out on my back. Really? I've harvested these before. It is a ton of work using a flat bed truck or trailer and a winch. Even if you bring 3 or 4 buddies along it's still going to be a beating. Thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/grand-canyon-seeks-volunteers-kill-165029848.html

I'm just going to throw this out there Dave. Don't call me to help with the pack out.... roflmao

Originally Posted by MikeC
Never underestimate a meth head!

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: Txhunter65] #8253928 05/01/21 05:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Txhunter65

I read that they will not allow pack animals....has to be packed out on foot.

That would be the breaking point for me....I'll rent out the packing but I'm not gonna pack out a buffalo by myself piece by piece

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8253931 05/01/21 05:05 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Also says you have to use non-lead ammo

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8253938 05/01/21 05:13 PM
G
George S Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
G
Pure twattery on NPS' part.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius
Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: txtrophy85] #8253944 05/01/21 05:22 PM
T
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T

That would be the breaking point for me....I'll rent out the packing but I'm not gonna pack out a buffalo by myself piece by piece

[/quote]

This is what my initial post was getting at. I, and many others would highly consider throwing our name in the hat knowing we got to keep ALL the meat, hide etc. It might actually be worth the strenuous and difficult effort. But to do so for an “unknown amount in return”........ I got better things to do than this. No thanks.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: Theringworm] #8253952 05/01/21 05:34 PM
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Originally Posted by Theringworm

This is what my initial post was getting at. I, and many others would highly consider throwing our name in the hat knowing we got to keep ALL the meat, hide etc. It might actually be worth the strenuous and difficult effort. But to do so for an “unknown amount in return”........ I got better things to do than this. No thanks. [/quote]

I missed that, ya F’that. No pack animals is ignorant. Why wouldn’t you mirror atleast Wilderness rules
Sad deal really a lot of wasted meat

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8254059 05/01/21 08:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would be happy to donate majority of the meat, as long as I could keep some choice cuts for myself. I would certainly want to keep the hide and horns.

But just to shoot one, pack it out on foot and when done have to give up most if not all of the animal is asinine.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8255399 05/03/21 12:40 PM
E
Erny Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
After reading the requirements for the hunt, I am out.

Re: Grand Canyon Bison Hunts [Re: dkershen] #8256014 05/03/21 11:24 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Q
I put in for it. I grew up hunting elk out of a backpack in CO. I have helped pack out moose. I have been involved with 5 bison shot on ranches in WY and MT. The odds of being drawn are going to be long but one thing is for certain: In order to draw you have to put your name in the hat.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide