Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,603
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251519 04/29/21 02:45 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I lived in Fairbanks for a little over 3 years. Absolutely loved it. If I didn't have to leave to go back to school, I would still live up there. Some random thoughts in no particular order:

Cost of living is higher than you think. I was single, shared a house with a roommate, and made, I think, $55k when I left in 2009. I wasn't struggling, but had to pinch pennies for a long time to buy toys like a used snow machine or canoe. At the time, I would say $55k in Fairbanks was equivalent to $40k in DFW. Unalaska will be a higher cost of living than Fairbanks.

You need toys to enjoy living in Alaska. I have spent very little time in the Aleutians, but generally in Alaska, a truck won't get you far. You will need a boat, snow machine, or atv, preferably all three.

Unalaska is in the flipping middle of nowhere. If you are concerned about getting back to visit friends or family, it will be very expensive and time consuming. Same for medical treatment.

You cannot possibly comprehend the natural beauty you will find up there. It's like nowhere else on earth.

The level of daily adventure available to you is incredible. You can get off work and have your choice of salmon fishing, bear hunting, deer hunting, or hiking some of Gods greatest creation.

You can offset some of the cost of living with fish and game. It doesn't make up the difference, but my protein 5-6 nights a week was wild fish or game, without even really trying.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help as much as I can, but keep in mind that Alaska is huge and I lived in Fairbanks. Unalaska to Fairbanks is roughly the same distance as Dallas to New York. So, I'm sure there are regional differences.

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: Payne] #8251520 04/29/21 02:46 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Payne
Go for it, you only live once.

Send it. YOLO and that would be an awesome experience IMHO.

[Linked Image]
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: Payne] #8251530 04/29/21 02:50 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Exactly. However I'd at least visit the state first before committing.

Alaska is awesome, simple as that. Prettiest state I've ever visited by a huge margin

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251531 04/29/21 02:51 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by HandyMan91
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
Or come on down to Houston area and get in petro Chem. It’s a good paying industry and is fairly resilient unlike oil patch. FYI a number of companies still offer pension + 401k. Most entry level operators make 100k with a high school diploma. If you served they look at those individuals as high potential candidates.

Lived out by point blank / Onalaska for a stint. Not a big fan. Never heard of petro chem, guessing your talking like polymer plants? Ill have to do some googling

Yes sir all the chemical plants in From Montgomery to Freeport. Definitely not pretty Or scenic, but good paying jobs so you can afford to go visit nice places like Alaska.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251538 04/29/21 02:55 AM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
“ And I’m with the others in thinking that 10% isn’t enough of an increase to keep you happy. I always figured that 30% was about the right number to change jobs, and you’ll need relocation expenses on top of that. And there’s medical coverage to consider.”

You need to actually read the link to the offer he posted.

Position offers relocation expense, annual travel allowance and 100 percent employer paid medical and dental including dependents. Yeah, I’m in. I could make that work.

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251555 04/29/21 03:12 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
One thing you got going for ya is Climate Change now it won't be as cold as it use to be.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: Payne] #8251557 04/29/21 03:13 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Finally, a voice of reason.

Sounds like a hell of an adventure, to me. If they make an offer, go for it.

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: Sneaky] #8251574 04/29/21 03:26 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Agreed. Looking to move to AK for a adventure and guys are telling him to move to Houston and DFW roflmao

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251590 04/29/21 03:43 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I was told recently by people on here that money isn’t everything. So with that I mind, I say go for it, even if it’s for the sale pay with a higher cost of living, being homeless could be fun I guess.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: Dustnsand] #8251601 04/29/21 04:03 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by z71dustin
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Agreed. Looking to move to AK for a adventure and guys are telling him to move to Houston and DFW roflmao

Man I don’t know much about N. Texas but the 3rd ward and 5th ward would definitely be an adventure! I guess it boils down to your definition of adventure. Lol

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251634 04/29/21 05:28 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Dall Sheep.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251668 04/29/21 10:55 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If it will keep you from posting your yard sale in the classified section, then I say go for it.........

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: GusWayne] #8251672 04/29/21 11:05 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by procraft05
Sounds pretty cool, never been there

Good luck

up

texas flag

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251703 04/29/21 11:36 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I say go for it. Enjoy and have fun, but be smart too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251718 04/29/21 11:55 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Water treatment, entry level . Pays 32-34 an hour. I'm currently 8 years into water and hold B license, working as a public works director, making about 30 now. I feel like I'm topped out in this state as far as what I want to do

Your gonna make more money there and feel poorer

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: RedRanger] #8251720 04/29/21 11:56 AM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by RedRanger
If it will keep you from posting your yard sale in the classified section, then I say go for it.........

Oh snap.

I have met this man personally and HE AND HIS WIFE ARE GOOD PEOPLE. This man is a work a holic. Trading to make money is a good trait, this guy is not lazy.

I wish him lick in what ever he decides.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251779 04/29/21 12:46 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Applied for a job in unalaska, AK today. Pipe dream it will go anywhere, but let's say I get a call, anyone have any experience living in Alaska? Change my mind? Cold isn't an issue

All I'll say is you might want to rethink that cold isn't an issue comment, it's a whole new world of cold and winter conditions up there. Gas, food and housing is outrageous. On Unalsaka there was only one home for sale and it's 350,000, 1 bedroom apartments are around 1700 a month. Once you get there you'll have to find transportation and that may be a real challenge. Looked at a facebook group up there and they only have two trucks for sale. Every trip to the mainland involves a flight and that ain't cheap either. I've got a few friends that thought they would take on Alaska, after their first year they came back down. The fact that they only get 4 to 6 weeks of summer up there might give you an idea of what's to come.

Average Weather in Unalaska Alaska, United States
In Unalaska, the summers are short, cold, and windy; the winters are long, very cold, wet, and extremely windy; and it is overcast year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 30°F to 56°F and is rarely below 21°F or above 62°F.

Based on the tourism score, the best time of year to visit Unalaska for warm-weather activities is for the entire month of August.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251789 04/29/21 12:58 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Or come on down to Houston area and get in petro Chem. It’s a good paying industry and is fairly resilient unlike oil patch. FYI a number of companies still offer pension + 401k. Most entry level operators make 100k with a high school diploma. If you served they look at those individuals as high potential candidates.

Lived out by point blank / Onalaska for a stint. Not a big fan. Never heard of petro chem, guessing your talking like polymer plants? Ill have to do some googling

Now you didn't say that in your original comment so everything in my comment you already knew.

I got married not long after getting out of the ARMY and started a family soon after, had it not been for that there's a good chance I would have made a run at Alaska. I was a pipe welder by trade and the Trans Alaskan Pipeline was still being built, I turned down multiple offers. I've always regretted that decision. Some times I think it's better to regret a decision you made than one you didn't.

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HWY_MAN] #8251794 04/29/21 01:03 PM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Now you didn't say that in your original comment so everything in my comment you already knew.

I got married not long after getting out of the ARMY and started a family soon after, had it not been for that there's a good chance I would have made a run at Alaska. I was a pipe welder by trade and the Trans Alaskan Pipeline was still being built, I turned down multiple offers. I've always regretted that decision. Some times I think it's better to regret a decision you made than one you didn't.

Point blank and Onalaska are out by lake livingston , I've never been to alaska

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251798 04/29/21 01:09 PM
L
LonestarCobra Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I have very few regrets in life, but two of them are missed opportunities. I say try it, you still have plenty of years left if it doesn’t work out.

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251799 04/29/21 01:11 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

I worked in Polk County for a couple of years on a project and the most unique people that strolled into the County Clerk's office all were from Onalaska.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251801 04/29/21 01:12 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Are your guns big enough for that area. With moose, bear and what ever else you hunt there you might have to upgrade and then comes the problem of ammo.

Not thinking of work. A man has to have some time for fun also. grin

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251841 04/29/21 01:45 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Then back to my first comment but don't pass up the third one. You only live once! You can always come back.

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: HandyMan91] #8251850 04/29/21 01:55 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I don't know if I missed it or if you said - are you married?

If you're single - go for it.

If you're married - better have a good long sit-down with your wife - if she's on board - and figure out exactly what her expectations are. My wife THOUGHT she wanted to move to New Hampshire. In her mind everything was like a hallmark movie up there. Make sure this is not your wife's mindset. Needless to say we are still in Texas.

Cold climates are a lot of work and everything is way more expensive. You're going to have shorter days than here in the winter and longer days in the summer. I don't think Unalaska is so far north its super extreme - but I think it's something like 16 hours in the summer and 6-7 hours in the winter.

Re: Applied for a job in Alaska today [Re: spacejunkie] #8251851 04/29/21 01:55 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Are your guns big enough for that area. With moose, bear and what ever else you hunt there you might have to upgrade and then comes the problem of ammo.

Not thinking of work. A man has to have some time for fun also. grin

No bears on Unalaska and I don't believe they have deer or moose.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide